Model S

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Didn't realize how much I missed a "Luxury" interior.....

edited October 2017 in Model S
While many try to consider Tesla as a Luxury brand, those that truly know Tesla's know that Tesla is not a "luxury" car. It is the most technologically advanced car and that tech brings it into the same price category as your Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc... and well above Cadillac or Lincoln.

Having come from Mercedes & BMW cars before, I missed the luxury feel of those cars when I got my Tesla. But the tech of the Tesla was enough to outweigh the loss in luxury as I am a tech geek. Now having been a Model S owner for three years, I've grown used to the minimalist interior. But will say, Elon's "minimalist" description is accurate, hence somewhat boring outside of the tech features.

Today, for the first time in a 3 years, I sat in a "luxury" brand. And not even one of the German brands. Sat in the new Cadillac CT6. Those truly in love with the Tesla "minimalist" design would likely hate the Cadillac. But those like me that enjoyed the plush and luxury of a "luxury" car I think would see that Cadillac has come a long way. Wow, that interior was nice. Comfortable. Massage seats. TV's in the back seat. Two big screens. Not the Tesla 17" screen, but a very nicely integrated 12" screen.

Just wondering if Tesla will ever someday consider offering a true "luxury" package option in their cars? For those of us that want it? Probably not likely as they keep taking choices away rather than adding them. But for those that don't love the idea of having an EV, it might help bring in some additional "luxury" brand customers. I know I've heard/read many comments about the bland interior of Tesla from those accustomed to luxury cars.

Wishful thinking on my part, but would personally love it if Tesla borrowed a few more parts from the Mercedes luxury parts bin. Can't imagine it would be all that difficult for them to add luxury to the interior. With the technology of a Tesla as it is, programming a few TV screens & massage seats would be a breeze, along with some fancier materials and rear seats.

Just throwing it out there as a wishlist item. Maybe if enough people said they'd like the option, they'd consider it. Would be nice if they did so before these other brands start introducing their EV's into the market. The Cadillac is already a plug-in hybrid and has their "Super Cruise" feature which is reasonably comparable to AP on the highways. Add a little more EV range and they could be a serious Tesla competitor. And that car fully loaded is $75,000, the same as the base model of a Model S. If it was all Electric, can't imagine it wouldn't steal quite a few sales from Tesla at that price point. Even if the Hybrid offered 50+ miles of EV range, that would cover most people's daily driving and would save having to charge on long distance trips, for those that don't want to.

Anyway, figured I'd share my thoughts in hopes that maybe Tesla will be proactive with some additional luxury choices/options rather than have to react after other premium EV's hit the market.

I know the Tesla faithful will say the Tesla is great as it is and that doesn't have to change. But how about those that haven't switched to a Tesla simply because they want more luxury? Why not offer options for both? Of course they would charge a premium price for the option and just make more money, especially if doing so convinces more people to buy a Tesla.

Comments

• edited October 2017
    I just bought my MS after dreaming about it for 3 years. My attraction was the sleek design and the technology, and I don't really care about "luxury". However, after just a few days of driving, I realize how badly it lacks storage space for everyday items.
  • edited October 2017
    I think this is fair criticism. I'm fine with the interior, to be honest, but the seats do make my back ache on long drives, and I do miss having more storage.
  • edited November -1
    Lots of people love their Tesla because it's nothing like their last car right up until the time they realize that it's nothing like their last car.
  • edited October 2017
    I love the minimalist interiorr and hope they never clutter it up. I would like a much smoother luxury ride though - I don't need to feel every crack in the road.
  • edited October 2017
    Having had three 7 series since 2001 I do miss the luxury of the BMW brand as well. Something I had to settle in though was the fact that we are talking about a car that has/had a base price of ~$60k. None of my 7series cars started out at a base price that low. My Tesla cost $120,000 but still has the interior and comfort creatures of a $60,000 car. I have reconciled that and now am somewhat happy. Maybe with the introduction of the Model 3 Tesla will amp up the interior of the S & X to compete in the luxury car arena.

PS I am on my 2nd Model S and I am a Tesla fan and supporter.
  • edited November -1
    I figure they’ll do that once the model 3 sales start hurting model s. They need something other then size and an extra screen to sell the model S (at a much higher profit margin then the 3.
  • edited October 2017
    I have to say the luxury factor was quite low on my list of priorities when deciding to buy a Model S. I think the car has so many other redeeming features and is pushing boundaries on multiple fronts (e.g. electric drive train, AP, OTA etc). That's what Tesla is about for me. As for the styling, I think it's in synergy with the high tech image Tesla are pursuing.
  • edited October 2017
    It is a performance sedan.

Will a 2020 MS have massage seats? Perhaps.

Me, I couldn’t even abide the center console on the newer cars, and don’t use what nick-knack storage comes with the car.
  • edited November -1
  • edited October 2017
    I think Tesla has already lost the luxury EV market before it has even started. Mercedes and Porsche will soon bring their EVs to market.

To me, Cadillac trails in this market because it mainly focuses on luxury only. Sure, there's the V series, but it doesn't compete with AMG or Porsche Turbos. And, because, Mercedes and Porsche is known for performance and innovation even before luxury, they will continue to lead.

Meanwhile, Tesla has already shown they cannot compete in the luxury market. So, they would have to do a lot of catching up if they ever expect to compete in that market.
  • edited October 2017
    babyjocko | October 17, 2017
    I think Tesla has already lost the luxury EV market before it has even started. Mercedes and Porsche will soon bring their EVs to market.

they've lost the luxury market to Tesla now, how would they retake the market?

those that can afford a new tesla can afford gas and they are choosing the less luxury vehicle with the inconvenience of charging over the luxury brands with a similar price point and the convenience of a quick fill-up.

if this is not telling to you, I don't know what is.
  • edited October 2017
    they've lost the luxury market to Tesla now, how would they retake the market?

Tesla is NOT in the luxury car market. It's in the technology car market, which it pretty much created when they priced their non-luxurious, technologically advanced car around $100k.

Most people who drive luxury cars know that Tesla is not a luxury car (or will soon realize it like the OP has)
  • edited October 2017
    iPhone and Blackberry phone. There might still be a few who miss that luxury phone but who cares?
  • edited October 2017
    I hardly call a blackberry phone a 'luxury phone'

Also the luxury market is tiny compared to the mass market cars out there.

But the Tesla does not look as luxurious as a high end Mercedes or BMW. But that is up to the individual buyer to determine if that is important to them. But OTOH the Tesla is 'sleeker' and more advanced looking than a high end Mercedes or BMW. But personally I could care less how a car look while I am driving it. I cannot see the front or back end in the car, so the outside looks matter none to me.

For me personally, I do not want a 'plush' ride of a car that floats down the road. I want to enjoy the great handling.

As to interior creature comforts, as others have pointed out, Tesla will probably come out with a new design for the interiors of the S which is more luxurious looking. That way for the market that wants that 'look' they can have it, but will not force it on everyone.
  • edited October 2017
    Luxury car vs.. Sports Sedan.
    I'd take the Sports Sedan any day. I was shopping for a GT car and this was as close as I could get.
  • edited October 2017
    Tesla Model S is a 'premium performance sedan' loaded with technology. It may neve get all the luxury features, but I don't and won't miss them.
  • edited October 2017
    "I could care less how a car look while I am driving it. I cannot see the front or back end in the car, so the outside looks matter none to me."
    Although that sounds rational, it is incongruent with human emotion. People connect with the outside styling of a car. Otherwise the Pontiac Aztec would have sold millions because it had everything except looks.

'For me personally, I do not want a 'plush' ride of a car that floats down the road. I want to enjoy the great handling.'
    You're talking about Cadillac and perhaps Lexus there. Mercedes Benz S series and Porsche Panamera do not 'float' down the road. That is why I say there are pure luxury cars and then there are luxury performance cars.
  • edited November -1
    For the Luxury car vs..Sports Sedan crowd. You can have both though. Our 2010 AH7 does 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and has several suspension setting from comfort...floats like a boat LOL...to Sport+ which WILL outperform our Model S handling wise. Not knocking Tesla at all, just another point to consider.

BTW, unless something major changes with the Model S interior in the next couple of years, my wife has already put her request in for a Mission E as her daily driver. That poor'ole BMW AH7 already has 149,000+ miles on it and still going strong for her....
  • edited October 2017
    Boonedocks, having been a BMW guy myself and having driven a 2016 7 series back to back with my Tesla, I can tell you that handling wise, there is not much difference between the two. I know my cas, and I appreciate the trademark BMW ride and handling compromise, but Model S handles very competently thanks to low center of mass and static weight distribution.
  • edited November -1
    @babyjocko
    "Tesla is NOT in the luxury car market. It's in the technology car market, which it pretty much created when they priced their non-luxurious, technologically advanced car around $100k."

That is actually true. Mercs or Lexus did not lose the "luxury" car market. It's the luxury car market that is gone when people start to realize that is not the main thing they want in an expensive car as they were lead to believe before Tesla came along.

@reed_lewis
    "I hardly call a blackberry phone a 'luxury phone'"

That's how we think now but not what many thought in the beginning. The iPhone look was considered too plain Jane to them.
  • edited October 2017
    'but Model S handles very competently thanks to low center of mass and static weight distribution.'

I would agree here. I've driven different Mercedes Benz E500 - E550 before my MSP90D and I say the MS drives comparatively well. In fact, better due to the much quicker acceleration. Yes, the lower center of gravity results in very good handling, although you can definitely feel the weight.

Having said that, the MS still cannot compete with luxury vs MB, which is what this thread is about. Sure, my 2010 MB E550 lacked luxury (much less than the 2005 E500), but compared to 2017 E series and any MB S series, the MS may compete with drive performance, but not luxury.
  • edited October 2017
    I don't understand why the competition hasn't, in the five years of Model S production, come out with a touch screen that works like Tesla's? All the touchscreens out there are a joke. I don't want little-buttons overload. I don't see how that antiquated technology is luxurious.

With the Tesla infrastructure in place, it will be much more difficult for the competition to implement the aspects people desire in Tesla vehicles, versus the minimal effort it will take for Tesla to slap a "luxury" interior in their superior BEV's, assuming that's what Tesla wants to do.

Which position would you rather be coming from as an automobile manufacturer CEO?
  • edited November -1
    All of this is quite true, and I have absolutely no regrets over my Mod S purchases. All my other cars are on low-mileage insurance plans because I drive the Tesla everywhere.

All that said, I’d be first in line to pay extra for an Audi-level interior option.
  • edited October 2017
    When I leave those BMW's, Audi's, and Mercedes in the rearview mirror and flip on AP1, I don't miss those "luxury" interiors one bit!
  • edited October 2017
    babyjocko
    Tesla is NOT in the luxury car market. It's in the technology car market, which it pretty much created when they priced their non-luxurious, technologically advanced car around $100k.

Most people who drive luxury cars know that Tesla is not a luxury car (or will soon realize it like the OP has)

You completely missed my point.
    Less luxury is killing the luxury models.