Model 3

Refund on deposit

Unfortunately I had to cancel my deposit as life has, as usual, not gone as I directed it to and I am purchasing a new family car sooner than expected. And well, I expected the Model 3 earlier as well, so both circumstances are not favorable to keep waiting. I cancelled, didn't receive anything else from Tesla other than the flash on the web page that my cancellation was being processed, now my account shows that I do not have a deposit on file, yet I have heard nothing about receiving my deposit refund. What's the deal, what's the status and where is my refund?

Comments

• jz2jz2
    edited March 2018
    You're most likely going to receive a check in the mail after a few weeks.
  • edited April 2018
    I tried to cancel my reservation about a month ago and they claim to have sent payment to my PayPal account which I do not recall providing to them. Needless to say, the funds are not in my PayPal.
  • edited May 2018
    I have the same experience. I cancelled my reservation around March 2018. I did not get any email nor my credit card has been issued a refund for the deposit.
  • edited May 2018
    Have they removed the cancelation link? How did you let them know you wanted to cancel?
  • edited May 2018
    I got a deposit back to a debit card and what looked like a one-off manually composed email from a Tesla rep. Took about a week to happen. It really made me feel like I was being serviced by a small company.
  • Same thing happened to me. I made the reservation back in April 2016. Over a month ago I cancelled my reservation and since then I have not heard from Tesla nor have I gotten my deposit back. I don't know how much longer I am supposed to wait. I contacted Tesla and they are not responding to my requests. Now all I can say is I'm so glad I cancelled my reservation. Can you imagine spending so much money on an electric vehicle but in return you get poor customer service?!
  • edited June 2018
    Has anyone else received a refund? If so, in what format? Paypal? Check?

I'm still waiting. It is June 3rd and I cancelled sometime in February. No refund. Paypal shows no money returned. I understand that Tesla...
    a) Needed the revenue to work towards the Model 3 production timelines
    b) Doesn't have the infrastructure setup for financial effidiencies

However, I need the money to pay for the tags of my new CPO model S that I purchased instead.
  • edited June 2018
    @durenk: “However, I need the money to pay for the tags of my new CPO model S that I purchased instead."
    To anyone else considering cancelling Model 3 reservation for the purpose of buying a Model S/X instead, Tesla allows you to apply your Model 3 deposit towards a purchase of their other cars. No need to cancel; just shift the money towards the new one.
  • edited June 2018
    Canceled mine on March 28th, same day I ordered a new S. Going to take delivery of my S next week and still no refund of the 1000 3 deposit. I emailed the rep and told them that I was going to have to escalate my claim on my end with legal council. She replied it would be refunded in 7 business days. I don’t know what Tesla is doing with these refunds but they are opening themselves up for a suit on something that is really simple. Issue timely refunds. I asked them to apply that 1000 to my S but they have not done it and all my paperwork is finished. They can’t aply it now. That was Friday the 1st of June. I’m gonna give them 7 business days and then call them back if I don’t have it by then. There are lawyers out there ready to pounce on this given the opportunity.
  • edited June 2018
    Durenk:

Yes, a $1,000 credit applied to my credit card three weeks after cancellation. I cancelled in early May 2017. I decided to buy a MX instead. It arrived a week sooner than the delivery window I was given.
  • edited June 2018
    Just got refund today finally.
  • edited June 2018
    Just got refund today finally.
  • edited June 2018
    What number do I call to follow up on my deposit refund? It's been 3 weeks and I have not received any communique from Tesla on this - not even a courtesy email.
  • edited June 2018
    I canceled my reservation yesterday, Sunday 06/10/2018. On the same page, I gave the info that was asked for to have the refund deposited to a bank account within 1-3 days. WoW, the refund is in my account today Monday 06/11/2018. NO PROBLEMS WITH REFUND HERE...!!!
  • edited June 2018
    You were lucky, I requested a refund over 2 months ago to deposit to my bank account. Still nothing.
  • edited June 2018
    I see two different transaction here: a reservation and a deposit. From what I understand, a reservation is refundable but a deposit is not.

This is the text that is displayed right before your place a deposit on your credit card:
    "A $2,500 payment is required to place your order. Your total deposit will be non-refundable."

I have read some cases where the deposit was refunded though.
  • edited June 2018
    Guess I am lucky. I canceled my $1K deposit (made online during the reveal) around noon on 6/12/2018, got the money put on my debit card sometime today, 6/14/2018.
    Hope all of you get things sorted out.
  • edited June 2018
    I just requested a refund today. I understand others have encountered delays and hassles. If anyone knows how to expedite this process, please let me know! I would like to receive my $1,000 by 7/1. TD
  • I cancelled mine back in March and now it's the end of June and still nothing for me.
  • edited June 2018
    I did not cancel a M3 reservation, but did cancel a Powerwall reservation. Prompt refund to the same account reserved from was the result.
  • edited June 2018
    I also cancelled and two days later happened to check my same credit card and it was there. I think they had refunded just a day later.
  • edited June 2018
    I want to cancel my order , please let me know if you need more information thx
  • edited June 2018
    @biddleusa: "I want to cancel my order , please let me know if you need more information thx"
    Sure, no problem. I’ll just need your first child’s middle name, and your favorite color.

Just kidding; nobody here can help you. This is an enthusiast forum where regular people come to talk about Tesla. You will have to contact Tesla if you want a refund.
  • edited July 2018
    I need to cancel my Tesla order.
  • edited July 2018
    Their website doesn't work when requesting for a refund. I had to call them and waited 2 freaking hours until someone picked up. Then you'll receive an email from them asking to respond back telling them you want a refund. You'll need to provide them with your reservation number (mine was something like RN10....6), your full name, mailing address and a reason why you want a refund (multiple choice provided on email). After that, you'll need to wait 60-90 days for the check. Tesla customer service is getting worst!