General

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Cost of electrician for 240 volt outlet installation

edited November -1 in General
Getting my 1st MS delivered at end of month. Just had an electrician come and give me a quote of $1,260 for installation of the 240 volt NEMA 14-50 outlet. Was wondering what others paid for installation. $1,260 seems a lot to me.

Comments

• edited July 2017
    mikel. It depends on the amount of work required. I'm sure you have received several bids. I cannot stress how important to have a quality electrician do the work (to code).

In my case the electrician had to make minor adjustments to my garage's electrical panel, run about 30 feet of metal conduit (panel to plug), and install and wire the Nema 14-50 outlet. He charged me $500. I thought it was fair.
  • edited July 2017
    Depends on local labor rates. Layout of your home. Local code concerns. If the power panel is in the garage and has the capacity to spare that sounds wildly expensive.
    If they have to install another box and run wire the length of the house thru an attic and you live in CA then it might be fair.
  • edited November -1
    Get multiple bids, and consider having a Tesla Wall Connector installed instead...
  • edited July 2017
    I called a local electrician and was charged 325$, which I thought was very fair. I got lucky and our box is basically right on the other side of my garage wall where the plug is, so it was within 2 feet.

The electrician has hooked up other EV's but this was his first Tesla, which I don't mind giving the guy a chance and it's worked great. Him and his father (who he brought with him) couldn't stop talking about the car, which was great.
  • edited July 2017
    You've given no information about your situation. It could be $200 or it could be $5,000, depending on what needs to be done.
  • edited November -1
    I don't know where you are but in Alabama with an auxiliary box nearby, it cost $100.00 And has worked flawlessly for over 2 years.
  • edited July 2017
    If in SoCal I can recommend an electrician. I paid $450 for a A NEMA 14-50 in 2013. This year I added an HPWC which costs $550 plus $800 for installation. My city provides free permitting and rebates $500 for HPWCs. Both times I used electricians from the Tesla website. Like others said you may have certain requirement that justify the price but it sounds steep. With a quote like that I would get in other quotes.
  • edited July 2017
    Seems high. My electrician not only installed a 240v circuit & outlet, he ran a new 100amp line from my main panel on the house out to the garage (about a 75' run, including trenching & conduit work), and a 120v outdoor outlet on a fence 40' from the garage on its own new gfci circuit for a bit less than that. Northern Virginia.
  • edited November -1
    In May 2014, a Tesla recommended electrician installed my HPWC on a two foot cable run from my electrical box in my garage. He provided the wire and the 100 amp circuit breaker. I pulled the county permit. Final cost was $465.00. Installation was in northern Virginia. Unit has worked flawlessly.
  • My run is 100 feet as electrical box is on other side of house
  • edited July 2017
    I have paid $300 in Houston
  • edited November -1
    Where are you? I got the utility in LA to give me a rebate that covered the charger and most the installation. $1200 for an outlet is preposterous, though if there's a really long run maybe a lot of that is materials.
  • edited July 2017
    If you go to Home Depot you can price the components. You'll need a circuit breaker- same brand as your electrical box, a 14-50 plug, a box to put the plug in, a cover, and wire for the run. You may also need conduit. Once you have that cost the remainder is labor and profit.
  • edited November -1
    100 feet is really, really long. Like, crazy long. That's a lot of copper and conduit, and possibly additions to your breaker box. Plus just the labor involved in attaching all that conduit to your house safely. May not be such a bad price after all, but there's nothing wrong with getting a second opinion.
  • edited July 2017
    Will be installed in four days. 100amp $400 new conduit from box. No tesla electritions near my area in northern IL. My guy says he has done a few..
  • edited July 2017
    I'm in Los Angeles, and I had a NEMA 14-50 installed in just a few hours for about $375 all in (parts and labor). The panel in my house is fairly new, and the run was pretty short (practically next to the panel), so the cost of conduit was minimal.
  • edited July 2017
    I paid about 650.00. That's the upper end of reasonable for me. Especially considering I could have done it myself. The only thing stopping me was I wanted an experienced home electrician to assess my main panel breakers for optimum fit because I had run out of space and need to move stuff around and consolidate, and for drilling through the garage wall.(You need a hammer drill to drill through my siding which I don't have.) I could have run the conduit, wired the outlet and mounted the box myself. I do have experience as an electrician in shipboard and industrial setting though. But still with youtube and the internet, almost anybody could do a simple install like that. Especially if you have plenty of room in your main service panel.

For a simple 14-50 outlet install though, probrably want to go with 6 AWG wire. Some metal lightweight conduit. (EMT). And if you don't want to get a pipe bender, some 90 degree junction boxes. Plus box connectors with bushings, if all this sounds too much then just pay an electrician. But really its not that hard.
  • edited August 2017
    I was quoted $500 for an outlet. I used an electrician from the Tesla site. Nice local guy. It's a little on the high side, but still fair. It's going to be an outdoor outlet so it needs the weatherproof housing. And my town requires permits for that, so he's handling that too.
  • edited August 2017
    We paid $1675 for installation of two outlets and several motion sensor lights on the outside of the garage. The longer run for the heavy gauge copper wire was over 40 feet.

The Nema 14-50 outlets were $9 each at Home Depot.

One outlet would have been plenty-- We have 2 Model S90Ds but have never needed to charge both at the same time.
  • edited August 2017
    I was quoted $380 for my install: parts, labor, and city inspection. Electrician is coming next Friday.
  • edited October 2017
    Moving to Portland Oregon. Any one from Portland has recommendation on local electrician for installing NEMA 14-50 in garage? Thanks
  • edited October 2017
    $450
    Garage location both 200 amp box and receptacle install.
    60’ run.
    Memphis area.
  • edited October 2017
    RV waterproof box with 14-50R $35.
    8-3 Romex W/Ground $8.00 /ft.
    50A 2P breaker $23 to $30
    3 hours of your time

Pretty easy. :-)
  • edited November -1
    Get an extension to your dryer socket such that either the dryer is plugged in or the car is plugged in. As long as you don't use the dryer at night you can treat your tesla like you treat your phone. Plug it in at night an you have a full "tank" (battery) in the morning.

Pros: 1. Cost is minimal. Cost me less than $100, maybe even less than $50 ( I can't remember).

Cons: 1. It is limited to about 35A. So don't expect it to be a supercharger. Plan your charging to be at night. 2. If you have more than one Tesla, it will not charge both at same time. One at a time.
  • $300 in UTAH. Short run