General

Houston was warned by scientists but called them alarmists

Comments

• edited November -1
    Methhinks he protests too much. You bitch about the government and their systems. But guess what?? The system really came through for you. You got to the front of the FEMA line. If you became disabled you would get to the front of the disability line. When you turn 65 you will get to the front of the Medicare line. And soon after you will get to the front of the social security line. And it could happen that if you or your family lose health insurance you will be annoyed at Trump and the Republicans for pulling out of Obamacare. And when we piss off Kim enough and he gets more belligerent with his missiles you are going to be glad that your taxes pay for a great military.

No I don't have earthquake insurance. The premiums are ridiculous and not worth it. I wish the government would offer subsidized earthquake insurance.
  • edited November -1
    Remember the old joke:

A man asks a woman if she would be willing to sleep with him if he pays her an exorbitant sum. She replies affirmatively. He then names a paltry amount and asks if she would still be willing to sleep with him for the revised fee. The woman is greatly offended and replies as follows:

She: What kind of woman do you think I am?
    He: We’ve already established that. Now we’re just haggling over the price.
  • edited September 2017
    Funny Nuclear Power Plants can also only get government insurance, why is that? because enterprises know the risks are too high.Which parties support Nuclear again?
  • edited September 2017
    So Captain Planet, you don't pay for earthquake insurance? Typical liberal Californian democrat!

Flood insurance rates vary on the location in the Greater Houston area. It isn't just one flat rate. I know this because my wife is a real estate agent, and she had a deal fall through because the buyers did not realize how high the flood insurance premium was on the house they wanted to buy. My house is considered a low risk area. So, my flood insurance premium was only $425. The premium goes up into the thousands in higher flood risk areas.

By the way, my neighbors across the street DID NOT FLOOD! Their house is elevated 1/2 foot above mine, and that was enough to make a difference on who flooded and who didn't.

Got a construction crew in my house right now, tearing up the floor, sheetrock and insolation.
  • edited September 2017
    How you continue to insist on "insolation" is exactly the point Mitch. It's greenhouse gases that are causing the problem. Not insolation...no matter how much you insist.
  • edited November -1
    Make that insulation sabby. At 60, my spelling has been deteriorating.
  • edited September 2017
    No Mitch. As Freud pointed out, slips point to unconscious wishes. Your slip is showing. You wish it was "insolation." It's not.
  • edited September 2017
    And misspelling doesn't excuse hypocrisy. You (Mitch) chose FEMA while railing against any government help (for those other than you).

There's instruction for you today from Conservative David Brooks. And it has to do with floods and the lesson of Noah. What does Noah do when he is told that the flood will wipe out humanity? Nothing. Builds an ark for himself and the rest be damned. Sound familiar?
  • edited September 2017
    Meanwhile, check out what is going on with the Arctic ice. The 2017 Arctic sea ice extent is nearing the minimum for the year.

https://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/charctic-interactive-sea-ice-graph/

10 SEP and 11 SEP 2017 are reading 4.649 X 10^6 km2. That is 1.169 X 10^6 km2 ABOVE the 2012 minimum year on this date! This makes 5 years in a row that the Arctic sea ice is closing ABOVE the 2012 sea ice minimum.

You global warming worshippers are claiming the Arctic ice is melting away to oblivion. The data does not support human-caused global warming theory. As the late, great Dr. Richard Feynman has stated, "if the obsevations don't match your theory, then your theory is flawed!!!
  • edited November -1
    Hey sabby, I paid my insurance premium. Now that catastrophe has struck me, (a flood - first one in my life) I filed a claim for help like anybody else does who has insurance coverage. And for some silly reason, you goofy, dumb-ass, worthless piece of dog-poop democrats are pissed off about it!

I did not produce FEMA. It was the only system available to me to acquire flood insurance. End of story!
  • edited September 2017
    http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/files/2017/09/Figure3.png

trend
    trend/
    noun
    a general direction in which something is developing or changing.
  • edited September 2017
    You call David Brooks a conservative sabby? Geeeyyywwwaaaad, you are out there in the ozone hole with Mike! Also, your silly psycho-babble about Freud and Noah is just supporting evidence of your lack of grounding.
  • edited September 2017
    And guess what Miro, the trend is slowing down and now showing signs of leveling off! By the way, this happened once before from the 1920s through the 1940s. There is nothing new about a multi-decadal warming trend. We now have an instrumental record to indicate that.
  • edited September 2017
    @Mitch. Reminds me of the Chad Mitchell (your namesake?) ditty:

Oh Dr. Freud
    Oh Dr. Freud
    How we wish you had been differently employed
    For the threat of global warming
    Shows the storm clouds that are forming
    For those exposed by Dr. Sigmund Freud
  • edited September 2017
    Hey Miro, got a question for ya. How many years in a row of the Arctic ice closing above the 2012 minimum will it take for you to come to the realization that the Arctic ice is going through a natural multi-decadal cycle? We are on year number 5. Will it take 8 years? 10 years? 15 years? 20 years from now, if the Arctic ice continues to close above the 2012 minimum, will you continue to squeal, "the ice is melting, the ice is melting, and we are all going to drown!!!"

I asked Captain Planet the same question, and he just flipped and flopped around, avoiding the direct and simple question, being the typical liberal democrat that he is. I have a prediction Miro. You will be the same way as Captain Planet! You will NOT directly answer my question. Wussy-pus liberals like yourself can't handle it!
  • edited September 2017
    And then:

Oh Mr. Mitch
    Oh Mr. Mitch
    How accepting aid is such an awful bitch
    For the facts of changing climate
    Makes you hide beneath the blanket
    Of the government's FEMA social in-time stitch
  • edited November -1
    Got a swing shift today. I will be back to answer your goofy, dumb-ass liberal democrat nonsense later!
  • edited September 2017
    Don't hurry.
  • edited September 2017
    Mitch, here as for the global glaciers, are these going thru a cycle too?
    http://wgms.ch/downloads/Fig2_2015.pdf

i will concede once that blue line points upwards, deal? Again average overall TREND still going down, no ifs or buts.
  • edited September 2017
    Mitch a fluctuation does not break a trend, Glaciers have been retreating pretty much thru all last century and continue to do so.
  • edited September 2017
    @Mitch, for the record, I do have earthquake insurance. It has a high deductible of 15% and very specific limitations on what's covered (building, not contents) but it's all of $400 a year.

@SCCRENDO, I STRONGLY recommend you reconsider purchasing earthquake insurance. We are overdue. Having been through Sylmar, Landers, Northridge and smaller earthquakes my entire life in SoCal, you won't want to rely on people like @Mitch's tax dollars to bail you out. :-)
  • edited September 2017
    Mitch. Trying to change the subject are we? You keep posting the same Arctic stuff. 2017 looks pretty much like 2016 which did not regain as much ice as 2012. Plug in the last 10 years and each year is way more than 2 standard deviations below the mean. The only outlier is the 2012 minimum. Seriously Mitch. Don't you wish you knew some science and also how to read graphs. We do. It's getting tiresome continuing to explain the same thing to you. Perhaps you have a science learning disability.

@rxlawdude. I want to see Mitch flip out when I go for my post earthquake government handout. It probably is stupidity not getting earthquake insurance. Many recommended not getting it based on cost vs overall risk to the home. I believe most Californians do not carry earthquake insurance but perhaps I should re-explore it. Who do you get your insurance through?
  • edited November -1
    @SCC, all earthquake insurance is from the California Earthquake Authority, but only available through homeowner's insurance companies. For our home, I use Auto Club of So Cal. (ACSC is cheaper than Ameriprise for home, but much more expensive for cars. Go figure.)

Please see: http://www.insurance.ca.gov/01-consumers/105-type/95-guides/03-res/eq-ins.cfm

It's well worth the premium to know your worst-case outlay in case of severe damage.
  • edited November -1
    I have Auto club for home and cars. They really came through for me when my Tesla was T-boned in 2014. They have always delivered on car and home and that is why I am sticking by them. I think they offered earthquake insurance to us last year and I was thinking about it. But we decided against it. I cannot remember why> But someone talked us out of it. I guess that makes me ineligible for 2 years
  • edited September 2017
    @rxlawdude. Just saw a patient whose husband is a retired insurance agent. I asked him whether earthquake insurance was worth it. He said no. The deductible is high and in a major earthquake they are likely to run out of money. Also the loss of use is limited to $1500. Looking forward to more earthquake insurance "experts" weighing in.