Model 3

Tesla Model 3 Teardown By Engineering Firm Reveals Quality Flaws Like 'A Kia In The '90s'

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-3-teardown-by-engineering-firm-reveals-qual-1822678045

I'm not sure what to think of this, but some of it sounds pretty bad. Idk

Comments

• edited February 2018
    From the article:

It’s worth noting that a representative for the company told me over the phone that Munro’s biggest automaker clients are the “Big Three.”
  • edited November -1
    It’s Jalopnik. That’s all you need to know.
  • edited February 2018
    @Lane - Does that negate the issues....some of the same issues others have reported, about fit and finish, etc?
  • edited February 2018
    I spoke with my dashcam installer about the fit and finish and he said it is awesome. He’s worked on probably 200 Xs and Ss and he said the 3 is solid and awesome.
  • edited February 2018
    @KP - This doesn't seem like a hack job or sound like someone bent on bashing the Model 3. You're saying that his findings are invalid or diminished because they're on Jalopnik?
  • edited February 2018
    See @Lane79’s post above.
  • edited February 2018
    @Lane - Actually it reads "Munro’s company Munro and Associations is an engineering consultancy known for reverse-engineering not just automobiles, but everything from airplanes to household items like rice cookers, to learn how they work. It’s worth noting that a representative for the company told me over the phone that Munro’s biggest automaker clients are the “Big Three.”

To suggest payoff, conspiracy or influence by the Big 3 seems a bit far-fetched to me at this point. Again, I don't know this company backwards and forwards, so there's really no way to say for sure either way.
  • edited February 2018
    I have now studied three Model 3s in person - looking carefully at the fit and finish, and opening and closing each door, frunk and trunk. 2 of them as sold to consumers and one in a showroom.

I just don't see anything here - I didn't see anything at all that bothered me.

I imagine that the experts can look at things with a fine-tuned microscope and find things that I would never notice.
    If the thumbnail versus thumb thing is true - I would imagine that this is not common and that it would be fixed upon request.
  • edited February 2018
    @lilbean - So the gaps others have reported, etc., and all just fairytales and customers anyone that reports these issues is lying too? There are other issues with the Model 3 from owners (Facebook Model 3 owners group) that are worse than what's being reported here. You can only dismiss and discount so much.
  • edited February 2018
    are all*
  • edited November -1
    @coolneworld, I haven’t been following the forum until recently and I only commented on what I learned from someone who has already worked with many Model 3s. Thank you kindly. :)
  • edited February 2018
    mntlvr23 - Yes I have no doubt that Tesla would fix these things. Thanks for your first hand insight.
  • edited February 2018
    That article is brilliant!!!!! Tesla 3 is poor man's Tesla POS. I rode in one last week and it frightened the hell out of me. It's for Silicone Valley snobs whom can't afford the really crazy X. I had an S for a month and dumped it. I am SO thrilled with my new 2018 Kia Stinger GT2!!!!!!
  • edited February 2018
    My biggest take, do not store anything valuable in the frunk. Short the two wires in the bumper and it opens right up.
  • edited February 2018
    @lilbean Think you can use the word AWESOME one more time?
  • edited November -1
    Wow, what a sweetheart.
  • edited February 2018
    I forgot this is the Model 3 forum where people like to complain about the car.
  • edited February 2018
    Got mine on Jan 3.. no problems with fit or finish. 1 data point, mine; the most important one.
  • edited February 2018
    I had a chance to go over a friend’s Model 3 yesterday. I did notice that the frunk was badly misaligned. The right side was nearly half a centimeter higher than the left. It doesn’t sound bad, but it was very noticeable.

Also, the rear passenger side door was much harder to close and latch than the others. The first time I tried to close it, it refused to shut and I basically had to force it closed. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong, but my friend said he noticed it, too.

The last time I saw stuff like that was a car that had gotten into an accident and had been repaired badly. Weird. But he did say it drove well and he was otherwise very happy with it.
  • edited February 2018
    How is a short person supposed to close the trunk?
  • edited February 2018
    @cephellow - "1 data point, mine; the most important one" +1
    Congrats - that is great to hear
  • edited February 2018
    autoxer7 - my wife is 4'-10" and has no problem to reach the handles. Of course there are shorter folks out there.
  • edited February 2018
    From the headline - i expected some major engineering issues as he tore the car apart - instead I got fit and finish issues and a handful of nit picks.

I'll take the car, even with fit and finish issues - i am not picky. It is the drive and experience I want, and that is what I will get.

And sorry, when the title starts off like that, the slant is all wrong. It is an attention grabber, with some minor squabbles by someone who has the big 3 as his biggest automaker clients.

Oh well, call me a fanboy, but I truly read the article looking for the aha, tesla messed up and underneath it is not that great. I didn't find it, sorry but fit and finish on first off a new line for a new car is nothing new for Tesla - if that surprises you, then where have you been? No new revelations from this - the car is still amazing (from what I am told by actual owners)
  • edited November -1
    The most troubling finding was where they showed an extra length of rubber window seal, glued onto the first window seal because it had been cut too short. On the driver's side, but not on the passenger side. How does that happen in a mass-produced car?
  • edited February 2018
    I took a look at official first responder procedures for Model S and Model 3.

* As the video says, Model 3 does not have manual door release handles in the rear. In the event of a crash, if you lose 12v power, you'll be getting out through the front or through the trunk. Model S has manual door release handles both in front and in the rear (though the rear ones are well hidden). Model S: 1, Model 3: 0.

* To cut off high voltage circuits either in a Model 3 or in a Model S, you need to open the frunk. To open the frunk in a Model 3 that lost power, you remove a panel in the front bumper and connect a 12V source (e.g. jumper cables from another car) to terminals behind it. To open the frunk in a Model S, you get behind front wheel arch liners and pull concealed frunk release levers. (There are two levers, left and right, and you need to pull both. Advantage: Model S if emergency first responders don't have a 12V source handy, otherwise Model 3. Does not look like either car is really secure from theft from the frunk.

* In a Model 3, there's a secondary high-voltage cutoff: you cut through the right rear pillar (behind the rear door and below the small triangular window) and you're done. Model 3: 1, Model S: 0.