Model 3

What is your Wh/Mile?

Comments

• edited March 2019
    Wh/Mile: 259
    Driving type: Mixed commute, occasionally punch it
    Temperature: 40-90F
    Austin TX

Unfortunately, my Wife wastes Wh/mi on climate control.
  • edited March 2019
    I’ve only had the car a couple of days thus far but the first day I averaged 250wh/mile. 85% freeway commute, no climate on just heated seats. Weather has been 45-50 sunny every day. Last 2 days (albeit using autopilot trial) I’m getting a lot lower efficiency at roughly 290-300wh mile.

What’s weird is I average a really high wh/mile the first 35 miles of my commute then it starts to flatten out for the last 5 miles and when I get off Highway it goes down like 20-25 as soon as I get off.
  • edited March 2019
    Cold NJ winter, 10,000 miles, LR RWD 298 wh/mi

Heavy with the foot at times and high speed on highways.
  • edited March 2019
    PD3+
    Wh/Mile: 350-370
    Driving type: Local/City
    Temperature: Pittsburgh - it always sucks.
  • edited March 2019
    P3D+
    4600 miles. 297 WH/m total average.

Very light foot driving in San Diego, so almost never used heater too. Seems a bit high.
  • edited March 2019
    Efficiency seems poor. Not near the rated average at all really. Don’t get me wrong, I love the car and realize it’s miles ahead of its competition and all. But I don’t see it averaging 250wh/m over it’s life. Way too many variables. Not everyone lives in a 75 and sunny climate year round and never uses AC/heat or goes above 60mph, all things that make it pretty impossible to achieve rated efficiency
  • edited March 2019
    Central CA here, 10 months owner and 7k+, LR. I have been consistently getting about 220 Wh/mile in town and 260 Wh/mile on HWY, and adding another 100 Wh/mile if turn the heat or AC on.

I used to park my car in driveway and got about 4-5 miles vampire drain a day, Now I finally cleaned up my garage and park inside, the drain dropped to 1-2 mile/day so I am happy.
  • edited November -1
    Wh/Mile: 329 average for under 500 miles
    Driving type: Mixed commute, have punched often since it's only three weeks old
    Temperature: 50-75F
    San Diego CA
  • edited March 2019
    With the latest update P3D- 34 mile commute shows 225Wh/mi floor it every now and then. Dont use heater or AC at all, no fan either. Previously it was 240-250, again all during winter time frames.
    Definitely better with recent updates, but not sure if thats just showing a different running avg vs actual better mileage life.
    I have aero wheels with covers on! (makes a difference wind noise very noticeable)
  • PERFORMANCE MODE
    Wh/Mile:359-410 Average
    Driving type: Highway& Local Daily Commute NYC- SPrited when the highway Opens Up
    Temperature: 40º-50-º

CHILL MODE
    Wh/Mile:249- 269 Average
    Driving type: Highway& Local Daily Commute NYC- Stingy on the throttle/ Heavy on the regenerative

average miles I get on a full charge(310) with mixed use of performance and chill mode is about 254 miles. So I get about 82% efficiency. Could probably see 95% efficiency in warmer weather driving like a grandma. - But I did not buy the performance Model 3 to drive like grandma. : )
  • PERFORMANCE MODE
    Wh/Mile:359-410 Average
    Driving type: Highway& Local Daily Commute NYC- lively driving when the highway Opens Up

CHILL MODE
    Wh/Mile:249- 269 Average
    Driving type: Highway& Local Daily Commute NYC- Stingy on the throttle/ Heavy on the regenerative

average miles I get on a full charge(310) with mixed use of performance and chill mode is about 254 miles. So I get about 82% efficiency. Could probably see 95% efficiency in warmer weather driving like a grandma. - But I did not buy the performance Model 3 to drive like grandma. : )
  • edited March 2019
    LR RWD in South Florida
    5k miles all in sport acceleration mode
    Mainly surface road driving with occasional highway driving
    Judicious use of climate control, but that will increase again in the coming months.

Lifetime Wh/mile Avg. = 213
  • edited March 2019
    266 wh/miles over total 5400 miles
    Live in Bay Area. Conservative driving but still no where near 240.
  • edited March 2019
    MR RWD Richmond
    300 miles
    avg: 270 Wh/mile. seems high compared to others.
  • edited March 2019
    85 odometer miles: 220wh/mile
    SR+ with aero wheels
  • edited March 2019
    AWD non-P. First 1k miles over 320 with VERY conservative driving and nice weather. Had a dragging brake rotor. When that freed up, my efficiency started to plumet. I'm now at almost 6k miles and my lifetime is down to 273wh/mi and dropping weekly. I drive it hard, punching it at every light, over 75mph on the freeway, AC, etc... and my normal results are around 240wh/mi.
  • edited March 2019
    Wh/Mile: 325-350
    Driving type: Highway
    Temperature: 60 F

I just bought M3 SR+ on Saturday. Took it 112 mi down to work driving at 83mph, windows down part of the way, which is what I usually drive. Was devastated to see that efficiency took such a huge nosedive with speed. Then I learn that you could have 40% range loss with single digit temperatures and other unfavorable weather conditions, possibly losing 100 mi of range with the combination of 75 mph speed and bad weather conditions. Unfortunately, this makes the car untenable in my situation since there are zero charging stations between my home and my work. I'd hate to get stuck in traffic with construction with only 40 mi buffer. Gonna have to return the sucker and pony up 10k for LR or get LR and drop the AI, which is half the fun of owning a Tesla. Goddangit, battery technology.
  • edited March 2019
    Thanks for disclosing the figures. As Model 3 Owners, folks would never know what efficiency real EV can achieve. On the mean time, it is getting wormer slowly and my efficiency ticked up to 5.1m/kWh from 5.0m/kWh through out the entire winter. And during summer, it would be close to 6m/kWh. BTW, I never drive in ECO mode, just normal drive mode all the time with max regen level#4.
  • edited March 2019
    >9k miles since September, 244 Wh/mile average

@wp2000, "Was devastated to see that efficiency took such a huge nosedive with speed" Yep its a real....drag....physics man, physics.
  • edited March 2019
    Wh/Mile: 231
    Driving type: Mixed Highway/City
    Temperature: 60-75 F (using AC 100% of the time)

SR+ took delivery 3/21 .. I have 604 mi on her now. Over the last week I've been driving it like Tesla, launching at lights every now and then, showing her off, and using AP a lot.... My average is a little over 230, which is ideal from what i'm reading.

This morning I decided to driver her like a Prius to see what I can get... my commute is 22mi half back roads (45 mph), half highway (75 mph), using AP 95% of the time I was able to achieve 207 Wh/mi. (driving 22.2mi and only using 21 mi of range)... w/ A/C and streaming music.... not bad at all!

I'm finding that I can have fun and drive the car like a Tesla, use AP as much as possible and still get close to or better than the advertised range overall. I've had a couple days over 300 Wh/mi.. but doing well on the average.

Cheers from Texas!
  • edited March 2019
    260 w/mi lifetime so far. Mid range RWD with 8,910 miles since delivery on December 12. Atlanta area. Most of the miles are at or around 75 mph in the HOV/HOT lanes on the interstate. I have a long commute and under ideal conditions where the weather is mild and traffic is a little heavy thus limiting my speed, I can get under 230 w/mi.
  • mvumvu
    edited March 2019
    Wh/Mile: 238
    Driving type: Highway/Local/Mixed
    Temperature: 40 - 90 F
    Almost one year & over 12,000 miles - Bay Area, CA
  • edited March 2019
    Y'all should specify AWD vs RWD and advertised battery range as well (LR,SR,MR).
  • edited March 2019
    243 LR 7000 miles. Mainly 30 miles a day to work and back doing 75 mph half way and stop and go the other half. Two 500 mile roundtrips all highway doing about 75 to 80 mph may have raised up the figire. I got my car in July and have hsd cabin overheat protection on all day when parked in the sun at work.
  • edited March 2019
    Wh/mile: 243
    Type of driving: 50/50 city, highway with occasional longer trips mostly highway
    Temp: NorCal so fairly mild
    Miles: 9,246