Model 3

What is your Wh/Mile?

Comments

• edited March 2018
    And @PhillyGal gets 189 in a Philadelphia February?
  • edited March 2018
    251 Wh/mi
    mixed driving
    60 degrees

Model 3 seems much more efficient than my S70D with 48,000 miles.
    Note: the Wh/mi figures reported on the dash do not account for non-driving energy loss and I am running about 2.54 RM lost per day when the car is not moving and am getting about 4 RM/kWh when charging the car (my S70D runs very close to 3.0 RM/kWh and 4.2 RM lost/day when not moving).
  • edited March 2018
    Might want to add the starting battery temp as a potential factor.
  • edited March 2018
    Just reached Lousiville, 390 miles in on the trip. Temps are warming up to 60. Average is down to 305 Wh/mi for the trip so far. I love how fast this thing supercharges compared to my 2013 S 85.

Drew in MI
  • edited March 2018
    I assume that the M3 range estimate is determined by using the EPA drive test cycles. After a bit of online research, it seems that the test cycles were originally designed for ICE cars so they don't really comprehend battery temperature. I wonder what external temperature M3 was officially tested at?
  • edited March 2018
    Lifetime:

Wh/m = 270
    KWh = 1081
    Miles = 4008

Some snippets:

I drove from SF to LA and back. Got about 310 Wh/m. The real miles on a full battery extrapolated out to 250miles instead of the rated 310. For context, I was driving about 85 miles most of the way, and sometimes broke 90-95. Amazing drive at those speeds.

My daily commute is from Berkeley to Redwood City. Including dropping my son off at school, I usually do about 80 miles every day. The last couple runs in between charging:

Real Miles Driven = 39.5 KWh = 10 Wh/m = 246 Rated Miles Spent = 45
    Real Miles Driven = 118 KWh = 31 Wh/m = 264 Rated Miles Spent = 141
    Real Miles Driven = 110.6 KWh = 29 Wh/m = 261 Rated Miles Spent = 128
    Real Miles Driven = 86.8 KWh = 24 Wh/m = 276 Rated Miles Spent = 107
    Real Miles Driven = 77.1 KWh = 21 Wh/m = 278 Rated Miles Spent = 96
    Real Miles Driven = 29.6 KWh = 7 Wh/m = 222 Rated Miles Spent = 29
    Real Miles Driven = 124.6 KWh = 28 Wh/m = 228 Rated Miles Spent = 137
    Real Miles Driven = 48.8 KWh = 10 Wh/m = 215 Rated Miles Spent = 44

I too have noticed that to achieve the Rated Miles shown, I'd need to drive a little under 240 Wh/m. For the above, please keep in mind that the Rated Miles Spent aren't all from road driving. Because I'm showing how many rated miles were spent during the time that I drove those real miles, it also includes vampire drain from being in the garage. On that note, I keep my Model 3 in a garage that gets cold by Bay Area standards. That would be in the 40F range. Yet, I've sometimes noticed my car draining 2% of battery life over an evening or up to 24 hour period. So in many cases, I'll park the car and come back the next morning to find 4 miles gone from the RM. In one extreme case, 8 miles were gone and the car hadn't moved for 12 hours.

Anyway, my best efficiency has been obviously in stop and go traffic. And it wasn't until I was stuck driving behind a bus for the entire stretch of 101 from Redwood City up to SF that I realized I could game this thing and achieve great efficiency by engaging in gradual acceleration and then repeated stops, and always at sub-65mph speeds.

One other note: I've found that RM disappear quickly if I start out with spirited and lead-footed driving, even if I end up stabilizing to 250 Wh/m with very efficient driving later. In the case of second-from-the-bottom, you'll see lots of RM taken off even though I ended up at 228Wh/m. Conversely, if I begin and end with more efficient driving, I can often drive more miles and show less RM spent as in the final case. It's also seemed to be the case that having quick but short acceleration and braking rather than a steady small use of acceleration is better for efficiency.

My observations.
  • edited November -1
    MS P85 - 365 wh/mile / M3 235 wh/mile on same travel routes in San Diego
  • edited March 2018
    @calbruins,
    Thank you so much for the detail. Wow! That's wonderful logs. You've set a good baseline for others to compare.
    My own observations match what you've recorded.
  • edited March 2018
    Calbruins,
    Great information!
    May I ask which wheels you have? If you have the aero 18" wheels, do you keep the caps on?
  • edited March 2018
    In Model S 55k miles avg 268wh/mile
    In Model 3 1k miles avg 226wh/mile

25% highway 65/75 mph 75% Rural roads 40/55 mph for past month with model 3 temps outside 65 to 75 degrees minimal use of AC
  • edited November -1
    Model 3: 3,752 miles @ 235 mostly highway driven miles @ 50-70F 19" wheels
    Model S: 87,000 miles @ 294 mostly highway driven miles @ 50-70F

The way I figure it, the 3 is 20% more efficient.
  • edited March 2018
    Model 3: 980 miles @217 Wh/miles city & hwy in No Calif 50-65 F with Aero wheels.

2012 P85: 61000 miles @314 Wh/miles city & hwy in No Calif with 21" wheels.
  • edited March 2018
    I can relatively easy get the 230 Wh/mile without the heat on. The temps here are in the 40s and 50s and my speed is < 60 mph. But once the heat is on I'm at 320+ Wh/mile.
  • edited March 2018
    @chris.hansen

You're saying you're getting a 40% reduction in economy / range using the heat when the temperature is only in the 40s? Wow, that's a pretty steep drop. I wonder if there's something wrong?
  • edited March 2018
    4.5 weeks of M3 ownership. We averaged 236 wh/mi in February w average temp of 40.9 degrees F. We have averaged 218 wh/mi in March w average temp of 49 degrees F. The car definitely responds to temperature and seems to improve with warming.
  • @eeb9 I travel to Atlanta for business and drive a rented car there a lot. Man, I don't feel the need to drive that fast. I have often driven 10 miles to the nearest Sweet Tomatoes to get a salad for a meal rather than deep fried anything but never had to go 85 to feel safe.
  • edited March 2018
    how do you see the wh/mi in a model 3? I see this nice graph in my X, but on 3 I cant seem to find it :-(
  • edited March 2018
    @bryan.whitton - which roads are you driving on? I've seen instances where the flow of traffic coming out of a congested area approaches 100 (I-85 SB, south of the city during rush hour - the exhuberance of relief! lol). Normal flow on both I-75 and I-85 north of the city is 80-85 when conditions permit. Drivers slow down a bit below 80 when passing speed traps, then perk right back up.

Most truck traffic runs at ~75, so if you're at least keeping up with them, you're safe - though you'll collect your share of puzzled looks from passers-by... ;-)
  • edited March 2018
    @mejo:
    "how do you see the wh/mi in a model 3? I see this nice graph in my X, but on 3 I cant seem to find it :-("

In the lower left corner of the screen is a panel which you can swipe to display different information. If you swipe to the odometer and trip counter displays the Wh per mile stats are part of them.
  • edited March 2018
    @Carl Thompson
    I dont know why I get such a big drop. I wonder what others are seeing? There is a bit of stop-and-go traffic on my commute so it could be just the time of the trip with heat on that does it.
  • edited March 2018
    235 WH/mile mostly local driving in warm weather
  • edited March 2018
    @Carl Thomson It is about a 28% decrease in efficiency/range. You use about 40% more energy to go the same distance.
  • edited March 2018
    @Model_D:
    "It is about a 28% decrease in efficiency/range. You use about 40% more energy to go the same distance."

Yup, good nitpick! ;-)
  • edited March 2018
    @Iwantmy3: I have the 19" wheels.

I am very curious what the real world difference is between my efficiency and someone with 18" aeros.
  • edited March 2018
    Thank you for the information Calbruins