Model 3

PSA - Do not tint windshield

Comments

• edited March 2018
    A few notes after reading the comments:

1) not 100% positive, but I believe the windshield was sprayed and squeegeed clean so some runoff is expected. I think that’s standard practice.

2) not only did the phantom touch issue occur after the initial cleaning of the windshield, but the magnetic center console covers stoped working as well. I kept pressing them down but they just simply kept popping back up. The magnets no longer worked.

3) tinting the windshield definately helped in the past. If the Model 3 comes with a windshield that doesn’t benefit from additional tint, that’s news to me. I certainly would have rather not tinted the windshield given my current circumstances.

4) I’ve been driving a loaded used Model S (30k+ miles) as a loaner and I definately miss my Model 3. I didn’t realize jus how comfortable and fun to drive that car is until now.
  • edited March 2018
    I think I agree with @johnse, this might just be coincidence. Many people have reported severe phantom touch issues so it could have nothing to do with the tint.
  • edited May 2018
    I had my M3 tinted a few days ago including the front windshield. When I arrived, the charge port was opening and closing repeatedly which started sometime during the tinting process. It stopped when I put the car in drive, so I left with the issue hoping the air currents during driving would dry things out if there was a short with the sensor.

While driving, I noticed the screen had a phantom touch. At the same time, I noticed my recently purchased EAP had been enabled (maybe coincidence). I pulled over and rebooted the computer doing the double steering wheel button press. Following the reboot, the phantom touch went away as did the charge port issue.

After seeing the report above, I'm convinced the phantom touch and charge port issue were caused from excess water going down the back of the windshield and shorting something out under the dash.
  • edited May 2018
    Tinted mine. No issues.
  • edited May 2018
    I had my windshield tinted to 70% a few day ago. I had heard of the problem with water getting into the electronics in the dash, so I made very clear with the tinters that they need to prevent this. In fact, they brought it up first, said they were aware of this issue and that was part of the reason they charge more to do the windshield. They said they had done several Teslas before and were familiar with the problem and how to avoid it.

It worked out fine for me.

And it is a big improvement. I really noticed the hot sun beating in through the windshield before (I live in Arizona), but it is much better now with the tint.
  • @Daryl, where did you get your work done?
  • I believe the issue is with an open circuit board that is getting wet when tint is applied. This was previously reported & when I had my tint applied (not to windshield) I spoke to owner & mentioned I heard about problems tinting winsheild & he said yes it messed up another customers car & that he would not be doing windshield until they protect the cut unit board.
  • edited May 2018
    @jerry.fioramonti
    A Better Tint in Gilbert, Arizona
  • edited May 2018
    Just don't drive a school bus around Massachusetts that has tined windows....

https://whdh.com/news/dorchester-man-explains-why-he-jumped-on-top-of-school-bus-on-mass-pike/

I drive this road every day...
  • edited May 2018
    ..and as to the OP's issues. The Tinting did not cause the issues. It was the liquid that caused the issues.
  • edited May 2018
    Hi Boca Steve,

Did Tesla fix your Model 3 for free under warranty for your front windshield related problem?

4/8/18 Tesla Motor forum user posted
    "The Tampa service center has recommended not tinting the front windshield because water running down behind the dashboard during installation can fry the main computer. They have already had to replace two of them. "

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/rear-window-film-model-3.111296/page-3
  • edited May 2018
    Spoke to the 3M Crystalline installer today. He has done several Model 3s, but said that 3M has issued a notice to certified installers telling them not to install any more windshield tinting on model 3s due to the water intrusion risk on the computer.
  • edited May 2018
    I just requested a quote from a 3M Crystalline installer in atlanta and received this response, "Thanks for contacting us through the 3M website. At this time we are not offering window tint for the Tesla 3. This is due to the amount of time it takes to complete along with a design flaw in the placement of the CPU's below the A Pillars...these can easily get water in them during a windshield tint installation which is a $10,000 repair. Please keep us in mind for any other vehicle."
  • edited May 2018
    Now I worry about taking my car to a car hand wash. They often spray the wind shield from inside and start wiping down. What if some of that spray leaks behind/beneath dash?
  • edited May 2018
    I got the same from a local place-- they'll tint all windows except the front.

SC, sounds like a real risk. I always tell them not to clean the inside, mostly to avoid toxic windex chemicals in the air. I do it myself.
  • edited May 2018
    $10,000 repair?
    I had the windshield on my 3 tinted. It did fry the computer. Took it in for service. Tesla replaced the computer (no charge) and gave me a brand new 100D S loaner for the 5 days they had my 3
  • edited May 2018
    I had my windshield tinted with 3M Crystalline. The tinter brought up the concern about the computer before I did, saying that he had done Model 3s before and knew how to protect it from the water.

He did, and it turned out fine.
  • edited May 2018
    I got my windshield tinted with xpel prime. My installer had done a number of model 3's, and I had zero problems. Love the tint.
  • edited May 2018
    I realize many of those tinting the windshield are outside California, but with about 75% of all Model 3s in California, worth a note that it is illegal in California to tint more than 4" of the top of the windshield. With the windshield extending up overhead, I'm not sure where they consider the top.

The issue raised is films causing poorer visibility at night and reduced clarity all the time, and over time the possibility of delamination causing far worse clarity. Not sure tinting the windshield is that smart anywhere, but I haven't seen one to comment on if these are real issues or not, or if it is just bureaucracy gone wild.
  • edited June 2018
    I have had our Tesla tinted by Sunshine Control in Sterling and they are familiar with Tesla’s. Front windshield tinting is quite common although I have to point out that the way they did it is by cutting the tint on the outside of the windshield and used a gun to shape it to its contour. After that they laid a metal ridge along the dash inside and placed the tint on the inside of the vehicle. We have had no issues.
  • edited June 2018
    I am wondering if the issue is the static electricity generated from the process?
  • edited June 2018
    @ravincent I believe the issue is the liquid being used in the tinting process. If the installer is not careful about preventing liquid from getting into the dash, it can ruin the electronics as liquid runs down the windshield.
  • edited June 2018
    That’s why it’s good to read the responses on the thread.
  • edited June 2018
    @TeslaTap.com I think most windshield tint jobs use something like the Llumar Air 80. You really can't tell if there's a tint film.

Here's a video that shows what a tint shop should do about checking for legal limit.