Energy Products

How long is the wait for Tesla Powerwall 2?

I am currently in Michigan. I already have a solar array on my home. Given that we have net metering in our state, I was mostly looking to have a Powerwall installed for energy backup. We had a 2 week power outage this past March. I ordered a Powerwall in March of 2017 and really haven't heard much at all from Tesla. I called in the summer of 2017 and they said there were no certified installers yet in Michigan but they were working on it. I received an email from Tesla in fall of 2017 that said they were going to begin installations in area in 4-8 weeks and someone would be contacting me. Still no one has reached out to me. I inquired at the Tesla store where they are advertising to sell Tesla Powerwalls and the salespeople had no clue. Anyone have a similar story?

Comments

• edited April 2018
    I live in South Carolina and reserved a Powerwall 2 in February of 2017 and have not been contacted by Tesla at all, not even an email. This seems to be a common story, depending on where you live.
  • edited April 2018
    8-10 months is what solar city told me. Easier to get information on these when you have solar panels ordered along with the power walls. I'm also in NY and i'm assuming they have installed these in NY already
  • edited April 2018
    I ordered in October 2016 and have heard nothing.
  • edited April 2018
    I just had a power wall 2 installed with my solar about 2 weeks ago in San Diego. The rep told me that installs with solar are getting priority. However it is also dependent on having certified installers in the area.
  • edited November -1
    I hate to chime in with my story, but I have been trying to get Powerwall installation for 3 years now, starting with the PW1 and then waiting for more than 2 years for PW2 in Edmonds, WA. I finally got them to come out an give me a site assessment in February, but they are telling me that they have no installers in my area, and can't give me a timeline on when I can get my installation. They have a serious problem in ramping up their installation efforts in certain parts of U.S. They seem unwilling to train local solar installers up here, who are interested in getting trained. I have been complaining bitterly to Tesla-Energy, but so far have not had much success. I have a 13.2 kWh solar system installed in 2012, and want to install 2 PW's to complement that system.
  • I'm in the process if installing a 4.3KW system on my home in Wisconsin and was told by Tesla that I could maybe get a powerwall sometime mid 2019!
  • edited April 2018
    I live in San Diego and reserved two PowerWalls in October 2017. Just had my home inspection, plan is completed, and purchase agreement is ready to sign. With permits required to be obtained and waitlist Tesla is promising early summer all installed and operational.
  • edited April 2018
    I am happy to report that after much complaining to Tesla-Energy, where I requested that someone from management respond to my concerns, they have finally listened, and I expect to get my PW2 installation soon. They are working on the design/plan, which I hope to see in next couple of weeks, and then proceed to installation. It has been a long arduous process, but hopefully this nightmare will end soon.

I am interested in communicating with anyone who has their PW2 installations, and how things are working out, especially how balancing the HPW2 with home electric/demand versus EV charging. We have MS and M3 and are averaging 6.5 kWh/day for both cars relative to EV charging.
  • edited April 2018
    I placed my order for one Powerwall in mid March 2018. I received an email from Tesla energy on March 26th stating a technician will come to my house on Friday April 2018. I will let everyone know what happened.
  • edited April 2018
    By the way I live in Maryland.
  • edited April 2018
    8-10 months is what solar city told me...
    spanish dictionary https://spanishto-english.com/spanish-dictionary
  • edited April 2018
    I re read my earlier post. I apologize for the missing date. My post should have read “The date was Friday, April 20, 2018.”

I would like to share just a few quick comments for the initial site survey:

- My appointment was scheduled at 7:00am. The tech was outside my home at 6:50am. He got started right away (I wish my cable company could just arrive within the “2 hour window”, but I digress!).

- The tech took photos of three possible install sites. I knew beforehand that the install must be on an unfinished wall and the room must be as well. I decided that the install will be in the garage. By doing it this way, the wiring has a much easier run to my panel, verses other options which may cost more.

- Like most of the above comments, there will be a wait for the PW from anywhere to 4 to 8 months. The tech told me that Tesla sent more PW’s to Puerto Rico.

Good luck!
  • edited April 2018
    I just signed the PW2 contract yesterday, $15,255 total cost for 2 PW2 installations and gateway. Hopefully, after getting approval from my electricity provider (Snohomish PUD) the installation will take place soon thereafter. I am very excited to get this done.
  • edited May 2018
    I recently got an e-mail from Tesla stating that Tesla Energy is currently not servicing my area (Michigan) and they would let me know when Powerwalls would be available in my area. No timetable though. My solar installer stated they were trying to get certified to install Powerwalls but were not getting anywhere with the company. Tesla sometimes makes it hard to give them my money.
  • edited November -1
    I got my utility provider approval earlier this week, and am currently scheduled to have my 2-PW2's installed on 18 June. Can't wait to get this done. My solar provider (A&R Solar) will be doing the PW2 installation. I live in Edmonds, WA and will be the first PW2 installation in Washington State.

@bmzweig, I went through a similar exchange with Tesla-Energy, and finally elevated my concerns to management as I was not getting any positive action. My solar installer and several other solar installers in WA have been trying to get certified for several years now, and just recently went through the training and are PW2 dealers now. I think they are trying to ramp up and reduce the bottlenecks you are experiencing and that I experienced as there is a lot of demand for their batteries. I think their efforts in Australia and Puerto Rico have reduced the availability of PW2 batteries. They initially told me there were no batteries available, but they located two for my installation. Good luck and try and elevate your concerns to management like I did.
  • edited May 2018
    Tesla-David, thanks for the info. I will make an attempt to elevate my concerns. You posted a quote of $15,255 for cost of two powerwalls. Does the 30% federal tax credit apply for powerwalls? If so would that make your final installation total cost around $10,000?
  • edited November -1
    Yes @bmzweig, as I understand it we will be eligible for the 30 percent Federal tax credit.
  • edited May 2018
    @Tesla-David looks like we're on approximately the same timeline (signed agreement 4/16, authorization from utility this past monday) but I don't have an installation date yet. i just want mine before the end of the summer. They told me september timeframe when i started this process in mid-march.

30% ITC applies to the powerwall installation only if you have solar or are getting solar installed at the same time. this is also the reason that the powerwalls can *only* be charged from the solar panels to make the credit easier to claim. 100% solar charged, 100% of the tax credit. i wonder if when the ITC eventually goes away for good, if tesla will allow us to keep the batteries topped off from the grid (like when a hurricane or blizzard are coming).
  • edited May 2018
    @ripatriot, hope you get your installation soon. I raised holy hell with Tesla-Energy management, and once I got their attention, things moved fairly quickly for me. The bottleneck initially was lack of installers (solved that problem, as our solar installer will be doing the install), and then lack of PW2's. They were finally able to locate two PW2, and I now have firm install date of 18 June. I will post back after the installation is done and let everyone know how it goes. It has been one long process for me, close to 3 years as I started with the PW1, which is now discontinued.
  • edited May 2018
    In Northern CA
    Signed contract and ordered PV system + 1 PW2 November 2017
    Installed April 2018
    The delay was due to "Tesla sending PW2s to Puerto Rico" to help them rebuild after the hurricanes.

Try contacting other Solar vendors? One of the "other" companies quoted me PW2 battery with their PV system. Might still be an issue of finding "certified installers" in your area though.
  • edited May 2018
    Getting a Tesla solar system + powerwalls installed, started the whole process the beginning of May 2018. Talked to someone on the Powerwall end earlier this week and said the wait is currently pushed out to early 2019. Solar is moving super fast, however.
  • edited May 2018
    I have all the permits ready and just waiting for installation, they said Q4 at the earliest. Model 3 reservations have nothing on PW2 reservations lol.
  • edited May 2018
    Yes, the availability of PW2's is certainly a bottleneck right now, and articles like this reinforce that the demand will be continuous as they attempt to fill the orders in Australia, U.S. and Puerto Rico. This article highlights how intense the demand is in Australia, with $800 million contract to install solar/PW2's on 50,000 homes.

https://www.ecowatch.com/tesla-australia-power-plant-2572035489.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=a1acc2a7ce-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-a1acc2a7ce-85954177
  • edited May 2018
    I ordered a PowerWall for my home in Washington Sate in early April of 2018, but never received a follow up call. I checked in on the order yesterday, and was informed that Washington State is considered "out of territory" at the moment, and all orders for the state are on hold. Didn't seem to stop them from taking the deposit, but evidently, I'll be notified once Washington State is a service area once again and be back in queue.
  • edited May 2018
    @briancapps, I live in Edmonds, WA, and will have 2 PW2's installed at our home on June 18, so your contact at Tesla-Energy is uninformed. Tesla-Energy is ramping up in Washington State. My wife and I will be attending Tesla-Energy seminar tomorrow at 6 p.m. at Bellevue Square Tesla. For me I have been trying to get PW installation for almost 3 years, so your April 2018 order is nothing special IMHO. I finally demanded that a manager call me back as I was getting nowhere with the Tesla-Energy rep I was talking to. That call back got action and finally my installation is on the horizon. There is a currently a shortage of Powerwall-2 batteries, primarily due to Australia and Puerto Rico demand, but they were able to find two for our installation, and our solar installer (A&R) will be doing the install, as they are PW2 dealers now, and could do your installation in the future. You need to check back with Tesla-Energy and get your misinformation clarified, as it is not correct.