Model S

Yellow band along borders of touchscreen

edited November -1 in Model S
I got my car in January of this year and the main screen has developed a yellow band along the top and two sides that is visible in the daytime but not in night mode. It is very uniform in width. Rebooting did not make a difference.

A web search does not show any reports of this and I'm wondering if any of the owners here have had this happen to their cars.

Thanks.

Comments

• edited November -1
    I've not seen it or heard of anything like it. I'd run a couple of tests, such as turn on display clean mode (mostly black screen) during the day. Might also try the browser full screen with a white website page (like this forum). Sounds like the display might be lacking the blue pixel lines in these areas (a screen defect). Tesla service can fix it, but it doesn't sound like a software issue.
  • edited November -1
    I had that exact same thing happen on my car (nov2016 build). I showed it to a tech at the Santa Clara SC last month as I was in for service and they said that they'd never seen it before but immediately said they would replace it which they did.
  • edited September 2017
    I tried posting a link to a picture of the yellowing but the site won't let me.
  • edited September 2017
    Took it into the service center today and they said they would replace the unit.

They gave me a 100D loaner with only 5 miles on it! It drives like a much heavier car than my non-D but I may play with the settings to see if one of the modes is causing it to feel this way. Also noisier because of the front motor.
  • edited November -1
    I noticed this a couple of days ago on my December 2016 90D. At first I thought I was seeing things. Then I thought that maybe I just noticed it and now can't un-see it. But looking at it closely when I was at home I realized it is a real and new problem. As the OP stated, it didn't clear up with reboots either. I just had it in for its 12.5k service about a week ago, I guess I'll be going back to get it fixed.
  • edited November -1
    Hmm, clustered reports from Nov-Dec '16 and Jan '17.

Bad batch?
  • edited November -1
    Seems that way, rx, since this seems to be a new issue and only for newer cars...so far.
  • edited October 2017
    I’m having the same issue in Dec delivery Model S. My dad is having the same issue with his. Nov. delivery. Sounds like a serious issue for Tesla.
  • edited October 2017
    Same thing in my March-delivery Model S.
  • edited October 2017
    I thought I had noticed something strange framing the center screen, but I though maybe it was the light refraction angle or something strange like that....now that I realize it is a more widespread issue, I just made an appt to have the screen replaced. The service person I spoke to didn't say it was a known issue, but she wasn't doubting the problem....My 2017 90D was built in Jan, 2017 (delivered 1/22/2017)
  • edited November -1
    I just noticed this on my March ‘17 S90D. :-(

I’ll need to call SvC.
  • edited October 2017
    It's there on my late December build P100D as well. I noticed it when I took delivery of the car (Inventory/Exec car) recently but only noticed it when in map mode.

I will call my tech on Monday!

Thx
  • edited October 2017
    For those who haven't noticed the yellow band around the center touchscreen, it can be very subtle, depending on the backlight level you use, or the background color of the screen you are watching. To get a clearer idea if the problem exists in your vehicle, I suggest checking the drawing screen with a white background, and if you have the issue, it should become more obvious, IMO, in that configuration....
  • edited October 2017
    Bad batch??
  • edited October 2017
    I got a late December 2016 model S and have this exact problem, must be a bad batch. Have not had mine fixed yet
  • edited November 2017
    My March 2017 build just got the yellow band. No good
  • edited November -1
    Model X Dec 16 build same thing
  • edited November 2017
    Just had my touchscreen replaced - no more yellow line, and the seems to be responding/ refreshing a little quicker (although that might be a placebo effect). Service gave me zero hassle about it - and provided me with a brand new 100D Model X to use while they performed the repairs.

As a young company, Tesla products have definitely had some teething pains, and I've taken mine for service in it's first 8 months more than all other vehicles I've owned combined....but, honestly, I've been treated great as the service center (Los Angeles / Centinela) every time. Prompt repairs, text alerts and updates, car washes, friendly personnel who seem to enjoy their jobs, and who get the job done. And fantastic loaner car program. First time I've had a vehicle that I enjoy taking to the dealer lol...
  • edited November 2017
    My Feb 2017 had exactly this same thing this October, about a 1/4" yellow border around the whole screen. Tesla service replaced the screen (or whole MCU?) and it's fine.
  • edited November 2017
    Noticed the yellow lines on white background today in December 2016 S60D. How long does it take for the new screen to be delivered and how long is the car in service for? We are not too bothered and are already looking forward to the P100D loaner.
  • edited November 2017
    @werner1979 - If the service center has the screen in stock, it only takes a day to replace. If they have to order it, who knows but probably less than two weeks.
  • edited November 2017
    Thanks for all the support in the forum on problems and resolution. My S is a Nov 2016 build and has also developed the Yellow screen lines on the boarder. Notified service and waiting to hear back....Thanks
  • edited November 2017
    Mar 2014 delivered car, no issues.
  • edited November 2017
    MS90D 03/17 Production

Just noticed yellow bands on mine
  • edited November -1
    OK, so I finally got my dec 16 build 90D fixed yesterday. They ended up replacing the MCU rather than just the touch screen. They did NOT copy over my settings so I had to reprogram everything, kind of a drag. YMMV.