Model X

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Looking to buy a Model X but have some questions..

edited November -1 in Model X
Hey guys!

Looking to buy a Tesla Model X and I’m real close to pulling the trigger. I just have some questions hopefully you guys can clear up.

For those who own Tesla and live in winter seasons for part of the year as I do (MI), how have they been holding up? Any issues with the falcon wing doors?

75D or 100D? I work from home so my daily commute is very minimal and travel no more then 100 miles on the weekend. But things might change when I get my Model X cause I’d be traveling more since paying no gas sounds good as hell to me, lol. I might be tempted to make 1-2 big travels to visit other states and national parks if I get my X. For those with 75d, how has traveling been to you guys? Have you guys visited any cool places? Is there anything you regret or wish you changed? And those with 100D, how has your experience been? Paying an extra $16k is a lot for the upgrade from 75D to 100D, that’s almost half the cost of the model 3. It's not that I can't afford the gap difference it's just extra money I could be using on air traveling for several years.

Is autopilot worth getting? To those who didn’t get it, what was your reasoning?

22” or 20” rims? The 22” looks way better but I’ve heard that it reduces your range significantly and you feel bumps on the road more. To those who have 22” or have experience with both, is it true? Would you get the 20’s if you could start over again? As I wrote above, I don’t travel much but would like to when I get my Tesla, so maybe 22” won’t be a good idea even though I want it badly :/

When you guys had issues with the car, how was the service?

Also I'm still debating on color choices and would like to get as much perspective as possible so please post pics of your Model X!

Comments

• edited July 2018
    I'll comment on autopilot - If you are expecting something you can set and go to sleep, this isn't what you are looking for. I use it every chance I get on my AP1 MS (MX ordered in June - 75D fwiw). I love it, wouldn't live without it, but in my opinion it's more like a student driver. If anything, you have to pay MORE attn, not less. So why do I love it? Because I value the backup, the 'extra pair of eyes on the road.' I'll admit it, sometimes my mind wanders. And, absolutely delightful in stop-and-go (or even just heavy, slow) freeway traffic.
  • edited November -1
    Falcon wing doors have been reliable thus far.
    I could not justify the additional $16K for the 100D. I'm sure will benefit some people, but for me the 75D was more than adequate; as far as performance, you cannot tell the difference between the 2 models.
    Autopilot . . . yes get it; that's part of the reason why you're getting a Tesla. After using AP for over 2 years on my MS, I gotta have it.
    20" rims make the ride more comfortable and the tires don't wear as fast.
    Service has always been A+
  • edited November -1
    This section of a article I wrote may help with selecting a paint color: https://teslatap.com/articles/paint-and-coatings/#picking_a_color
  • edited July 2018
    If you travel a lot get the 100D. We don't so we got the 75D. If you have cash sitting around get the 100D but it doesn't sound like that‘s the case so I suggest buying what fits your 90% solution. Your biggest constraint will be traveling in winter with a 75D up north. We're in Charleston and have taken it to Raleigh, Boone & Atlanta with no issues, but winter travel is definitely different due to the higher energy consumption. We saved the $16K and it helped us to be able to purchase a MS 6 months later for my wife so I don't regret the 75D purchase.

20” wheels
    EAP is nice and would be really missed on long trips (didn't buy FSD yet)
  • edited July 2018
    @teslatap this is amazing!
  • edited July 2018
    @packpike yeah that's my only concern is during winter time and battery degrading down the line..

if I dont do the 17k upgrade, that could be put into a new model 3 in the future.
  • edited July 2018
    I got a 75D just two months ago and I live it. We do not do any long trips so do not need the extra battery and also did not get the autopilot. Again we are doing short distance only. But I we are super thrilled, an incredible vehicle which we really enjoy driving. We are looking for keeping the car for many many years, IE ten years or so but had no need for high spec. We live 5min from a super charger which is great. Within 30min it is fully charged and this will last for a month for us. Service is great. Came in time, cost us nothing.
  • edited July 2018
    Did you guys get 4 year warranty?
  • edited July 2018
    Just picked mine up today so not much from personal insight
    But everyone I have talked to said buy the biggest battery you can afford
    I live in Colorado and the cold will effect your range
    We also have mountains to contend with ....
  • edited July 2018
    I just went with the factory warranty. You can add on the extended warranty anytime before the 4 year factory warrantee expires.
  • edited November -1
    I picked up my X 100D last September. I had originally ordered the 75D and am sure I would have been happy with it too. But during the two day change window after placing the order, range anxiety got the better of me and I upgraded to the 100. No regrets. I live in the Northeast and like you, have a very short daily commute. Since getting the Tesla last September, I've put 22k miles in and seek any opportunity to drive, and if possible to road trips. Longest to date was Boston-->Custer SD-->Denver -->Boston. I think the 75D would have done well, but was glad to have the extra range to give options on where to stop.

I never really considered the 22" wheels. I was coming from a BMW X5 that I had first purchased with high performance tires. I lived with them for a few years, having to replace them every 10-12k miles (very soft compound) and the ride was definitely harder. They were fun on corners, but beyond that, I don't miss them. I would definitely suggest the 20" wheels for the added range over the 22"s, and the less frequent replacement.

I went with Silver Metallic - love the color, although I personally also love the Midnight Blue and Midnight Silver Metallic as well.

Good luck!
  • edited July 2018
    If you plan to travel in the winter along routes that have limited access to superchargers, then the 100D is the right choice. Keep in mind that a 200 mile range in the winter really means that you can only venture 100 miles from your home unless you can charge somewhere along the route. Where I live, its over 200 miles to the supercharger network along I-80 and I would not be able to make that distance during the winter in a 75d.

Its a good idea to look at the supercharger network map. You can use the tesla trip planning tool

https://www.tesla.com/trips

to see if a 75d would work for your scenario. Just for fun, try planning a trip from Jackson Wyoming USA to Thermopolis Wyoming USA in a Model X 100D. Now try the same trip with the Model X 75D. Its always good for a few laughs.
  • edited July 2018
    @oldxcskiguy are you saying range is cut by 50% during winter time?
  • edited July 2018
    @MacDemarcoTesla. Our 100D has a range of around 200 miles driving at 65 mph when the temperature is less than 10 degrees F. That means that I can venture 100 miles from home (200 miles round trip) if there is no place to charge along the route. On one leg of trip last winter in extreme conditions, between the Laramie Wyoming supercharger and the Rawlins Wyoming Supercharger, my consumption was 543 wh per mile over the 98.7 mile leg. At that consumption, the maximum range of our 100D is 175 miles.

• edited July 2018
    @MacDemarcoTesla range is a difficult thing to nail down. It is highly dependent on both external (temperature, elevation change, wind) factors AND internal ones (speed, acceleration, heating, etc). You will see people here that swear that they get less than half the rated range.... and people who regularly get more. Neither group of people is "wrong". As a counter point, I just got back from an ~500 mile round trip from Raleigh to Asheville and averaged nearly 20% better than rated range. To be fair, it was summer and there is NO WAY that I could have done that at 10F..... Just illustrating how much range can vary both due to the environment & the driving style.

I bought the 100D for the peace of mind... and I am happy that I did. In fact, if they offered something bigger, I'd have bought it too. My two cents is that range is the best and first thing that I'd spend more for. I've got the 20" wheels and am happy with them. I did (and would) absolutely get AutoPilot. It makes long trips MUCH nicer and easier. Even though I watch it like a hawk (with hands on the wheel and feet at the ready) it greatly reduces driver fatigue.
  • edited July 2018
    100d not only gives you more range it charges faster too at the Superchargers. Also that 16k extra is perhaps 200 per month if you are financing. You get better tesla interest rates and hopefully better resale value when you sell. Less range anxiety and fewer required stops during long trips. For 90-95% of my driving 75d would do just fine but I switched my deposit to 100D after my 75D was almost ready. Also EAP will cause lot less fatigue during long drives and stop and go traffic.
  • edited July 2018
    I subscribe to the mindset of more range is better. If they offered a 200 kw battery pack I would have purchased it.

Everyone is different.
  • edited July 2018
    Get the 100, it is worth the extra expense. 20 inch tires last longer, provide more effecient power consumption and will pull more if you decide to trailer. Autopilot is a definite yes but you might want to hold on the self driving option because it is probably way out there and you can add it later. Make sure you check the current parameters for extended service and warranty when you take delivery. They change and might not be available later but you are usually grandfathered based on delivery date (the prices are not likely to go down however and you will pay the rate in effect when you decide not when you took delivery.) I think the extended warranty is needed due tomthe complexity of the X.
  • edited July 2018
    A few questions before I respond to this one. How many people in your family? Do you live in SoCal? Are you planning to pull a trailer?
    If your answers are 4 or less, yes, and no, then based on what you have already said I say get a 75d with 22" wheels. I know it may not be a popular opinion, but that's how we live and we are happy. We are retired so most trips are back and forth to the church where we volunteer. A 90% charge will easily last us three days. When we travel, chargers are plentiful. The 22" wheels do affect the range but we still have enough to get to a charger. I don't scrimp on the speed either. I go the flow of traffic or my comfort level, which ever feels safer. We took a trip to Colorado from LA a few weeks back and had a great time! the MX is the ultimate road trip vehicle. the first time you go through the mountains and look up through the trees with your panoramic windshield , you will wonder why no one thought of it earlier. The MX is rock solid in a 50 mph cross wind, but juice up an extra 20% just to be sure to get where you are going. I love the look and feel of the 22" wheels but I am careful with potholes at speed as you should be with any high performance wheel combination. It is true that the 75d takes longer to charge but for our life style, that is a bonus. I hate having to jump up to unplug and move the car just as my food arrives.We did not get the auto pilot,(My wife has enough anxiety letting me drive,) but wish we got the enhanced cruise control because it takes all the stress out of sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. I also agree that the extended warrantee is a good idea.
  • edited July 2018
    Just got back with my first test drive with the P100D White Pearl on 22” but it was on 75D mode because realisticaly I’m not going to buy a P100D lol. Here are my thoughts:

Let’s start with the pros:

- Autopilot is the shit!!
    - Love the highseating
    - Overal specious
    - Felt like I could drive anywhere
    - Felt really safe

Cons:
    - It felt bulky and heavy
    - Felt lots of bumps on the highway. Did not like this at all.

The most disapointing thing I noticed...
    The sound system :(((((( I was so heartbroke. The sound is all in the front and I don’t like that.

We returned the car to have a quick drive in the S. Did not like it at all.

So we left. And I was a lil disapointed. I really wanted to like the X completely. I was like “this isn’t right”. So I went back and ask if I could try the 75D with the 20” rims I saw they had parked outside. Right when I got on the road I was like “Yes!! This is it. It’s those damn rims that made a huge difference!” also the 75D weighs less and was more nimble. It was so much more smoother.

They let us sit in the 3 and my parents liked it way more then the S. It had more room and best of all.. THE SOUND SYSTEM. It was amazing.

So now I’m on the fense of thinking about getting a 3 even though I haven’t ride it yet lol I really wanna be team MX but the 3 is way cheaper and has more miles.

Anyone own both a 3 and an X? Which one do you like more?
  • edited July 2018
    I’ve thought about it. I think I'll still go with the X. It would be $85k after federal state tax or I could either get the 3 for $50k. I think it’s worth upgrading the 3 to the X which cost only $15k more.

I feel pressured cause everyone keeps saying to buy 100D and even tho I want to, I'm saving 17k from my pocket and could use that to buy a newer model, 5 years down the road.
  • edited July 2018
    @bonhari03 Mainly 3, sometimes 4 people in my family. I live in Michigan, and no trailer. I work from home so my daily commute to groceries are minimal and take no more then 100 miles on the weekend to go outta town for shopping
  • edited July 2018
    @MacDemarcoTesla - I think you will be happy with the MX75D. I have been happy with mine for 10 months now.

As for the sound system - I am surprised you dont like the MX sound system. Did you: 1. adjust the fade/balance to your preference AND 2. adjust the strength of the various sound frequencies to your preference?

I am a very picky audiophile (mainly jazz) and find the standard MX sound system to be great! and i think the shape and size of the cabin helps it. I did a test drive of a Model 3 a week ago and brought along my USB stick so i could directly compare it to my MX. While the M3 system is quite nice, it didnt seem to have quite the range and depth of the MX (even when i adjusted all the settings to optimize them to try to get a sound simliar to my MX). So, i would suggest you take your favorite sound source with you to try the MX again. And, you could even try it in the M3 as well. That way you will reallyl know if you prefer the MX or M3 sound system for your type of music and your ears. By the way, the folks at the Tesla store didnt realize the USB drive in the M3 could be used for a USB stick. i had to educate them!

You will have to use a test drive car for these tests. They dont let you play the sound system very loud at all in the showroom cars! but, at least you dont have to actually drive the test drive car. As for speaker locations, TeslaTap wrote a good artice a ways back on the MX and MS: https://teslatap.com/articles/audio-systems-for-the-tesla-model-s-and-model-x/
  • edited July 2018
    @wilber I think I will have to play with the sound system some more. thanks for the advice!
  • edited July 2018
    Did you guys get any maintenance plan? if so what kind did you guys get?