Model 3

Spare tire

edited November -1 in Model 3
Looking at the description of Tesla's roadside assistance program, it doesn't read like Teslas come with a spare tire.
Can any current S or X owners confirm the situation? Are run-flats standard or at least a factory option?
I didn't see anything on model S ordering page to clarify.

Comments

• edited November -1
    No spare or run flats.
  • edited July 2017
    Should be interesting to see what approach they take with the 3
  • edited July 2017
    BMW 3 series doesn't come with a spare, why would the model 3 come with it?
  • edited November -1
    Hyundais don't come with spares either.

This is not new. More and more companies are just leaving the spare tire out. It cuts costs for them, creates more cargo space, and it reduces the car's weight, which albeit minutely, helps with MPG.

Besides most people never even bother to check the tire pressure of their spare and a spare with no air, is not a spare.........

Just buy Tesla's air pump/fix-a-flat kit for $50 and call it good.
  • edited July 2017
    Road service seems to work for many people as I've read they will either put on a temporary spare, repair /replace your tire if they have one with them or tow you to another location that will take care of you. I've had AAA for many years and I've only repaired one flat myself using a repair kit once in probably 20 years. I'm fine with no spare but you may not be so I've also seen reports of people buying a temporary spare and only carry it when traveling on longer road trips.
  • edited July 2017
    "Just buy Tesla's air pump/fix-a-flat kit for $50 and call it good."
    I had a Saturn VUE hybrid that had just that - an airpump that plugs into the cigarette lighter. The theory was most flats are a slow leak, anything bigger would require a call. So there is less weight to lug around (spare). For me they were right.
  • edited July 2017
    Irritating. I've had numerous occasions of NEEDING a spare - X-mas EVE blown tire with no repair shops open/available for next 4 days, on a road-trip at night in middle of nowhere Kansas etc.

How long can you drive on a punctured tire fixed with fix-a-flat? I assume not very long?

Will tesla sell me a spare or can I buy a non-tesla spare to carry around with me? Dont care if it doesnt have a pressure sensor.

Also, what hours/days are Tesla repair shops/vans open?
  • edited November -1
    @Atlanta09, There have been a lot of previous threads on spare tires, alternate spare tires that fit the Model S lug nut pattern, jacks, etc. Use either of these search tools and look for spare tire threads.

www.tmfans.com
    www.volkerize.com
  • edited November -1
    I carry a full size spare in my Model S after 2 tows for complete flats. Used it once since when I had a slow leak and Firestone needed to order a tire for me and a second time when I got a screw in the tire causing a rapid deflation on the freeway and managed to get to a Lexus dealership just off the Freeway that kindly put on my spare for me and I was on my way. Unfortunately the frunk of the newer cars and likely the Model 3 will not fit a spare. I carry the Tesla air compressor with goo.
  • edited July 2017
    Cool, thanks, found my answers.

My summary in case others interested:

Mixed views on fix-a-flat slime kits- Probably not worth it to rely on for anything other than most simple flats.

Yes tesla will sell you a full size spare, although expensive. Other cheaper options exist. frunk probably wont fit full size tire.

Service centers hours near me 7am-7am 5 days a week, holidays likely off.

So really, overall, no better or worse than normal car company selling cars without spares.
  • edited July 2017
    Cool, thanks, found my answers.

My summary in case others interested:

Mixed views on fix-a-flat slime kits- Probably not worth it to rely on for anything other than most simple flats.

Yes tesla will sell you a full size spare, although expensive. Other cheaper options exist. frunk probably wont fit full size tire.

Service centers hours near me 7am-7am 5 days a week, holidays likely off.

So really, overall, no better or worse than normal car company selling cars without spares.
  • edited July 2017
    Whoa... Tesla's (and other cars!!!) don't come with spares??? Like... is that even legal? Haha!! I honestly had no idea not having a spare on board was an actual thing!
  • edited July 2017
    No spare with a run-flat and fix-a-flat works. No spare and no run-flat and fix-a-flat is a bit strange.

No run-flats? Really? Current owner thoughts?
  • edited July 2017
    eeb9: Most have stated that run-flats are basically horrible. Bad ride quality, terrible sound resonance, quickly wearing. You compromise all that in favor of maybe 50 miles of driving at low speed with a minor puncture.

In both the Model X and Model S forums it was Roamer that championed the need for a spare tire kit most stridently...

Spare tire option for Model X
    Submitted by [email protected] USA on April 14, 2014
    https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/spare-tire-option-model-x
  • edited July 2017
    I've made good use of run-flats in the past, but that was on a different platform.

I'm keeping my mind open
  • edited July 2017
    My leaf has no spare. 3 1/2 years and so far no issues
  • edited July 2017
    I've managed to flatten a tire, somehow or another, about once a year. Run-flats have saved my cookies more often than not.

Though in two instances, damage to the sidewall required replacing the tire, and in one instance (on Monday, actually) the damage caused an immediate blowout and the run flat did me no good at all.

So with 12 years of run-flats at about one flat a year, they've been useful more than 80% of the time
  • edited November -1
    Oh spare me. :)
  • edited July 2017
    My wife was happy when I finally got rid of my spare tire
  • edited July 2017
    I'm also averaging a flat per year hence my interest. Most recently, the valve stem on my Mercedes disintegrated while at work such that I couldn't have topped up the air even if I'd had a 12v inflator. Having the spare meant the wheel could be quickly swapped out and I could just drive the 2 miles to the dealer rather than wait for a mobile tire service with the right tire to come to me.
  • edited July 2017
    Lol, mntlvr!
  • edited July 2017
    @mntlvr23 I'm still working on it but my wife would be happy too.
  • edited July 2017
    @noleaf4me - your Leaf has no spare? My 2012 model Leaf has a space-saver spare, it's mounted in a cage underneath the boot/trunk. You have to undo a bolt in the boot to lower the cage and take the spare out.

On another car I once used a fix-a-flat goo pump when I got a puncture. The can was nearly 20 years old but it still worked and got me to where I needed to go. However if you rip the side wall of a tyre you're screwed.
  • edited July 2017
    No bread, dairy, soda or alcohol. It will be gone soon. I had two flat tires after nursing my babies. Thank God they perked up!
  • edited July 2017
    @lilbean
    I'm not sure I could go without all four of those things. I guess soda and bread would be the easiest, I only drink occasionally anyway so I'm sure that's ok .... :)

And, lol to your second sentence.