Model X

If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will not transfer to the next owner.

124»

Comments

• edited December 2019
    @kmiyata
    If they've removed the ability of the second owner to transfer the FUSC, that would be a change to the original policy. I can't attest one way or the other to what the current policy is. What has been evident is that Tesla can remove FUSC if they're re-selling or they may not allow a third party retailer to transfer it. I've not heard of a private party running into that situation as third titles are not that common.
  • edited December 2019
    @bighorn thank youfor the info. I am a bit confused though. So any pre 17 FUSC will follow the car unless tesla or a dealership becomes an intermediary holder? It makes sense that if tesla bought it back and sold it used, they could change the policy...but can they still actually change it if it's sold through a 3rd party dealer? Specifically, as you mentioned if the ability to transfer the FUSC was removed for the second owner, "that would be a change to the original policy" So regardless of the manufacturing date/original policy tied to the car...Tesla can change the policy even if it doesn't come into their ownership?
  • edited December 2019
    @dean when you purchased yours from an outside dealer...who sent you the email?
  • edited December 2019
    @Kmiyata
    What I’ve gathered anecdotally is that a third party dealer may somehow lose the transferability. I have every confidence that I can sell my 2013 Model S with the FUSC intact. I haven’t read any fine print to know whether A second owner retains the right to pass it on. Perhaps it had been oversimplified to say that FUSC stayed with the car to reduce the confusion about whether it was grandfathered to the owner on subsequent purchases i.e. any new car purchased by the early adopter would also carry FUSC. That was a time limited promotion and it’s been rendered moot with the S/X since the new cars again carry FUSC, albeit non-transferable.
  • edited December 2019
    @bighorn Thanks again...you are right, i do know the referral/promotional time is over. It does seem the only way to do it is private party from the original owner. There have been stories on both sides of people who have purchased down the line directly (i.e. private deals but 3rd+ owners) that have had varying results. My understanding is that the original owner is the only one who can offer the real help...as some people say it was an added cost at time of purchase. I don't think (should you sell) the owner would retain the transferability but will still keep the FUSC. I guess my main question to you (assuming youre the original owner) is if you have any documentation of the policy...I can totally understand tesla removing that from cars they buy back...but should it be true that the original purchase stipulated FUSC that will transfer (a lot of people have stated that specification is no longer showing on their my tesla, but rather only free unlimited supercharging) I can't imagine how they could negate that for third party dealers
  • edited December 2019
    Once again, not a lawyer here. If I were I would deal directly with Tesla’s legal department (as their senior supervisor flippantly suggested at the end of a very long a frustrating call for us both). I have an undergrad economics degree, nothing else.

They said, on record “we treat third party resellers (ie dealers) the same as a private reseller.

So in answer to your question @kmiyata, yes they can remove it “at their discretion.” They repeated this many times so it was seared into my brain. They said it was somewhere on the website in their legal section but I’ve yet to find it.

It is, in fact, a software feature. So they can remove it over the air any time they want.

The minute you register with Tesla (in order to use the app to book service, in my case) is when you find out the truth. That is what was so upsetting to me, despite loving absolutely everything else.
  • edited January 31
    Can I use the previous owner's Tesla account and login to the App in the phone and add my Tesla account as secondary account. Then change the password on the previous owner's Tesla account. The previous owner will have no legal right on the vehicle since I have the official title from DMV. This way Tesla doesn't know the car was sold to me and I can keep the Unlimited Free Supercharging. Right?
  • edited January 31
    You might have an issue when it comes to service, not being the owner in Tesla's eyes.
  • edited April 6
    Hi all, relatively new 2017 MX owner here. I'm in the boat of folks who purchased via 3rd party dealer and lost free supercharging as a result of ownership transfer. I'm just curious if anyone has been able to have this restored? Not insinuating it's owed to me, i'm just curious if anyone has had success in this?
  • edited April 6
    Hi all, relatively new 2017 MX owner here. I'm in the boat of folks who purchased via 3rd party dealer and lost free supercharging as a result of ownership transfer. I'm just curious if anyone has been able to have this restored? Not insinuating it's owed to me, i'm just curious if anyone has had success in this?
  • edited May 8
    I have a 2014 S that I bought from Tesla as a used car in 2019. I was told by the....whatever they call the person who shows you how the car works and does the paperwork with you that my supercharging went with the car to the next owner. If I go into my account, I see this, "Free Unlimited Supercharging", and nothing else, which is different than described here, it doesn't mention anything about transfer or non transfer. So what happens when i sell it?
  • edited May 8
    It depends when you purchased the car.

Your 2014 S is under the FUSC for life umbrella - it will transfer if you sell it.

I purchased mine in 2018. I also have FUSC but it will not transfer over -- so the car is worth more to me than anyone else
  • Can someone tell me what the delivery process was with their vehicle? Did the carrier that was delivering it call you to let you know it was coming? Or did Tesla arrange that with you?? I’m still waiting and it was supposed to be here last week.
  • edited August 4
    If your Model s or x was put in to service before 2017 you should have free supercharging. The only exception really is if the car was resold by Tesla and they removed it once it was back in there possession. Tesla CPO use to be the way to go but Tesla is now trying buy and remove supercharging and resale as many as they can get there hands on. I have a refreshed 2016 Model S and I feel like its more valuable than a new 2020. Also lifetime free Premium Connectivity Package.
  • Hello again all!

Thank you to the many that reached out to me over the past 10 months.

I am resuming work on this, as I have some free time now from my day job.

As some on the message board have attempted to smear me, rest assured: I am a private citizen who saved up the money to own a Tesla, just like you all. I am NOT A LAWYER. And I only ask that Tesla own this intentional obfuscation, which will affect MANY owners and buyers in the near future (you too @bighorn! It’ll be a cold bucket of water on your head when you realize you aren’t transferring UFSC, thus lowering the resale of your S).

You can love your car but still have issues with the ethics of a company. We WILL hold power to account and prevent others from being victimized by Tesla’s ability to selectively withhold critical information (again, they admitted this on a recorded call!).

That being said, if you do not feel comfortable posting to this message board, please reach out to me directly:
    [email protected]

We are numbering in the double-digits.

I have never done or attempted to do anything of this nature. I am certainly intimidated by Tesla’s potential ability to defend themselves at any cost. So all legal advice/counsel/recommendations are welcome. Several of you have already provided a myriad of resources directly, for which I am immensely grateful. But we will prevail. It is only a matter of time.

Please stay safe and healthy out there. Do not be dismayed by the negativity or passive aggression on this board. And PLEASE continue to spread the word.

[email protected]
  • A friend of mine sold his Tesla X and gave up his Tesla account. The new owner changed email, password, personal information, credit card.. and the new owner still has FUSC.

if the new owner asked Tesla to register his/her car, then Tesla will remove FUSC.
  • Precisely.

Please have your friend reach out:

[email protected]