General

Houston was warned by scientists but called them alarmists

Comments

• edited November -1
    Speaking of being busy, that's me! Moved back into my messy house as of yesterday. Got Internet back up today. Moved a whole bunch of flood water furniture out to the curbside today. Listed 59 items in the "contents" claim page for FEMA. The flood adjuster came out last Wednesday. We sent him the paper work for the contents in the house along with photos of the damage. He mainly focused on the dwelling itself, and is authorizing floor and sheetrock replacement while he was out here. Allstate Homeowners insurance came through for me today. They are sending me 10K to help out with the damage to the house. Since I had flood insurance, Allstate was able to do that somehow. Even more of a reason why to carry flood insurance!

I go back to work tomorrow. They gave me 12 days off to take care of my flooded home. They didn't charge me sick or vacation days. Not quite what ExxonMobil does for their flood victim employees, but good enough!
  • edited November -1
    Ah . . . got your hand out for government benefits. Welfare queen. ;-) .
  • edited September 2017
    Sounds like things are working out for you and your OK. Glad to hear it. We are traveling again on a vacation to the West coast and will be happy to miss the internet for awhile. The news has not been good with all the disasters yet it keeps one's attention.
  • edited November -1
    LOL SamO that is funny.
  • edited November -1
    I paid my insurance premiums!!!!!! Big-Ass difference don't ya think???!!!!!
  • edited September 2017
    Mitch "don't ya think" that was your 1st mystak, to think that he thinks.
  • edited September 2017
    Mitch. You are a responsible guy. Glad you paid your insurance premiums. So why is a good libertarian taking government handouts from FEMA? Next you may want the government getting involved in ameliorating climate change.

I agree Mitch. That Exxon-Mobil crowd just pollutes the air, raises CO2 levels. They don't care about climate change and don't give employees time off after floods. I guess the weather service doesn't need you for 12 days. They know more hurricanes are coming. You don't need scientists to tell you it has happened before and will happen again.
  • edited November -1
    FEMA premiums? Link or it didn't happen.
  • edited September 2017
    I got Georgia on my mind.
    Good read and some hope.
    http://gizmodo.com/fighting-climate-change-in-a-red-state-1798492526
  • edited November -1
    So:

A person moves into a flood plain,
    Then denies that clmate is changing due to human pollution,
    Then their house is totally expectedly damaged,
    Then this denier sticks his greedy hand out for some government cheese.

Reminds me of Rush Limbaugh:
    Rush Limbaugh is safe. After telling his listeners that the warnings about Hurricane Irma were a scam to promote a climate change "agenda" and boost bottled water sales, he quietly scurried away to higher ground. Apparently, climate change is a liberal hoax so potent that not even Limbaugh could escape its reach.
    #ClimateDenial

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisladd/2017/09/09/rush-limbaugh-fake-news-and-hurricane-irma/#108935d62883
  • FEMA premiums and 12 days off.
  • edited September 2017
    Hey 60cc SamO, I'm NOT in a floodplain! Flood insurance is NOT mandatory where I live! Some places in Houston, you are required to carry it. Not at my location. I got flood insurance by choice. Most of my neighbors don't have it, and they are regretting it!
  • edited September 2017
    You also seem to be mystified by flood insurance. You request it through your homeowners insurance. It is considered to be supplemental insurance, and is administered by FEMA. But your private homeowners insurance links you to it. Ask your insurance company to find out about it.
  • edited September 2017
    @Mitch. Have you taken out climate change insurance even if you think you don't need it??
  • edited November -1
    Subsidized premiums for deadbeats who can't or won't take care of themselves.
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/10-things-politicians-wont-tell-you-about-femas-flood-insurance-2017-08-28

"Government flood insurance is massively subsidized. So much remains unclear about the situation in Houston, but one thing is already certain: The rest of us are going to be cutting yet another giant check to cover the damage. The reason? The National Flood Insurance Program sells its policies on the cheap as a giveaway to voters — excuse me, citizens — in coastal areas. Even before Hurricane Harvey, the program owed Uncle Sam $25 billion."

Houston is in a Flood Plain
    https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/8/28/16211392/100-500-year-flood-meaning
  • edited September 2017
    "It creates its own problem. Cover people with cheap flood insurance and you make it more attractive to build in flood zones. No wonder so many people have, congregated along coastal areas. And that, in turn, creates more risk. As Munich Re, a reinsurance company puts it, “the U.S. National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) shows how government subsidies over decades result in insufficient insurance coverage, incentives to build in highly exposed areas and multibillion-dollar deficits.”

In case you refuse to click the link (again).
  • edited November -1
    More government cheese for Mitch and his fossil fuel fellatees.
  • edited September 2017
    Hey 60cc SamO, MOST people don't have flood insurance! Why? Because they don't think they will ever get flooded. This is my first in 60 years. First in Houston in 37 years. Glad I was ready! And FYI, anything from government is subsidized by the taxpayers. Your own Tesla is subsidized by the taxpayers you dumb-ass democrat!
  • edited September 2017
    Mitch. We know that and encourage government subsidies for disasters and climate change etc. You are the libertarian who doesn't want to pay taxes and see government handouts. But it looks like you got to the front of the line this time. Time to be honest Mitch. Pay your fair share of taxes without complaining so flood victims in other places can get FEMA help. Also admit that you are full of crap and climate change is real and has bad consequences. You got your first taste of more severe hurricanes with climate change. But do you even give a hoot about the flooding in Asia. This will only get worse
    https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/16-million-plus-people-impacted-by-monsoon-flooding-in-india-nepal-and-bangladesh/70002518
  • edited September 2017
    MItch. Here is some more stuff on Asia
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/29/world/asia/floods-south-asia-india-bangladesh-nepal-houston.html?_r=0
    Check out this article from USA TODAY:

As Texas copes with Harvey aftermath, more than 1,000 die in India monsoon

https://usat.ly/2wTmStX
  • edited September 2017
    Guess the internal inconsistency of:

1. Denying climate change , and

2, pretending he doesn't accept government cheese

Was too much for Mitch. His poor head appear ready to explode. Good. Understand that you are no different from the proverbial Fix news welfare queen with her legs spread and her hand out.
  • edited September 2017
    Where are the Mitch acolytes when we need them? Please stand up for Mitch...deny more frequent, more powerful storms. Deny there is some benefit for accepting socialized help. Call out the moochers who are weak and who cannot fend for themselves.
  • edited September 2017
    I've been paying taxes all of my life! I pay through the nose to our bloated Federal Government. I did NOT set up FEMA. I am opposed to government monopoly of our industry. But the reality is that if you want to buy flood insurance, there is only one game in town - FEMA! That really doesn't leave anybody a whole heck of a lot of choice! Are you goofy dumb-ass democrats trying to blame me for FEMA? I'm just an ordinary American who buys insurance for protection against a catastrophe. Living in Houston, I know flooding is a problem here. So, after Ike, I thought one of these days my home might flood. So, I contacted my homeowners insurance and they linked me into their flood insurance program. I was paying 3K per year for homeowners insurance, and flood added $425 to my annual premium.

Again, I did not establish FEMA. I did not set the program up. Our legislators did that. And if FEMA is the only entity that covers flood, what else are you going to do? I asked Nationwide Insurance for flood insurance coverage, and they got me set up with FEMA. Why? Because FEMA is the only organization that covers flood!

Ya got it now you dumb-ass democrats??!!!

By the way, do you limousine liberal Californians have earthquake insurance?
  • edited September 2017
    The reason you can't get flood insurance is that Houston is a welfare-state for stupid people. Don't build in a floodplain. Then you won't need flood insurance subsidized by the rest of your fellow citizens.

We have seismic retrofit mandated by the state. If you own an apartment building, you have to build so that it won't collapse.

But in Texas . . . nope. Go build again in the same spot.

Idiot.

You are lower than the lowest hypocrite Mitch. You are a clueless hypocrite, even in the face of your own cheese eating.

You talk about how you paid taxes. So what? Big deal. So does everyone else in this country, legal and illegal. Or have you not heard about sales tax?

You are taking money from my pockets because of YOUR BAD CHOICES. Deal with it.
  • edited September 2017
    FEMA government teat. Mitch, check out www.floodrates.com.