Model 3

Brand New Model 3 - Biggest complaints!

edited February 2018 in Model 3
My husband just asked me what my biggest complaints are after a few hours of ownership and I wanted to share the first thing(s) that came to mind really quickly. I'll give a full write up by some form (here or YouTube) sooner than later. But for now...

The software needs some work. I want the display to show a little more info (energy usage, more obvious regen levels, better positioned clock). Hubs wants it to be more customizable. I also want the scroll wheels, windshield wiper stalk and voice controls to do a little more.

Then it hit me - and this is why I'm sharing: Tesla can and very likely will improve all of these things! When else do you get a brand new car and just expect, as a certainty, that it'll improve, for free over time? When do you immediately point out something you don't like but just know it'll change eventually? It's truly an incredible thing and I hope that everyone waiting on their cars knows what a treat they are in for having a car that legitimately gets better after you drive off the lot.

Oh, and many improvements made on S and X have been based on customer feedback. Imagine that - a company who listens! So if (when) you find things you really think can stand to improve, by all means share your ideas.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Did you replace your S with the 3? If not, which one is “yours” (vs. hub’s)?
  • edited November -1
    How are you managing charging 2 vehicles? Do both cars share one charger or outlet?
  • edited November -1
    PG - I really think this is one of the reasons why owners were bumped up (besides the fact that I really do think they were saying thanks.) But they did it as Tesla owners would (or should) be able to understand that the software is still being worked on and updated. All the things aren't there yet, but most owners were already "early" adopters and so they understand the process.

Maybe I am wrong, but I do think they are hoping that current owners would have patience with them as they continue to tweak and finalize the software :)
  • edited February 2018
    burdogg- I think you're pretty right on with that point. Took delivery over the weekend and there are some definite flaws to the software. However, some of those flaws are due to my software not being on the latest firmware. I think it would be cool, for the model 3 at least, to have a pop up menu or auto scroll to the windshield wipers when I touch the windshield wiper stock. I hope they make a quick menu to scroll through music, contacts, headlight controls, AC/Heater controls, etc like the Model S and X currently have. I think that would be a very major update to improve safety on the road. The current software is essentially just as bad as holding your phone in your right hand while driving. I am going to draw/design my idea of a quick menu pop-up activated by the right scroll wheel and tweet it to Elon Musk.
  • edited February 2018
    Congrats PhillyGal :)
    I'll look forward for your feedback on the car.
  • edited November -1
    Congrats @PhillyGal!

I will admit that I almost bypassed the thread since the title seemed just another complaint thread. Then I saw who wrote it!

Dove right in, water’s fine :)
  • edited February 2018
    @PG -- so we need an overall review -- Do you love it overall or what!?!
  • edited February 2018
    Congrats PhillyGal!
    First the Eagles. Now THIS! What a YEAR!
  • edited February 2018
    @phillygal, you need to do 2 reviews. One from you, and another from your mom.
    A little demographic spread in the reviews would be nice.
  • edited November -1
    @EVRider – Nope, the S is still ours (and still has 5 years of payments left – oy!). I’ll drive the Model 3 most days and he’ll drive the S. But we’ll swap once a week probably for fun.

@PBE – Dunno. I’ll let you know when this massive first charge runs down a bit. I assume that once or twice a week when I get home first I’ll pull into the garage and start a charge immediately, then move out to the street and put the S back in the garage.

@burdogg/G33 – Agreed. It’s a really weird concept that a car changes over time.

@johnse – Ha, glad to hear it! I didn’t mean for it to be clickbait per say but my husband did pose the question in exactly that way.

@noleaf – I’ll do a full review after a little more drive time but yes, I love it!

@gar – Tell me about it! What a few day stretch.

@vmulla – I was actually thinking the exact same thing! Ma’Dukes loves cars and could parallel park a semi if she needed to but her budget limits her to keeping her fingers crossed that her 2004 Trailblazer lives forever. (It was purchased when my dad was still alive and working…) So she doesn’t have experience even driving cars with things like Bluetooth or heated seats, let alone the most modern car on the planet. Her review could be really great for the great majority of reservation holders who are new to Tesla, EV, or brand new cars in general.
  • edited February 2018
    "Imagine that - a company who listens!"

"I can haz HUD?" (customer)

"NO" (Elon)
  • edited February 2018
    Would you be as excited for the possibility of OTAs if Tesla shipped a finished product?
  • edited February 2018
    Never owned a Tesla before the Model 3. My son has an S. So I was at least somewhat familiar. This is an amazing car. And as said above it will only improve. Since I got mine I have had 3 updates all with new features and I didn't have to take the car in for service to do it. It doesn't get any better than this. I really hate all of the complaining. I am even considering driving it from Baltimore to Orlando for a conference. And looking forward to it. Something I would have never thought of with my Prius.
  • edited February 2018
    >>> Would you be as excited for the possibility of OTAs if Tesla shipped a finished product?
    I would.
    My Ford Expedition has a DVD-based NAV system that will never be updated. It has a transmission shift controller that under various operating conditions could really use a software update or two. My wife's Accord has a central display and 20 buttons on the steering wheel that could (and does) stump an engineer (me), has a questionable Bluetooth connection to her phone, and could really use a software update or two. Eventually, Android Auto will support a wired USB connection to the phone rather than BT - but even though the entertainment system can read music files off her phone via USB, it'll never support the cabled version of Android Auto.

Neither one of these vehicles will ever get better. In fact, they'll get worse - Bluetooth compatibility issues with next year's phones will crop up for the Accord and won't get fixed (believe it or not, my wife changes phones more often than she does cars). The DVD drive for the Expedition nav system generally fails once or twice a trip because "the disk is dirty and can't be read" - this is a problem that's going to get worse also.

My understanding is that Tesla owners don't always buy into the concept that "change is good" - read the Model S forums for continued bellyaching about how the music player app has gotten crippled over the years, or how the screen response has slowed. Those complaints are likely vastly overshadowed in most owner's minds with the changes that have been well received.
  • edited November -1
    "Would you be as excited for the possibility of OTAs if Tesla shipped a finished product", you are joking right?

Name me 1, just 1 car from another car company that doesn't get any changes to it from the first day it comes out to the end of it's run.
  • edited February 2018
    "Would you be as excited for the possibility of OTAs if Tesla shipped a finished product?"

The beauty of OTAs is that the product is never finished.
  • edited February 2018
    There is a difference between changing features and features being outright missing (heated seats, etc). OTA sounds great, but the car should ship with a full set of features, not force owners to wait months to get features they've already paid for.
  • edited February 2018
    There is a difference between changing features and features being outright missing (heated seats, etc). OTA sounds great, but the car should ship with a full set of features, not force owners to wait months to get features they've already paid for.
  • edited November -1
    Sorry Jen, I got too irked by bayareakid.

Congrats on the car. Saw your Tweet, gorgeous color and you look like you are ready to pop.
  • edited February 2018
    @mos – You got me there but I’m one customer to dislikes a HUD so maybe there are more of me?

@bayarea – Expletive no! I don’t want a product to ever be finished. That means the day you get it it’s the best it will ever be. I want a product that can constantly improve. That old fashioned way of thinking needs to be left in the past?

@mark.ritter – Your trip will be amazing. We did Philly to Savannah, GA 2 months after getting our S… and our trip started in an ice storm! We were instantly hooked on long distance travel in a Tesla.

@Frank, @jordanrichard, @yodrak – Exactly! You folks get it.
  • Okay - I have a complaint with my 3. The nag bell. (The bell that I set to tell me when I'm over the speed limit settings - again.) The nag bell is really loud. Could it be turned down or could I get a control to set how loud I would like it? I keep increasing how many miles over the speed limit for it to sound. Right now I'm at 6 miles over for the bell. My husband I noticed has moved it up to 15 miles over the speed limit and now we are going to have "the talk" about his speed choices... The other option is to make the car not so darn fast. Nah, never mind that is not an option. Tesla needs to adjust the volume of the nag.
  • edited November -1
    @jordanrichard - Thanks! If I "pop" in the next 2 weeks, the kid is grounded indefinitely. He or she needs to wait until at least March 6th. Too much to do before then ;)
  • edited February 2018
    Philly, you can improve a finished product. Tesla can improve the Model 3 while also shipping it with all of the promised (and paid for) features.
  • edited February 2018
    They certainly didn't promise me a display that I would design differently if I were in charge.
  • edited February 2018
    No, but they promised fully functional EAP, heated seats and more. 7 months after launch and the car is still missing multiple features.