Model S

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

For the amount of money we are paying, we should be getting

Comments

• edited November -1
    @tork

++1 The best statement!
  • GDHGDH
    edited November -1
    Anyway, I like this thread - points out how worked up someone can be about a great car that is missing the one feature they can't live without. I wonder about all the prior cars they bought if they complained so much about the missing features too? My suspicion is they haven't had a car with anything like all the features in the Model-S.

All the features in the Model-S?....my volvo has more features that the Model-S, except for wifi and the huge screen, which I do not need as that is what my iphone is for. My volvo comes with floor mats, carpeted and weather. has a working sunroof and a feature to defog the windows and it didn't cost 85K. yes the tesla is awesome but now they need to focus on other features than get up and go.
  • edited November -1
    GDH is gluton for punishment...
  • edited November -1
    I'm not critical of Tesla for Model S not having features they never advertised. But, they are six months plus into deliveries and the WiFi, flash memory storage and charge timers are still not functional. Yes, I know they are coming in a future software update, and yes, I would have still bought the car if I had known this in advance,... but again, "For the amount of money we are paying, we should be getting" what they advertised when the car is delivered.
  • edited November -1
    Tork - Can't speak for anyone else, but I don't care about luxury accoutrements. I am offering criticisms because Tesla is SO CLOSE to having nailed it, that missing the little things is frustrating to see. We let them know because we want them to succeed. Simply to be part of something great.

www.teslamodels.wordpress.com
  • edited November -1
    Today I took a naysayer Indian engineer friend for a drive to an appointment. I asked him to name his favorite singer from India while I typed it into Slacker search. Slacker played his signer and many similar vocalists from India. At the end of our trip he was wondering if his new Lexus could do the same. He asked me how much it costs to use the superchargers--nothing, how much gas will the Lexus use on a trip to San Francisco I replied. At the end of our drive he was a convert. Tesla may not have all the features of Mercedes or be perfect, but the car is a total blast.
  • edited November -1
    dborn;
    minus how much egregious Aus. import duty? (Not that Aus. makes any cars of its own ...)

tork;
    +1
    But... one quibble. Its a <a href="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=goose&page=5">goose pedal #33</a>.

For the delivery and service comments: Tesla was the best on the planet at those -- at low volumes. But it hasn't scaled. Not surprising, multiplying volume per month by about 30 over the course of two or three months. That rate of personnel expansion is almost beyond comprehension or manageability. If TM is now at or near its target rate for, say, the rest of the year, it may catch up. But even that will be a Hurculean task.
  • edited November -1
    PS
    Imagine doubling your company's staff ... 5x in the course of one quarter. Then take a stiff one. You'll need it.
  • edited November -1
    @brianh - Aus does make cars - GM makes as does Ford. Our tax component is 5% then another 10% followed by another approx 5%. Add shipping and insurance. Still well North of 100000!!
  • edited November -1
    Also, because our market is small, most imports come fully loaded with minimal options.
  • edited November -1
    Import duties quoted on the Roadster were on the order of 100%, IIRC. Those you quoted sound like other taxes.
  • edited November -1
    I agree with Tork, all to often those whining for X feature just sound like entitled twat donkeys to me. Some do have legitamite concerns, but most are just bellyaching.
  • edited November -1
    The roadster was double the price in Australia compared to the USA. $210000.00 Aussie dollars! One contributor was the luxury car tax of 33% applied after the value of 70000 odd dollars. The remainder? God knows, but I assume Tesla profiteering on the international market.
  • edited November -1
    <i> Vawlkus | January 9, 2013

I agree with Tork, all to often those whining for X feature just sound like entitled twat donkeys to me. Some do have legitamite concerns, but most are just bellyaching.<i>

Well I think you're WAY off base and naive to think that Lexus, BMW, etc. are leaving these features off their inevitable competitors to the Model S. The great majority of "twat donkeys" are following through with their purchase regardless, but they are using this forum to express their desire to have these features added if it can be done via a software update. Many user requests have been incorporated this way already. It is a democratic and useful process.

Adding these features into the Model S and future models is in TM's best interest, not just us "twat donkeys".

BTW - it's "too" and "legitimate".
  • edited November -1
    give me a break - the OP is a cool-aid drinker. There are many out there. I'm not and probably a better example of the target demo than most - mercedes driver for 13 years, able to purchase pretty much any car I want (a few decades and lots of hard work behind that statement)and I loved the idea of the advantages of electric from not sending more money to people who want to kill us to cleaner emissions, to less spending needed on military, etc. Guess what - even with all that, I still wanted a car that would compare favorably to what I would consider as a replacement new car - and that means a certain amount of style, luxury, and fit and finish - as well as the proper balance of economy and performance.

Model S came pretty close to being as good as the competition ex the power train - but I would not have bought the car at the price if it was not electric. I'm a happy Signature owner for sure - but there have been some shortcomings that need and deserve to be addressed. Am I upset that these shortcomings exist? not to the point of feeling I got taken in any way. Do I think at the price that Tesla should be able to deliver a better vehicle and better experience? absolutely. That doesn't make me a whiner, it makes me want the business to succeed. But anyone who thinks that all "complaints" are the naggings of spoiled children does not understand the concepts of the value of money, or the value of customer feedback to a business.

Tesla has already listened to many - to their credit and benefit. Can they do better? Sure. And how do they find out how they can do better? By listening to people criticize constructively - and sometimes even just the gripes. Any business owner will tell you that listening to and addressing complaints is a big part of success and anyone who doesn't understand that has never run a sucessful business.
  • edited November -1
    dborn;
    Then you're full of it. ALL the extra, aside from freight, is your taxes. Ask GB if you don't believe me. Your insinuations and accusations are offensive.
  • edited November -1
    Tork - Sure I agree with you, and the more money I might have the more I would tend to agree. However, to play devil's advocate, there is the relative sense of value for money. I opine the more $ one may have the more elastic the definition of value may be. A multimillionaire with the consciousness expressed by most on these forums would totally agree with you. A person of considerably less means likely would not agree. One person's $100+K for an new car is another person's life savings and for that the Tesla right now is not a reality. We 'rich' need to lead the way for this to truly be, as Tork says, "Here it is... the car of the future..."
  • edited November -1
    @GAS
    How is that relevant? I stated I agree with Tork, and added my opinion. How is saying that people are following through on purchases pertinent?

People are complaining about features they KNEW they weren't going to get, some threatening to cancel their orders. That to me is immature temper tantrums like my young nephews throw. I'm sorry if you don't like that, but it's still how I perceive such complaints, and still my opinion of them.

@Your BTW
    Tell Apple that, I'm sick and tired of trying to teach their autocorrect proper spelling.
  • edited November -1
    I share a lot of these concerns, and started a related but private thread called "On One Hand/On the Other Hand."

I do think it's all going to work out great....

Richard
  • edited November -1
    FOR THE AMOUNT OF MONEY WE ARE PAYING, WE SHOULD BE GETTING...........

a car which compares/competes/outshines on ALL FRONTS with similar priced ICE Luxury cars.

That includes 'luxury gizmo's', like parking sensors,etc and Service/Reliability
  • edited November -1
    tork, well said. +1 for me. My S is coming in Feb. and although I didn't spend 100K (60KW for less than 80K). I gave up my order of BMW 5-series and then the Lexus hybrid for the S and still wonder if I made the right choice. The "Car of the Future" and Car of the Year" always encourage me to stay put. I read a lot of Tesla and Tesla Motor Club forums lately and wonder why people are debating about Center Console, vanity mirrors and the like or the lack of. Some people said this is Elon's toy car but I wonder does he listen to customers' complaints and their feedback? I do hope so. I know one thing, as soon as my S delivered, I'll be one of the advocates for Tesla and I hope Elon is listening and I can assure him there are many S owners out there and willing to be Tesla's advocate for years to come. So Elon, please listen to your customers, this is a premium sedan, do not neglect all the basic features and technology of a premium sedan and keep improving what we have. Many of us are also your stock holders and wish Tesla a successful company for many years to come.
  • edited November -1
    FOR THE AMOUNT OF MONEY WE ARE PAYING, WE SHOULD BE GETTING...........

Exactly what we are getting
  • edited November -1
    "For the amount of money we are paying we should be getting" (at a minimum) a certain level of service, regardless of expectations of what the car itself has on it.

I own a Nissan. When I take the car in for service at the Nissan dealer, I get a certain level of service and it is within my expectations. I also own a Lexus. I can tell you with certainty that anyone would be able to tell the difference between the level of service you get at the Lexus place and the level you get at the Nissan dealer.

TM needs to be sure that their customers all get "lexus" treatment at every contact, not "nissan" treatment. While I understand the difficulty in providing that level of service with new employees, it is still of paramount importance that they deliver on that expectation.
  • edited November -1
    @ vouteb +1. @Edneff +1. @BrianH. Pull your head in, this is a business not a fan club. There is something called value for money. My reasons for buying? Exactly the same as Charged_Up. Hate supporting my enemies. Every product sold in Australia includes tax in its price by law. The price you see is what you pay. Quite fair to compare one car to another. That is all this is, a car with a different propulsion system.
  • edited November -1
    I wonder if the same people who constantly complain about TM would feel the same way after handing over $100K for a sub-standard ICE MB, BMW, etc? Somehow I think they wouldn't and if they did it would be secretly