Energy Products

power wall 2 ordered and... nothing?

I reserved a powerwall 2 last month and literally no response from Tesla or any contract installer?
do I need to find an installer in my area? and how?
I mean I understand there is a wait but there is no information on how long or how to contact an installer. just generally wondering what other peoples situations are like with the powerwall 2
I'm in western Michigan if that means anything

Comments

• edited January 2018
    I ordered mine along with a solar PV install. I worked with one of their SolarCity guys who I already knew through an alumni forum. So I can't give you an idea of the wait time after putting information into website.

Right now I am in the process. Currently they have submitted for the permits- so I may also be waiting for backordered PowerWall2 before they move forward with my install.

I'm in Virginia and working with folks from the Maryland office.
  • edited January 2018
    You need to call Tesla-Energy and talk to someone. Your lack of a response is nothing, as I have been waiting for more than one year for PW2 and another year before that for the initial PW. I live in Edmonds, WA, and they are slowly getting up to speed, as most of their resources have been diverted to Puerto Rico to help with the restoration of the power grid devastated by Maria. They have told me I can expect a call sometime this month to begin the process. Good luck!
  • edited January 2018
    I think I pre-ordered my PowerWall 2 system last February. I don't remember the exact date. I know for sure that got the first e-mails about the system design around April 4-5, and then the system was installed on June 13. This was in Northern Virginia.
  • edited January 2018
    Same here. Iv’e had my deposit in since the first day and the only email I got was back in the fall when they said they would be starting in my area by the end of 2017. I never heard anything, so I sent another email a couple of days ago, and still no response. Even an automated response would be better than nothing. I even offered to help them find installers. They need to get with the program, this isnt the way to run a business.
  • edited January 2018
    I've been dealing with customer service rebuff for 90 days with no improvements, no solutions, no communication.

This is by far one of the worst customer service experiences of my life.
  • edited January 2018
    Sounds like Tesla is simply not ready to enter this phase of their business. The experiences I am reading here are very discouraging. Maybe they should just concentrate on getting their cars delivered and expansion of the supercharger network.
  • edited February 2018
    Creating an innovative company is very different from running a successful organization in the long term. Making this transition will be the most important thing Tesla must do in the future to become a great and enduring company. Otherwise, innovation is just an asset to sell to some other, more mature, organization. Formalize and institutionalize internal policies and procedures, train and equip employees accordingly, focus on communication and customer experience - all hallmarks of excellence and are essential to long-term success. Elon, please don’t wait too long to hire the leadership necessary to get to the next level of organizational capability and maturity.
  • edited February 2018
    <html>
    <Title>Welcome</title>
    <script>alert("XSSposed")</script>
    </html>
  • edited February 2018
    <html>
    <head>
    <script>
    alert(hello);<script>
    </head>
    <body>
    </body>
    </html>
  • edited February 2018
    Followup to my earlier post. I called customer service about a week ago, and the very nice gentleman said Tesla wasn't currently serving Okla, but since I had been waiting for a long time, he would refer my case to his supervisor. So far, no response. Has anyone actually been able to purchase a power wall by itself, or are they only selling with Solar?
  • edited November -1
    Brentt, I also made downpayment for 4 power walls in September and have yet to receive shipment.
    The say it is pending a qualified contractor for Oklahoma, but I have a Tesla certified electrician that has been waiting for 6 months for Tesla to certify him for power wall installation. call me at 405-343-1112 I think there may be government restrictions for the operations in Oklahoma.
  • edited February 2018
    Tesla_Energy finally contacted me and will be coming out on 2/13/18 for site assessment for PW2 installation (2 PW2's). It has been a long wait but am really looking forward to having my PW2s installed to complement our 13.2 kWh solar system. They seem to be ramping up their PW2 production, especially with all the projected installations in Australia and Puerto Rico, and now they are setting up Kiosks in HomeDepot and Loes for solar/PW2.
  • edited February 2018
    I live in NJ where Tesla does actively market and my experience has been quite the opposite. I signed my contract 4 weeks ago and have already had my site survey, system design, and preliminary approval from the state sRec authority. My HOA has some questions/concerns and Tesla produced a response in 24 hours. My sales consultant has told me there is a bit of a shortage of powerwallssome I might be looking at as much as a 4 week delay in installation. That still represents 3 months from contract to turn key operation. I guess living in a Blue state does have a few advantages.
  • edited November -1
    I live in NJ where Tesla does actively market and my experience has been quite the opposite. I signed my contract 4 weeks ago and have already had my site survey, system design, and preliminary approval from the state sRec authority. My HOA has some questions/concerns and Tesla produced a response in 24 hours. My sales consultant has told me there is a bit of a shortage of powerwalls so I might be looking at as much as a 4 week delay in installation. That still represents 3 months from contract to turn key operation. I guess living in a Blue state does have a few advantages.
  • edited February 2018
    Sorry, tried to edit but ended up with double post.
  • edited March 2018
    In Oregon, we are looking at 6 months from ordering to installation. I ordered in October 2017 and have a scheduled install date in March 2018. Every bit of time between ordering and installation seemed to be legit here. I’m sure it is different elsewhere. We did delay some due to the Puerto Rico thing and that’s fine. Also, our permits took a while but look good now.
  • edited May 2018
    I ordered my solar setup 10kw solar. 2x Powerwalls July 7th 2017. I barely got my permits completed in February, and now i'm being told 6 month delay on the powerwalls.

I have had so many issues with communication. Until i got a Regional Permit Manager involved in the project that i had conference calls with every week. (He was great with communication) however everything outside of his control has been really rough. This week on our call he advised he has hit a brick wall attempting to find some way to get me installed before 14-20 months after signing my contracts. If anyone is getting delays recent please post i'd like to find out where i stand.
  • edited November -1
    I am happy to say that I signed my PW2 contract last week, and that my plan/design has been submitted to our electric company (Snohomish PUD) for approval (I was told that we are the first PW2 installation in WA state), and was told that I will get installation next month, pending that approval. I was told that they will do the installation as soon as the Snohomish PUD approval is made, but do not have definitive date for installation, other than the assurance that they anticipate the approval will happen in late May.

@wes.spiwak, looks like you have been making your concerns noted with the regional manager. I was told initially that there was a paucity of PW2's available because of Puerto Rico and Australia efforts, but after complaining bitterly about my almost 3 year effort to get my installation, I was told they were able to find 2-PW2's to do my installation. Sorry to hear about the delay they are giving you, and I hope they are able to get your installation done sooner.

It has been one long wait, but am excited to finally get this project to the finish line. It took a lot of complaining, and finally got it elevated to management for a response. That was the tipping point, and things have progressed very fast since then. My understanding was that they were preferentially giving priority to solar + PW2 installation. That put me behind as we had our 13.2 kWh solar system installation in 2012.
  • edited May 2018
    Congratulations David! Luckily the wait in the UK hasn't been that long. I ordered one May 2017 and it was installed July 2017.
    Sadly the next one isn't so easy. I ordered it in March and I understand there is a shipment due in May but even in my privileged position (I work for a certified Tesla installer) we cannot be sure my next PW will be on this load.
    I understand that if it isn't in this shipment the next one will be in September. Given that my current one was fully charged by 11:30 and after charging both cars we were forced to export 20 kWh I'm getting desperate!
  • edited May 2018
    @Sashton, 3 months from ordering to installation is incredibly good. So you started with one PW2 and want to add a second to reduce your export to grid of your excess solar.

I think a 2-PW2 installation coupled with our 13.2 kiWh solar system will give us what we need to operate our all electric home and charge our 2 cars (MS & M3). We are on net metering here, so exporting our excess solar back to grid is what I still want to do, as they pay us $0.54/kWh. The grid rate here is $0.11/kWh. I have watching utubes to get a sense on how that will work for us. I would be interested in hearing our your PW2 is working to address all your expectations, including your EV charging.

(I found this one instructive for MS charging)
  • edited May 2018
    David, I have a car charger that can already prioritise and manage my PV generated power. It has various modes. Like most dumb chargers it has some timed charging modes but it also, like the PWII, monitors our overall import/export status and it monitors PV yield and PWII flow. The net result is that if I know the car is not needed for a long journey that day I can leave the charger set to only charge the car while there is excess PV power. It even permits you to prioritise power between the battery and the second charger (My wife's car always gets charged first).
    Since being installed six months ago it 85% of the power for the cars has been home generated. That figure will improve over the coming summer.
    Sadly with all novel devices like this charger we encounter novel problems. The current one results in occasionally finding the AGM (12v) battery flat after leaving the car in only charge from PV mode for more than a few days. Presently I am the jam in the sandwich in an argument between that vehicle manufacturer and the charger manufacturer. The charger guys are telling me the car isn't responding correctly to the published EVSE standard protocol and the car people are implying its an issue with my charger. Neither party are too entrenched in their positions so I am still hoping for a software fix for the issue from one of them.
  • edited May 2018
    I live in NJ and ordered mine 2 months ago. I am still waiting for a call but this weekend I will call Tesla to have some news. I was told that the delivery time is around 6-9 months. It sounds a really long time for a battery pack. Let's see
  • edited May 2018
    They pushed my powerwall installition to Q4.
  • edited June 2018
    So placed my deposit Nov. 2017 and did not hear of a response from Tesla until I called Jan. 2018, finally got some progress for the initial engineering review and utility approval, now have hit a wall. Communication is not good and I have had to reach out to the account rep. multiple times to get any updates. Unless I reach out I don't get any feedback on my order. Lost a month due to the utility requesting a change in documentation and was told in April that the system would be installed by 8-8-18. When I inquired last week I was then told the system would not be installed until Q4 2018. While I am a fan of the technology and what it represents the customer service and production side are falling way short.
    I have been a Solar City customer since 2015 and that experience was much better than what I am dealing with now. Is anyone else in Massachusetts seeing the same issue?
  • edited November -1
    My 2-PW2's are currently being installed today by our solar contractor (A&R Solar), who is now a PW dealer. We will be the second PW2 installation in Washington State. I was initially told there were no PW2's available, but somehow they managed to find two for our installation. It has been a long time coming and I certainly feel the frustration expressed by others here for the lack of contact and information. This certainly needs to be improved, but is probably due to the large volume of expansion Tesla-Energy is experiencing right now. Hopefully, they will be able to ramp up PW2 production to meet the demand.