Model S

Don't get in an accident.

edited November -1 in Model S
Sorry for the rant, but I unfortunately got in an accident May 4th.

Just got off the phone with Tesla and the repair shop, and there are still 2 parts that Tesla cannot source, and has no ETA.

What the [email protected]#K!!!!!!!!. 7 weeks (almost 2 months), and my car has still not been worked on, nor do I have any sense on when I will get it back, all because Tesla does not have parts for its vehicles readily available. Of the rest of the parts needed for the repair, they just finally arrived today. That was still 7 weeks to get parts they DID have.

This is unacceptable. I love the car, but I am at the point now that I am making sure anyone I know who is considering buying a Tesla (or waiting for the Model 3) is aware of the issues I (and many others) face every day with this car when repairs are necessary.

Very disappointed.

Please drive safe out there. And don't get in an accident. You may be out of your vehicle for months.

Thanks for listening/reading,

Lonwa

Comments

• edited July 2017
    That is good advice!

I got hit while parked ($6k) and it was in the shop a week. Hit on the highway ($15k) and it was in the shop for 10 days.

Really missed having the car.
  • edited July 2017
    Your issue may also be because the crash was on star wars day. Seems the 4th was not with you.
  • edited November -1
    Great advice - getting into accidents can hurt you. Glad you're safe (perhaps due to the Tesla).

With thousands of parts, many of which are no longer used in production, it is sometimes hard to get the parts you need to replace damaged parts - no matter what brand/ model of car you have. High volume cars that have been in production a long time often have the most parts - since they get into a lot of accidents! If crashing and repairing your car is the most important reason to get a specific car, I always suggest a Toyota Camry. Not nearly as much fun or as safe as the Tesla, but parts are often available due to the high volume of accidents (if the car is not outright totaled and you live through it).
  • edited July 2017
    i hope for the 7 weeks it was parked inside?
  • edited July 2017
    There are two solutions to the problem. Buy a second Tesla for backup. Buy insurance that pays for a Tesla rental while yours is in the shop.
  • edited July 2017
    Lots of newbie's posting negativity since the stock has been retreating.
  • edited November -1
    Even Elon had mentioned he will get more body shop certified and assign a Tesla advisor to oversee the repair and ensure progress. I had heard people who had gotten a loaner after talking to SC or corporate for repair that last beyond a month. Try to ask Tesla SC to see is there anything they can do
  • edited November -1
    And those newbie's never provide you with any info like which SC, which Tesla contact, which body shop and which parts the shop could not secure from Tesla.
  • edited November -1
    And those newbie's never provide you with any info like which SC, which Tesla contact, which body shop and which parts the shop could not secure from Tesla.
  • edited July 2017
    I got a loaner after about 7 weeks.
  • edited November -1
    Rivets obviously!
  • edited November -1
    Some people are just genuinely frustrated with the service experience, and are not stock trolls, whiners or unreasonable. Shame that some people immediately jump to the most malicious explanation versus recognizing that there is a point of frustration when one reaches out for help. Ask yourself, how long is appropriate to wait for parts, regardless of what the part is. I can understand that there will be intermittent delays, and occasional longer delays, but have to ask, what is reasonable? Humorously recommending that someone should buy two cars so they have one that works isn't the most helpful solution. At least, I assume it is humor. For those that make reasonable suggestions such as checking your insurance for its options (most have duration or $ amounts so we are back to how long is acceptable), reposting contacts within Tesla service, or other ways that they have been able to make some reasonable progress, thank you.

If Tesla is going to keep building new cars vs at the expense of servicing the customer that they already have, that is a short sighted view to customer service. Many companies have learned this the hard way. I don't have the reference, but there have been studies which showed that it was incrementally more expensive to obtain new customers vs retaining existing customers. I think I recall the cost was about 10-1.
  • edited July 2017
    Strange. For 4 years my Tesla service has been outstanding. They provide cool loaners when servicing and pick up my car over 250 miles from my home. Please post privately if you are an owner for verification. What country are you in?

I believe Tesla has 98% satisfaction much higher than any company or auto company
  • edited November -1
    I went out and bought knee high galoshes today. the bullshit in the forum is getting close to knee deep
  • edited July 2017
    I'm going to wear my thigh highs.
  • edited November -1
    seems I may have to return the knee highs and go for the thigh highs, beans!
  • edited July 2017
    See if Tesla will take them back.
  • edited July 2017
    Satisfaction is no longer at 98% but still the highest in the industry. That doesn't include independent body shops and the problems getting parts are more common than they should be.
  • edited November -1
    @lonwa - Tesla put new programs in place to help alleviate your problem. Jon McNeil is in charge of revamping this process and has made headway. Please see the below articles, in case you haven't already moved up the chain at Tesla for your parts:

https://www.tesla.com/support/body-shop-support
    https://electrek.co/2017/05/17/tesla-body-shop-program-equipment/

Hopefully this information and contact info will help.
  • edited July 2017
    +1 Tropopause.

Lets see if Ionwa comes back to give real details.
  • edited July 2017
    I am already working with someone on the Tesla Body Shop Support team and have been for the last 5 weeks. Has not helped much but at least I have a point of contact at Tesla who is owning their side of the parts equation. I will try and push for a loaner vehicle now as BarryKMD was able to.

Barry,

Did you escalate that through your local service center, or your body shop advocate?

Thanks

Lonwa
  • edited July 2017
    you will not get a loaner if the car is not in tesla's hands.

what are the parts and who are you speaking to at tesla?
  • edited November -1
    by the way, my boots are on.
  • edited July 2017
    lonwa - I spoke with the service mgr at my local SvC twice. He said no. I then wrote a letter to Elon and sent it Certified Mail (figured a letter would be more noticeable than email). He never responded, but the SvC center called me about a week later offering a loaner.

Silver - just attach your pool pump to your browser.
  • edited July 2017
    I find negative feedback absolutely vital and more helpful in my purchase decisions. When I purchase an unknown quantity, I check first that the product has a overall positive feedback average then I read the negative (not the positive) responses. Why? Ignoring the senseless rants, I want to see what consumers did not like about the product.

And that's why justified negative postings has a place in this forum. The true mark of an exceptional product is not measured by the multitude of accolades but rather in the lack of flaws. If you want a better product you have to identify the faults. Those who only provide positive feedback inhibit the product evolvement process.