Model S

Model S extended warranty decision time!

edited November -1 in Model S
I just finally drove my September, 2014 Model S 85 over the 50,000 miles new car warranty.
There is a one month or 1,000 miles grace period to decide about purchasing an extended warranty
2 and 4 year periods are offered.
Since I did not purchase the extended warranty at the outset, a 4-year 'Extended Service Agreement' is $4,750
I hear that they now insist that regular servicing occurs (was not true for the new car warranty but I bought the service plan anyway)
So another 4 -year plan would be ... (475 + 725 + 475 + 850 = 2525) $2,525
The total would be then $7,275
That's a very big chunk of change. Also there is a $200 deductible per 'issue' (not visit).
The car has been fairly reliable so far. After some initial minor 'teething trouble ' issues the only major things that needed fixing were the pano roof 'cartridge' and a motor replacement.
I have a rear-wheel drive model (dual motor was not out then) and this was in the first batch of cars released with the auto-pilot hardware. It has the smart suspension.

I am interested in hearing the thoughts and experiences of people who've had to make this same decision. How did it turn out? (whatever you decided).
Are there significant holes in this 'Extended Service Agreement' ?

Thanks Much
-- Mike Berrow

Comments

• edited April 2018
    No warranty. I had a single $400 repair during the warranty period (50k to 100k miles). YMMV.
  • edited November -1
    @pberrow, I’m in the same situation September 2014 model s85 still on the fence, had a few issues, drive unit replaced after year one, Tesla proactively replaced it after diagnosing a problem with the unit. Battery changed to 90kw due to moisture which caused it to shut down this happened 18 months ago had to wait for a year to get the new pack.
    So far everything is working well still have a few months to decide
  • edited November -1
    The warranty is now up to $4750!!!! Ya, don't get it. Even it was still at $4K. Also, unless they changed it back, the deductible is per warranty visit.

Here is the very simple reason for not getting the warranty. $4,750, despite what people think, does not cover ANYTHING until you have surpassed $4,750, plus deductibles, worth of repairs. The cost of ANY warranty on any item is you paying for that much worth of repairs, in advance.

As tes-s pointed, he only had $400 of post warranty costs. I personally have had a lot more than that, but, when factoring in the required deductibles, I would have loss money on my initial warranty cost, had I bought it.
  • edited November -1
    @jordanrichard - You make a great point! You really don't get any coverage until you get have at least $4,950 in problems. I will be facing this question in a year. I need to keep this perspective in mind.
  • edited April 2018
    I didn't get the extended warranty on my 2013 S85. I was told it was not available for purchase in WA state when I reached 50K miles. My total expense for out-of-warranty repairs (including tax) is approximately $4500. A broken scroll wheel, charger under the rear seat had to be replaced, water ingress/fogging requiring replacement of one taillight and the chrome strip in the back, DC-DC converter failing. Oh, my screen also has bubbles now for a few years with a small amount of leakage of the adhesive that stopped. Waiting for the new MCU to be available for replacement.
  • edited April 2018
    Still love the car. Have over 100K miles on it. Plan to keep it for another 3-5 years, depending on how soon Model Y comes out. We are waiting for our Model 3.
  • edited April 2018
    Dr_gko, the reason or possible reason it wasn’t available to you is that in some states, extended warranties are considered insurance and if the company is not licensed to sell insurance in the state.........
  • edited November -1
    Same here with a September 2014 AP close to 50K miles. Very nervous about not having the warranty renewed as repairs can be costly.
  • edited April 2018
    I did not buy it when mine expired a few months ago. You take your chances but on average you'll lose money for purchasing any kind of warranty or insurance.
  • edited April 2018
    We did not buy it when our 4 years was up March 12. Will pay as we go.
  • edited November -1
    For the second time, ever, I agree with carlk.

Are you one to buy travel insurance before you go on a trip? If so, then you may want to buy it. However, insurance has a negative expected value for the purchaser, as the insurer needs to make a profit from offering it. They have calculated the average loss, and added a premium to that to determine what they charge you. If you are willing and able to accept the variance (i.e., future repair costs), don't buy the insurance/extended warranty.
  • edited April 2018
    Put the money aside and self insure.
  • edited November -1
    I just got through my initial 4 year 50K miles a couple months ago and had already decided not to get the extended. It is like pre-paying for $5,000 worth of repairs that may or may not even come up. I can pay for my own repairs, so I'd rather just hold off and see if I get to keep some of that money in my pocket in the next four years.
  • edited November -1
    Great advice. My P85Dl turns 4 in December. Only issue I have had is a replaced charge port. I will forgo the extended warranty, place the money in an account and see what is left in four years. The only time I purchased a vehicle extended warranty was for a 1999 M-B ML320....it paid for itself three times.
  • edited November -1
    I have 110k miles on 2013 MS. Did not get extended service. Had about $400 of repair costs (12 V battery and steering shims)

I have had several drive units replaced, but of course they're under a separate 8 year unlimited milage warranty so they were all done at no cost. Last one was for a Hum at 70 mph and they first replaced the wheel bearings that were quoted to cost $1,000, but that didn't solve the problem so they changed the drive unit at no cost and so didn't charge for the new wheel bearings.

I agree with Rocky. I'd put the money aside and self insure yourself.
  • edited April 2018
    Is the OP saying he went 4 years and 50,000 without service of any kind?

Is this normal for Tesla's?
  • edited April 2018
    @jfemd.va.us- nice! how many miles do you have and curious what your battery range says at 100% now
  • edited April 2018
    Self insure, pay as you go.

Current deal does not pencil out.

One thing I think Tesla should offer is a diffferent warranty product - major event coverage.

The idea would be similar to catastrophic loss health coverage.

Priced less, at say, 1,500.

You pay for all repairs, unless and until they exceed 5,000 iober 48 months. Then you pay 20% of any cost over 5K.

This would provide the stop-loss that most people desire, but at an affordable price.

A more useful product than current offering.
  • edited April 2018
    iober = over
  • edited April 2018
    @ST70.....about 38K miles; 100% range now 250 miles (257 when new)
  • edited April 2018
    OP here. No, I bought the initial 4-year service plan. I have had the car serviced every 12,500 miles as thry recommend. I was just noting the the new car warranty did not *require* me to do that. Not having them service it does not void the initial new car warranty. That flexibility does not apply to the extended plan.
  • edited November -1
    I like the ‘major event coverage’ idea. That would be a good option to have.
  • edited November 2018
    I too thought I did not need an extended warranty. Wrong! My June 2014 Model S 35,000 miles has had significant repair issues--two door handle assemblies replaced during warranty. Charging cable/plug shorted and required $400 electrician work plus new charging cable and plug just after warranty expired. Now, 4 months post warranty expiration, something called a "Master Charger" failed. The repair estimate is $3100. I've talked them into allowing me to buy the extended warranty.for $4750. I thought my Tesla would be a low maintenance expense vehicle. I was wrong. I'll bet replacement of the other 2 door assemblies should they fail as the previous ones did, is also expensive. To make matters worse, Tesla does not have the Master Charger in stock and there is no ETA. That happened also with the charger plug that connects to the charging cable, i.e. out of stock and no ETA. Ended up taking over one month (no exaggeration) to obtain the new plug, during which time the only way to charge my car was at a supercharger. One thing to keep in mind is that when something breaks, you are completely at Tesla's mercy--no such thing as an independent mechanic; if there were, Tesla would not sell him parts anyway, as I learned when I had my longtime body shop repair some dings and scrapes. Just sayin'. More power to Tesla true believers who have so far dodged the bullet. May your Teslas continue to operate flawlessly. I kept my last car--a BMW--for 14 years before Tesla captured my imagination and I bought a new car. Never had an expensive repair after my very reasonably priced aftermarket extended warranty expired. It appears there is no way my Model S will have nearly that longevity.
  • edited November 2018
    Wow, shorty is really nervous.

And pay $4750 instead of $3100. That makes sense.
  • edited November 2018
    2013 85S 64,000miles

Got the extended warranty. Glad I did. It’s just about paid for itself. Likely more issues will arise before the warranty expires.