Model 3

Build Quality

SGBSGB
edited November -1 in Model 3
When I picked up my Model 3 a little over a week ago, I looked it over pretty carefully in the delivery center before taking it home. The more time I spend with it, the more I’ve begun to notice issues. First, Tesla neglected to hook up the hoses that come from the windshield wipers to the pump. I popped off the cover under the frunk hood and found the tubes dangling there next to their barbed connectors. Hooked them up and all works well with the sprayer. Then I noticed the right front quarter panel isn’t lined up with the door or the A pillar. Then I noticed that the front right door has a pretty big ripple in it that you can see when you look along the door at the reflection. The driver side A pillar headliner also isn’t glued down properly so it sticks out into the windshield.

Anyone else noticing issues?

Comments

• edited January 2018
    Tom from the talking tesla podcast had the same headliner glue issue.... and a few other fit/finish things as well
  • When Elon uses quality control as one of the reasons for the slow ramp...hope these are isolated incidences!
  • SGBSGB
    edited January 2018
    My thoughts exactly. Sounds like a lot of hot air.
  • edited November -1
    Dsmtesla
    "Tom from the talking tesla podcast had the same headliner glue issue"
    That's where some people got the idea from I assume.
  • edited January 2018
    For the ripple in the door, do you mean in the exterior paint I'm guessing? What color did you get?

Can you post pics of any of these? Seems like I have seen another pictures of a M3 drivers side A pillar where it looks like it protrudes to far into the windshield about 2/3rds the way down towards to dash.
  • SGBSGB
    edited January 2018
    It’s not the paint. It’s a dent or crease in the door panel from the inside out.
  • edited January 2018
    This sort of thing is making its way into the professional reviews. They are systemic, not isolated issues.

Good, fast, cheap, pick two. Model 3 is cheap (or at least it was conceived to be) and so manufacturing hell is a battle between fast and good. He can't have two and so it's a matter of deciding how much slop is acceptable and how much consumers will tolerate.
  • edited November -1
    "They are systemic, not isolated issues." Evidence?

For the record, there are no such defects in our VIN ~1400 M3. None at all. A "systemic" problem would be present in virtually all vehicles, no?

As for reviewers, I believe they read the extant reviews out there and glom onto issues.
  • edited January 2018
    No sympathy from me. You got your car before the rest of us. Improvements in quality control and software will be made as production ramps up. If you diidn't want to deal with these issues on a new production car, you could have deferred your invitation for 6 or 12 months and let someone else deal with the issues. Anyone want to give me their early invitation? I am willing to deal with the inconveniences.
  • edited January 2018
    @mos

Pick two? Pick Good, Fast.
  • edited January 2018
    At no time has Tesla referred to Model 3 as 'cheap'. They have only used the word 'cheaper' to compare using Superchargers with fueling gasoline cars. The Model 3 was meant to be an affordable vehicle for people who buy new cars. It is precisely that, not 'cheap' at all.
  • edited November -1
    When I picked mine up, there were plenty of others around and I didn't see those sorts of problems on any of them. I'm not saying that there aren't any with problems, but it's not as if you should expect problems if you pick one up.
  • SGBSGB
    edited January 2018
    @EM34ME honestly, that’s ridiculous. While I do agree that you take some risk getting an early production car, this isn’t Tesla’s first attempt at building cars, and if it weren’t that they were in a hurry to get their production numbers up, I dont think this kind of thing would happen. It’s really inexcusable to produce a car with body panel deformations and gross misalignments and call it good. Simply because you’re jealous you don’t yet have one doesn’t mean this is acceptable or expected. I doubt BMW’s first production model for 2017 had these issues. There are just a lot of people out there that are so enthralled with Tesla that they give them much more latitude that any other car manufacturer.
  • edited January 2018
    My first production year of a 1982 Chevy Cavalier was the worst car I’ve ever owned. Never went on a trip over 200 where something didn’t break. Owned it about six months, and it’ll be the last Chevy I’ll ever own.

Looking forward to my Model 3 with its minor issues.
  • edited January 2018
    General Motors had been building cars since the year my Grandfather was born, yet the circa 1978 Monte Carlo my Mom drove suffered 'body panel deformations and gross misalignments' as did pretty much every other vehicle out of Detroit back then. I doubt anyone here really wants a Model 3 with a 'Body by Fisher' all the same.

I used to work somewhere that the managers seemed to make a game of yelling, "Unacceptable!" in response to any explanation, followed immediately by the words, "That's no excuse!" In all my time there, they never, even once, offered a solution or mentioned what actually was 'acceptable'. Those people were crazy.

I am not a 'thrall' to Tesla. I do not give a [FLAMING FIG] about BMW. I am not giving 'latitude' to Tesla, so much as not caring the slightest about innocuous' build quality issues' that will undoubtedly be solved. Though my ire does rise at the barely veiled suggestion that such insignificant errors point to larger issues at the core of Tesla's vehicle design. That is [BOLSHEVIK].
  • edited January 2018
    I’m pretty OCD and I’ve crawled all over my Model 3 (VIN 25xx) and have not found any issues in the first 3 weeks. It’s as crisp as can be.
  • edited January 2018
    Can you post a picture of the "dent" or "crease" that you mention?
  • edited January 2018
    Yeah @SGB I am jealous, VERY jealous. You are receiving a guaranteed $7500 tax credit and if you live in CA another $2500 rebate and in SoCal another $450 rebate from Edison. For me that totals $10.450 to deal with insignificant (in my definition) first production issues. That is a lot of money to deal with some inconveniences. If I were in your position, I would man up and be happy for my good fortune.

This afternoon, I peeked inside a BMW 'whatever' that was on display at the local Costco. $50K sticker price. Confusing buttons and knobs all over the place. UI screen that was the size of a smartphone. No glass roof. No AP. Seat materials similar to 3. Textile instead of Al Cantara headliner. $995 destination charge. And in my opinion, HALF the car of the first production 3 with all the warts. And as Red Exile says, I could give a 'Bolshevik' :o) about the BMW which had panel gaps and performance that is embarrassing compared to the 3.

@SGB you always have the option of selling your car (at a profit) if it is not your cup of "T" There would be plenty of takers if priced fairly. Yes, I am so enthralled and jealous with the 3 that I would happily take your car off your hands for what you paid for it minus all the tax credits. It could be a win/win for both of us.
  • edited January 2018
    SGB,
    While I'm sure you feel your concerns are valid you are barking up the wrong tree. 99% of the people on this forum are still waiting for their Model 3. You will get no sympathy here from the 500,000+ that are still waiting. You should move along and complain to a more receptive audience. Perhaps there is a "current owner of a Tesla and new owner of model 3 who isn't happy with the quality of the model 3" forum that you could post rather than here at the "I don't have a Tesla and I'd really really like to get one" forum.
  • edited November -1
    Wow, this is a tough crowd. New owner, has some issues, came here to find out if others have them or if he's just unlucky. And everyone jumps on him out of envy because he has one, and they don't.

SGB -
    I've heard a number of reports of minor issues (like your headliner, the unforgivable hoses, etc). Haven't heard any reports of creased panels, though. Nothing has really stuck out yet - indicating to me that their quality system isn't really up to snuff yet - because lots of different kinds of errors are sneaking out into the field. I'm interested in these kinds of reports, because it gives me a few more things to look for when I finally get mine.

Good luck with your 3, and I hope Tesla resolves all your issues in the coming weeks.
  • SGBSGB
    edited January 2018
    @Frank99. Thank you. I’m not looking for sympathy at all, just wanting to know if the things I’ve noticed are common or if I’m just unlucky. I seem to be when it comes to cars. I don’t quite know why people who don’t yet have one think I’m looking for sympathy though. There are plenty of those on this forum that now have their cars and can opine.
  • edited January 2018
    Just my attempt to make the conversations here a bit more civil.
  • Frank99 +1
  • edited November -1
    Common thing I found between the 4 I was present for delivery on as well as a few others I was able to look at in the deliver center on each visit was the right rear door. The lower half of the door sticks out in relation to the rear quarter panel. Same thing on every car. You don't really notice it unless you squat down and look from the rear forward, but did notice it on every car. Being that this was the same on all four of our cars as well as 3 or 4 others I looked at, this seems to be more of a production issue. Something needs to be adjusted in how they template out the door or quarter panel. Doesn't appear there's any way to adjust it. Quarter panel where it meets the door has no room for adjustment. Only the lower half of the door, but not all the way to the bottom sticks out, so if you try to adjust the door, then the parts that line up now wouldn't line up anymore. Fortunately it's down low, but short of bending the door panel to fit, they're going to have to revise the way the main chassis/body is hung, or reshape the door panels in production.

One of the cars, the A-Pillar Alcantara on the right side had to spots near the dash that looks like they were shave out. Almost like a scar as if a mole were removed, leaving a rough patch behind. Don't know if it was just a bad piece of Alcantara material or if it happened after installation.

Not a build quality issue, but more because the cars were sitting in lots for several months, but one was delivered with a nice big ding in the LR quarter panel, right on the fender well crease. Was shocked that Tesla would attempt to deliver it that way and not fix it first. Who wants to pick up their brand new car with a dent in it? Couldn't miss it. Took me all of thee seconds to spot it.
  • edited January 2018
    Mine is awesome, love driving it everyday!