Model 3

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Dashcam always on install

edited November -1 in Model 3
I wanted an always on install of my dashcam as I have on my other two cars including a Model S. I installed a Blackvue recently on my Model 3 with a direct connection to the battery, again as in my other cars. There is a problem however with the Model 3 which now has monitoring of battery use and it detects the very small amount of power that the dashcam uses and pops up a "service needed" message. Service advises it's due to battery monitoring software. It will be fine if you use your webcam only while the screen is on but when screen turns off, an always on install will cause the alert. This makes the Model 3 currently the only car I'm aware of that won't let you run your webcam while the car is off. Anyone who wants this feature should take to the internet to say so. I'm hoping people will agree and ask Tesla to either allow such message to be dismissed or allow the monitoring feature to be turned off or at least adjusted to a level above a little webcam that comes with a 2A fuse indicating how little power it does use. With a car having a battery that can power my house for a week or two, I ought to be able to power my little webcam without a service light popping up.

Comments

• edited March 2018
    If you have a Blackvue system, you can get a 12 hour battery backup that doesn't use the car battery. Rather than having Tesla completely rework their system, I think this is a better option. Look up - Blackvue B-112 Battery on Amazon.
  • edited March 2018
    So if someone smacks your car during the other 12 hours of the day, whaddya do?
  • edited March 2018
    ?? You keep your car parked longer than 12 hours a day? You need a garage.

If you left your dash cam on longer than 12 hours at a time, your 12volt battery would discharge.

In case you don't understand, you drive it for an hour and it recharges the 12 hour battery.
  • edited March 2018
    What do I do if someone smacks the car when I'm parked? That's what insurance is for.
  • edited March 2018
    I'm personally fine with looking for a 12V switched source. Moving incidents are what dashcams are most useful for. Adding weight to one side or the other in the dueling witness game.
  • edited March 2018
    Yeah, but I wanna punish the fool who hit me. I also like winning in court. Plus if a zombie comes to my car when its parked I want to know what that screaming is outside.
  • edited November -1
    @nhirsch

I am confused with your description. Which is which please?

1) Model 3 would prompt an error message "Service Needed" but the 12V battery still functions and provides a continuous current to its battery positive and negative posts. The current is there but the error message is annoying.

2) Model 3 would prompt an error message "Service Needed" and the even though your dash cam is directly connected to the 12V battery battery positive and negative posts, the 12V current is cut off internally and there would be no current reaching the battery posts at all which of course would shut your dash cam down.
  • edited March 2018
    @Tâm No.1 is what happened. This is what service wrote. Problem is with the monitoring system of the 12v battery in the Model 3. Tesla needs to fix this to allow always on installs as has been working fine for 4 years in my Model S.

Concern: Customer states car needs service/contact Tesla service alert is on.
    Corrections: 12V Battery and Fuses General Diagnosis
    Inspected 12 volt battery assembly, found aftermarket camera's installed and connected
    directly to the battery. Due to the consumption monitoring capabilities of the model 3 this
    installation directly at the battery will lead to alerts and or loss of 12v. Replaced 12 volt
    battery as one time good will. Disconnected aftermarket power wires from 12v battery.

Concern: Remote diagnostics show that this vehicle's 12V battery is in need of an urgent
    replacement due to frequent overcharging.
    Pay Type: Warranty
    Corrections: Battery - Auxiliary - 12V
  • edited March 2018
    Better to use one of the lithium ion battery packs that only charge while the car is on I guess.

I was looking at this one:

https://www.amazon
    .com/dp/B06ZZ4W66R
  • edited March 2018
    I called Calibred Customs and they haven’t had any issues with the service message.
  • edited March 2018
    I'm hoping Tesla will sell us subscription service to get footage from the car's own cameras.
  • edited March 2018
    @Carl, jeez thats expensive. Maybe they would have one at the thrift store
  • edited March 2018
    Has anyone tried to connect to a 12v always on connection after the fuse block rather than bypassing the fuse block directly to the battery? It's possible the monitoring software allows a continuous drain, when it is connected this way. I'd try tapping into the security alarm power, which is likely always powered. In the S, you tap into the power in the microphone panel, that is an always on circuit. Now before you ask, I don't know where this is to tap into on the 3 :(
  • edited March 2018
    lilbean, maybe ccustoms figured out something like this? or something else just as cool?
  • edited March 2018
    Yes. I'd like to know where the OP had the cameras installed or if he did it himself.
  • edited March 2018
    @billlake2000

Yeah it's expensive but it should power the camera for 24 hours by itself.
  • edited March 2018
    @TeslaTap.com

Calibred Customs has done multiple installations on Model 3 and stated that unlike Roadster, S, and X, they cannot find any fuse box for Model 3 at all.

Ingineerix also agrees with that assessment that there is no fuses in Model 3:

• edited March 2018
    @nhirsch

Thanks for the clarification.

Additional continuous load of course could wear down the 12V battery prematurely but that's no difference as in case of Model S and X.

Tesla needs to be reasonable to owners by either activate its own brand dash cam or stop harassing owners with error message for correcting their lack of dash cam service.
  • edited March 2018
    @Tâm

An alternative is simply to wire the dash cam with its own battery that only charges when the car is on. Then you don't have to worry at all about the dash cam wearing out the 12V battery and causing warranty issues. I will spend the extra couple hundred to get a good battery and not worry about it.
  • edited March 2018
    @carl
    "An alternative is simply to wire the dash cam with its own battery that only charges when the car is on"

And that's how the battery you posted the link for works?

Still it would be nice to know if ccustoms has a method that solves this problem the OP alludes to.
  • edited March 2018
    @billlake2000

Yes, that's how you use the battery I linked.
  • edited November -1
    This may be an isolated problem. There doesn't seem to be any more complaints about this.
  • edited March 2018
    Dashcam should not draw more then 500mA in normal op mode and in park mode it should be considerably lower. Maybe you need to get another brand/model with parking mode and figure out how to hook it up to enable it.
  • edited May 2018
    I just finished my install/update of the dashcam in the Model 3. I like this functionality as dashcam is always on, the blackvue battery is accessible, it's charging at the full 9 amps, no wires are shown and I have additional functionality when car is on of 2 additional USBs, one 40watt 115VAC connector and two additional cigarette plug receptacles (courtesy of the coincidentally named "Tesla's Power Console".
    The link is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/11lf1rkiwu02vz6/3d update of the Dashcam install for a Tesla Model 3.pdf?dl=0

AND!: Solution to having car parked with Blackvue battery running low: Turn on Climate and while climate is on, battery will charge! Discovered this today!!!
  • edited May 2018
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing.