Energy Products

I Just Ordered a Tesla Solar Roof (Updated 01/03/2020)

Comments

• edited November -1
    ...only one house....
  • edited August 2017
    For a point of comparison, I'm also in VA (although I'm on NOVEC, not Dominion) and I had a 10.5kW solar panel setup installed last Fall, and a dual PowerWall setup this summer. My roof was fine, so that did not need replacement. The total installed cost for everything ended up at $41,352, excluding tax credits. I do not know how much it would cost to replace my roof.

The calculator on the Tesla site says that a Solar Roof would run about $44,200 by itself, but the calculator is overly simplistic. My roof has a complex shape, and I have a detached garage, so those factors would likely change the price quite a bit. Here's an aerial shot of the first iteration of my installation. I later had them reconfigure the panels on the detached garage, adding 3 more (which I included in the total above).

solar-nova .com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Lovettsville-VA.jpg

(remove the space before .com)

Looking forward to hearing more about your installation, grins.va!
  • edited August 2017
    *the total cost includes the dual PowerWall setup as well as the solar panel installation, if that wasn't clear.
  • edited August 2017
    @spmeister, can you comment on how your PW2 installation is working with your solar installation? Two examples from Australia on another thread were overwhelmingly positive. Would love to hear how U.S. PW2 installations are working out for early adopters. I am wait listed for PW2 installation hopefully next month.
  • edited November -1
    I think JB got the solar as well. The rep at the service center was showing me aerial views.
  • edited November -1
    Also Kimball in CO.
  • edited August 2017
    @grins: nice write-up. Thanks for sharing. Don't know about VA but in FL state law supports homeowner installation of solar. HOA cannot block the use of solar. They can offer advice as to where to place it but the homeowner can ignore that advice if it reduces the efficiency of the installation.
  • edited August 2017
    @Tesla-David: It works really well! There was a bit of difficulty at the beginning since my solar panels are on separate buildings (house, detached garage). At the PowerWall installation, the techs put a Neurio current sensor out in the garage on the AC feed from the garage solar panels, but it was out of range of the receiver in the Tesla Electric Gateway on the main house, so the Gateway didn't know where that extra power was coming from & things didn't work well.

So I had my solar contractor come out & adjust the wiring a bit so that the garage and main house AC feeds both entered the breaker box on the main house that SolarCity/Tesla had installed, meaning that as far as the Gateway was concerned there was only one source of solar, and that solved all the issues.

Since then it's been working great! If not for my electric car (Chevy Bolt), I'd probably be averaging a net of close to zero or even negative kWh usage across a month. For example I used 645kWh of grid energy for the month of August (the meter is read around the 25th), which averages to 21.5kWh/day and that's on the low end of average daily charging for the Bolt.

I'm seriously considering eventually adding 1 or 2 more PowerWalls as well as more solar panels, although it'll be a few years before that happens.
  • edited August 2017
    @george - it works the same way here. I just don't want to get sideways with my HOA as I plan to live here for a while. ;-)

@spmeister - thanks for the details. Does NOVEC have a good net metering program and/or are you using all the power you generate? Thanks.
  • edited August 2017
    @grins.va -- NOVEC doesn't directly pay me or give refunds for power sent back to the grid. Instead, I get credit towards future bills when I send power back to the grid, but it doesn't roll over when the calendar year changes. The main issue I have with them is that they don't provide a way for me to see how much I've sent them on their website. I have to call & get the info sent via e-mail. Hopefully that'll change as they get more solar customers.
  • edited November -1
    spmeister Thanks for the info.
    We also are considering adding more panels and a few powerwalls to help with charging the Model 3.
    I hope the utility companies continue to go green as that will happen in most states I believe.
    I recall some places in the EU give Powerwalls to customers as backup for the grid as it helps reduce costs considerably along with more stable power.
  • edited August 2017
    Maybe by the time I need a new roof in 10 years it will be available and able to be installed in Ohio
  • edited August 2017
    @spmeister, Thanks for the detailed feedback, very useful to know. I hear you about the Bolt charging requirements, I am averaging about half of our electricity demand to charge our MS, and that will only tick up when we get our M3. Fortunately I overbuilt our solar system (13.2 kWh), and were able to produce 204% last year relative to our total electricity energy demand, which also included charging our MS. We send the excess energy back to the grid via Net Metering.
  • edited August 2017
    Looks like production is moving ahead. 1.2 million ft.2 factory. This looks awesome.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/tesla-starts-production-of-solar-cells-in-buffalo/
  • edited September 2017
    I tried to delete my second entry of this same topic, but could not. Sorry.
  • edited September 2017
    Never mind. I just figured it out. I will delete this topic in "General" once I am sure it will not be deleted in "Tesla Energy" at the same time. Thanks.
  • edited September 2017
    Is the solar roof a concept design or a real product? I just filled out the quote request form and got some guys in a noisy call center that gave me a verbal quote for $230,000 with a $50K federal rebate to do a 11,000 SQ ft house. But he cannot give me a real written quote for system, when it could be design & installed, any warranty info etc. But also said there talking deposits! Sounds like a concept product only at this point? The sales guy in call center was Santiago Ortiz.
  • edited November -1
    @Twye - to my knowledge only Elon and JB have installed Tesla roofs. Everyone else is waiting.

If you used the Tesla Energy site I can presume the person who called you is monitoring it. My 2600 square foot roof cost is $75K after rebate. Your cost for 11,000 square feet sounds correct. I should suggest that you call Tesla Energy and ask someone to visit your home and explain the program. You can get first hand information. As I said, my installation will take place some time in 2019. Enjoy the wait :-)
  • edited September 2017
    thanks for the feedback.
  • edited November -1
    Would Tesla put a solar tiles on a church in the Midwest?
  • edited November 2017
    Deposit for 2 houses the day they started taking them. Inquiries now result in Tesla telling me to call Solarcity and Solarcity telling me to call Tesla. Emails result in, at best, we will be in touch.
  • edited December 2017
    When will Tesla go nation wide?
    All I get for Indiana is not available.
  • edited December 2017
    we put the $1000 down to order a roof but never heard back from anyone? How do I rectify this?
  • edited November -1
    Call the advisor who came to your house and finalized your down payment.
  • edited December 2017
    People,
    Please do yourselves a favor and get some quotes from local installers.

The price point on this hypothetical solar product is substantially more than what the market gets for standard modules. Triple black panels don't look bad. You don't have to reroof. And even if you do, mods are still cheaper AND substantially more efficient.