Model 3

What is your Wh/Mile?

Comments

• edited February 2018
    Hmmmm, I'm impressed with these numbers, less efficient than expected

Nissan Leaf, 2013 model, Vermont - we are at 245 Wh/Mi
    (granted, with frosted windows and children dressed as if dog sledding)
  • edited February 2018
    Question: Are the Wh/mile that people are reporting battery to wheels or wall to wheels? I'm guessing the former.

My 2013 Leaf has averaged 221 Wh/mile battery to wheels, 269 Wh/mile wall to wheels, over the past 2-1/2 years. That's an additional 22% for the charging losses if you're trying to calculate the impact on your electric bill.
  • edited November -1
    My Leaf had 260, P90DL 418 and X90D 480. Real world figures over years, NY type of climate, short commutes, car kept in garage.
  • edited November -1
    The numbers reported are just while the car is on. It does not take charging losses or "vampire drain" (consumption while the car is sitting but not "on") into account.

I had a 40mi drive this morning with round trip of 220 that included about half freeway at 75, and half city. That was just driving normal (but with my mandatory 1000ft elevation loss/climb), not racing, but not grampa-ing it.

I have a Focus EV with a record round trip of 168. That was definitely hypermiling it. What was cool to see this morning was that when I had reached my destination (before heading home), the 3 had used 135Wh/mi, compared to 170 for the Focus. That says a lot about the difference in the two cars' aerodynamics at speed.
  • I spent a couple of weeks and about 2300 miles diligently tracking my driving and energy consumption in a googlesheet.

The sheet is here
    https://docs.google .com/spreadsheets/d/1Omek7dO53GdFYe6Gief94RdO94Qx5NK5PxdBhY-YcxA/edit?usp=sharing

One of the things that I learned is that to actually get 310 miles of range (19" Sport Wheel) is that you need to achieve 230 Wh/mile.
  • edited November -1
    @charles
    234 is the figure I got based on Bjorn's drive to 310 miles.
  • @Bighorn, As close to nirvana as I have gotten was 73.6 miles driven and 73 miles of range used which was dead on at 230Wh/mile.
  • edited February 2018
    Is it a correct assumption from the above testing, that to get the 310 miles max range in a M3, Tesla is calculating an average 230 Wh/mile?
  • edited February 2018
    @charles
    The error bar gets smaller the more miles you put into your calculus. Assuming the car's computer rounds, which seems to be the case with the Model S, your data yields a range of 230.6 to 233.5 Wh/m. Bjorn drove 310 miles at 225 Wh/m utilizing approximately 96% SOC.
  • edited February 2018
    @chris
    It's close. The other way to figure it out is to extrapolate the number of kWhs available from a full charge. Bjorn's drive yielded 72 kWh, extrapolated--I forget the decimal. Divide 72 by 310 and you get 232.3. So that's the ballpark.
  • What that drive with 18" + areo covers, 18" - sero covers or 19"?

My numbers are with 19"
  • edited February 2018

Looks like 18" without covers--check 17:14 to confirm.

Wheels don't really matter for calculating Tesla's rate constant. There are a lot of ways to get the wrong answer on a Model S if one relies on projected range data.
  • edited February 2018
    @charles. Thank you, very diligent of you.

The reason I posted this thread is because I'm realizing for my driving style
    1. Range Lost > Miles Driven by a big factor
    2. Additional supercharging stops being added as I'm doing road trips

I know a whole bunch of factors affect consumption, but it was more than I was expecting. In my opinion, range prediction in the Model 3 is not sophisticated as it is in the S (as it stands today)
  • edited February 2018
    @Silver - i’m Somewhere in the metro Atlanta area.

Drive Fast, Turn Left country...
  • edited February 2018
    Thank you for the Focus EV comparison. The Model 3 should be more efficient since it is lighter with less aerodynamic drag. I have 3 years/20,000 miles on my Focus EV and 251 wh/mile so I would expect a lower number when I get my 3. Model X with 50/50 driving, 15 months (2 SoCal “winters”) and 17,000 miles we are at 330 wh/mi including 1000 miles towing 4,500+ pounds.
  • edited February 2018
    328wh - 950mile - lead foot
  • edited February 2018
    Agree with vmulla. I can only get the 235 Wh/mile "target" with the climate control off in my M3 and at speeds < 60 miles/hr. That would extrapolate to the rated range of 310 miles.Temps here are in the high 40s.
  • edited February 2018
    I parked my baby boy in the garage for the first time last night!!!

46 degrees outside and a 12 mile (46 minute) drive saw 189 wh/mi :)
  • edited February 2018
    Which gives me great confidence that in 50-80 degree weather the car will be super darn efficient! I estimate this was about 2 cents per mile. Gas would have been about 14 in a 20mpg car at $3/gallon. Woot!
  • edited February 2018
    Which gives me great confidence that in 50-80 degree weather the car will be super darn efficient! I estimate this was about 2 cents per mile. Gas would have been about 14 in a 20mpg car at $3/gallon. Woot!
  • edited February 2018
    Yeah, I hoping that the efficiency is much better in warmer weather. I'm getting an average of 300 Wh/mile over 5 years in my S.
  • edited February 2018
    @PhillyGal
    "46 degrees outside and a 12 mile (46 minute) drive saw 189 wh/mi :)"
    Sounds like a work commute? Slow and agonizing?
    But, didja didja use EAP? If so, was it nice?
    Wonderful wh/ml !!!
  • edited February 2018
    @PG
    I'm suspecting a slight descent?
  • edited March 2018
    I am taking a short road trip in the 3 from Grand Rapids, MI to Nashville, TN today. I am tracking a bunch of data, such as: speed, temp, charging times / costs, range and a bunch more. I am also tracking the Wh/mi for the trip each way and will report that.

So far 203 miles in and I am averaging 338 Wh/mi - average speed is probably 65mph (Indiana is slllooow) at 33 degrees outside temp.

Drew in MI
  • edited March 2018
    It's weird how all over the place it is. Some people claim ~220 Wh / mile at 65 MPH. And others claim ~330.