Model 3

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

2018.21.9 is BIG update to autopilot

edited November -1 in Model 3
this was a HUGE improvement in autopilot! Those of you trying it on the highway may think this update didn’t change much but take it on a twisty turny country road and you will be surprised! It Now takes sharp, almost 90 degree turns (as long as it’s set to a reasonable speed such as the speed limit) . It even brakes if needed through the sharp bends. I still keep my hands on the wheel and my foot ready on the brake as I don’t trust it fully, but this is a BIG update in my opinion. Even on the not so sharp turns everything feels much more silky smooth!

Comments

• edited June 2018
    ...and you shouldn’t ever trust it. They indicate that you should be prepared to take over at any time.

James
  • edited June 2018
    Twisty country road??? Are their lane markings?

I have not been brave enough to use AP on any street without lane markings.
  • edited June 2018
    <b>Driver assist</b> not "AutoPilot" - Really wish Tesla would just change the name.

Great to hear though. Looking forward to trying it out.

Someday I'll be able to sleep while my car drives me to work
  • edited June 2018
    I'm still on version 2018.18.13 I really hope they push out the update to me soon!!
  • SOSO
    edited November -1
    Really wish people would get of the name complaint. Even if it was named “driver assist”, people would get overly confident and use it improperly. Some people are going to be complacent regardless.
  • edited June 2018
    Agree on the name Autopilot is the brand name. If you think the *name* Autopilot is going to lull you into complacency so that you crash, you should not order a Tesla with the feature, and if you have the feature you should absolutely not turn it on for any reason. You know your own mind better than other people, so it's your call. Choose wisely.
  • edited June 2018
    @SO

You're most likely right - human nature - however, we wouldn't have to constantly hear the media claiming "another Tesla accident!! Was AP enabled?!??! ZOMG!"

Anyway - looking forward to testing this "AP" out real soon :-)
  • edited June 2018
    Sounds much closer to FSD. Glad to hear about this update.
  • edited June 2018
    Much has been made of the Autopilot name misleading people. I find that strange. IMO Autopilot is a great name for it. Autopilots on aircraft are not robot pilots. Someone is always at the controls. Aircraft AP cannot taxi or takeoff. The most sophisticated versions can land the plane but most do not. They are great for when you get to altitude and are cruising but they are not generally relied upon in heavy traffic approach and landing, in hight turbulence or bad weather, etc. In all cases, the pilot needs to be in the cockpit, paying attention, and in control.

The problem is not the name Autopilot - which is a very good analogy - but that people pretend that it can operate fully autonomously. And this is not a misunderstanding either. How many people who abused Tesla AP would ever fly an airline where the pilot and co-pilot are in the back serving drinks because "Hey, the plane has autopilot"? My guess: zero. So why on earth do the equivalent on their car?
  • edited June 2018
    Subaru has eyesight does that mean I can close my eyes while driving? sorry autopilot is a fine name. The driver is always responsible to understand the limitation of their vehicles. Someday maybe we will have an uninformed driver proof vehicle, maybe.
  • edited June 2018
    I agree with you TexasBob. However , I think that normal people do not realize how an actual autopilot functions on an airplane. This is where the problem lies.
    There is quite a bit of fine tuning needed. Maybe I’m just paranoid but I still get more stressed driving with the auto pilot on. In stop and go traffic however it’s amazing!
  • edited June 2018
    While everyone is debating on whether the name autopilot is an appropriate name or not...just went for a drive and found auto park works flawlessly and much more smoothly and quickly and confidently. Gives me the option to auto park EVERY time on BOTH parallel and perpendicular parking opportunities as long as there are two cars to park between. This is HUGE.
    Why is everyone so bogged down with the boring trees when there is a beautiful forest to behold??
  • edited June 2018
    @aslammazad - "just went for a drive and found auto park works flawlessly"
    Good, that's going to help my wife >;-D
  • edited June 2018
    Can you auto park while not in the car? At least for perpendicular spaces where the space is too tight to open the door.

Like a reverse summon feature.

James
  • edited June 2018
    One user in another post stated the performance and acceleration is back to before the "they slowed my car down" days. Can anyone confirm that or was that whole event a mind trick?
  • SOSO
    edited June 2018
    jjgunn | June 9, 2018
    @SO

You're most likely right - human nature - however, we wouldn't have to constantly hear the media claiming "another Tesla accident!! Was AP enabled?!??! ZOMG!"

Oh yes we WOULD still hear it from the press!!! Even if it was named “don’t trust this with your life and always be attentive”, the media would latch on to this because people want to read about Tesla. Perhaps the media couldn’t cling to the name as an issue, but they’d find some other way to make news.
  • edited November -1
    To me auto park on the Model 3 is uselless. I have never used it. I get the “P” in traffic when stopped at lights but have never seen it when I have a parking opportunity
  • edited June 2018
    @sccrendo - umm...I just said this is fixed in this latest update. Are you just trying to be negative for what???
  • edited June 2018
    Actually they fixed auto park back in 2018.18 release.
  • edited June 2018
    My autopilot shows only the lane I'm in even with the latest update. When I'm on US1 with 3 lanes, it doesn't show the other lanes and when I turn on signal it doesn't change lanes. I've only had the car a week so am I doing something wrong?
  • edited June 2018
    Is US1 a limited access freeway there, or just a highway? It matters. I've driven on some wide highways that weren't really freeways with limited access on and off ramps, and it would not change lanes for me. Once I got on a true freeway, it has worked fine.
  • edited June 2018
    With 2018.18.13, I started to see the lane line next to the lane I am in. This was on US 101. I haven't tried lane changes yet. I hear it is a little flaky. Perhaps it is better in this new release.
  • edited June 2018
    I have 2018..18.13 and Auto Park hasn't worked for quite some time. The last time it was available was back in February.
  • edited June 2018
    Autopark worked for me last Thursday night. I didn't get the update to 21.9 until last night. Today, I couldn't get it to come on. Autopilot seems to be nagging more often today although the rate of the nags slowed down as the day went on
  • edited June 2018
    Boy i see so many people getting 21.9. I still haven’t received the update. I’m currently on 18.13