Model 3

Scale Tesla Model 3 as a gift for standing in line

edited November -1 in Model 3
The website Electrek is reporting that one of the gifts from Tesla for standing in line for reserving the Model 3 will be a scale model of the car with the same wheels and colour as ordered. If this is confirmed, I think Tesla with have done yet another great thing for those of us that supported Elon's vision for sustainable transportation and rocket acceleration!

Link to full article:
https://electrek.co/2018/02/26/tesla-model-3-first-day-reservation-holders-gift/

I'm sure that some will say that super charging for life or whatever would have been better but I think this balances nicely the idea of a gift with the cost concerns of Tesla shareholders.

Please join me in thanking Tesla and Elon for this thoughtful gift. Thanks guys!

Comments

• edited February 2018
    Its nice that you get anything for simply being one of the first people to put down a reservation.
  • edited February 2018
    With the level of detail on the Model S die-cast you can purchase on the site, id imagine this one being similar to that, which is awesome. If this gift is only available to the reservation holders that waited in line it would be a great desk or shelf item that would only become more collectible as Tesla continues to grow.

Look at how crazy people have gotten over The Boring Company items...
  • I am looking forward to the people criticizing the panel gaps in the model.
  • edited November -1
    And let’s pray to god it has alcantara in it! ;)
  • edited November -1
    @Geoff

I'm sure it will also have an orange peel paint job.
  • edited February 2018
    Every time this subject has been mentioned, I've said that I'd be ecstatic with a Hot Wheels sized version of the car that I could run across my desk going "vroom, vroom". It'll be a bit less useful if I have to actually buy the car first (because I no longer need to IMAGINE driving it), but I'd still be ecstatic.
  • edited February 2018
    It’s not clear to me if the something special will be just for line standers or pre-reveal online or first 24 hours from reveal including online and in-person. Regardless it sounds like a nice gesture.
  • edited February 2018
    They pulled his tweet from 2 years ago. This is has not been confirmed by Elon since then, as far as I'm aware
  • edited February 2018
    @bayareakid for the rescue.
  • edited November -1
    Not saying it is or isn't the gift, but Trevor from M3OC claimed yesterday to know what it is, but he's keeping mum.

Then hours before the Electrek article, Tesla Model 3 Road trip posted about it on FB, that it was a Hot Wheels model 3.

Yes Electrek pulled an old tweet but that does support the current rumor. We'll find out soon I guess.
  • edited February 2018
    SOON©.
  • edited February 2018
    "SOON©"®™
  • edited February 2018
    A great idea since, by giving you one in the same color and wheels as you ordered, it puts a nail into the "why haven't I got the gift yet".

And, since the first day res holders did put down $1000 for a vehicle not yet in production, I think a nominal gift such as this is entirely appropriate.

But how to keep it away from my 4yo grandson?
  • edited February 2018
    What's wrong with an orange peel paint job? Oranges look nice...
  • edited November -1
    @Jamespompi- I don't know how casually I would go around calling soon-to-be flamethrower-owning-pyromaniacs, "crazy"
  • edited February 2018
    "I think a nominal gift such as this is entirely appropriate."

A scale model like the $200 Tesla S they sell in their bling store is much more than "nominal". That would really be something. A hot wheels car is...sort of meh.
  • edited February 2018
    @mos6507:
    "A scale model like the $200 Tesla S they sell in their bling store is much more than 'nominal'. That would really be something."

I totally agree. That would actually be something I'd display with pride and really appreciate.
  • edited February 2018
    True, a 1:8 scale model like the one of the S, with that level of detail, would be more than "nominal". But the article also said "But it could also be smaller or different version.". I'm betting on something smaller than a 1:8 scale model.
  • edited February 2018
    The gift appears to be a 1/43rd scale model of the Tesla Model 3.

Source:
    https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-diecast-something-special-gift/
  • edited February 2018
    That would be cool...
  • edited November -1
    Any mini Model 3 - hot wheels size or larger - would be very cool!

My family has this weird thing where we all have a hotwheels or micromachine car displayed somewhere, usually over a door frame. My mom started it and we all followed suit when we got our own places.
  • edited February 2018
    Yeah, that's really neat. They definitely don't need to do that (for me anyway...just happy to be able to purchase a Tesla), but I'll proudly display it on my mantle alongside the sketch.
  • edited February 2018
    @djharrington I was more so referring to the people trying to sell a boring company hat on ebay for 40k.. I'd consider the model car much more collectible than that, even though I was expecting something different than the pics I saw this morning.
  • edited February 2018
    @mos6507:
    "A scale model like the $200 Tesla S they sell in their bling store is much more than 'nominal'. That would really be something."

They may sell the Model S model for $200, but I'd be surprised if they paid 1/4 of that.
  • edited February 2018
    This might explain all the delays. Imagine how hard it is to make a 1/43 sized assembly line to make all those models.