Model 3

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Tesla gave my Vin# to someone else

I reserved my car RN108678999 and paid for it in full $79,500 was assigned a Vin# 5YJ3E1EB3JF063305 was given a pickup date of Saturday 9/29/18 the car was never delivered. my del. asst. said that my Vin was “given” away by someone higher up than her managers. How is that possible once I pay for it I own that Vin#. It’s no different that if I had gone to the dealership bought a car paid for it came back to pick it up and found out that they had sold it to someone else. Now Tesla says that there is nothing that they can do about it apparently whoever they sold my car to has registered it. And they can not find another one a red fully loaded performance model 3 I find that hard to believe at 5k a week. Now I am left with no car and no money and in a week I have to make a car payment for a car that I don’t even have

Comments

• edited October 2018
    One reason I went and got a cashier's check today. My VIN disappeared a week & a half ago, when m y original delivery date was rescheduled. Now I have a date of next Tuesday the 9th, and all is set to go. I am using the cashier's check rather than ACH online so I pay for the car when I can see it and touch it. Not that I'm a distrustful person, but I still want to keep everyone honest. By the way, I ended up with the same VIN that disappeared the first time. I was told that the first VIN was going somewhere else by the person who called me to re-schedule also.

I'm sure you'll get your car, but it sounds like there may be some frustration along the way. I would push for a loaner.
  • edited October 2018
    @gballant4570, same thing happened to me, my VIN disappeared on 9/28 and reappeared on the morning of 10/1. I never paid for it for the same reason. I want to see the product I am buying before handing over the cash. I took delivery yesterday.

Apparently what happened, at least for me, is that they did not think they could get my car to me in time to count the same in 3Q18 so they tried to see if they could sell it to someone who had the same configuration. When they couldn't find a buyer who could purchase it by 9/30, they gave me my VIN back. I got lucky.
  • edited October 2018
    I like the loaner idea... do you have another vehicle still? I guess if you have two cars, it isn't that big of a deal. I mean tesla will get you your car. I read the fine print of the contract we all signed when submitting the 2500 and yea Tesla has a lot of options when it comes to delivery of your vehicle. Why I changed a flight during my window so they wouldn't sell it to someone else.
  • edited October 2018
    My Vin never reappeared I was told by Tesla that Vin is now registered to someone else. MY car is gone we do own another vehicle but we sold the most reliable (newest) 2011 because of the larger resale value to put towards the Tesla, our other car is 15yrs old. We wanted the Tesla for travel my wife is ill and we drive 120mi for her treatment. When I was assigned a pickup date we sold the other car.
    I want to know how they can sell my car that I already paid for? That Vin should have not been available.
    I live over 300 mi. From the delivery center so everything has to be done over the internet or phone.
    I have copies of all the paperwork and emails and everything was finalized including the pickup date the car just never showed.
    Sooo disappointed and mad but what do you do when you are 300 mi. away.
  • edited October 2018
    The did the same thing to me. They rescheduled and gave a different VIN. Good news is they rescheduled for this coming Wednesday, so fingers crossed it doesn’t get cancelled again!
  • edited October 2018
    Same thing happened to me, except it was the IDA's suggestion to push my 28th delivery date to the 30th because the car delivery was running late. Really sucks...
  • edited October 2018
    Happened to me twice. I got a VIN, then the VIN disappeared before my scheduled delivery date. I had a new VIN, showed up at my scheduled delivery time only to find out the car was 1000 miles away. (I know this because the car even showed up in my Tesla app). I was told it would be here in a few days, but my second VIN disappeared from my account, and now I am still waiting.

I haven't paid anything yet (other than my $3500 deposit), but hopefully my car will come soon!
  • edited October 2018
    Help me understand why anyone pays for a car before you receive it? There is no way I would plunk down a full payment before I see it in person, inspect it, etc. Absolutely no way.
  • edited October 2018
    I hate to say this but Tesla did wrong some customers. I am suprise there is not a class action lawsuit going on now. I too is doing Cashier's Check to play it safe.
  • vb1vb1
    edited October 2018
    Tesla owes all the cancelled vin's an explanation.
    That's third world tactics if some senior manager reassigned a vin!!
  • edited October 2018
    @Quienten, while I understand the frustration, a class action lawsuit isn't going to help. If anything, it would make it worse. They are going through growing pains. It will all get sorted out. Everyone just needs to relax a little.
  • edited October 2018
    As for the payment since I am over 300 mi. from the delivery center in Chicago so they were going to ship directly to my house (it’s called Tesla Direct) from Chicago, payment was required prior to shipping. But it never arrived in Chicago, when I called the delivery center in Chicago it took 2 days before I was finally able to get them to admit that it wasn’t on the property, I then called my Delivery Assistant and she told me that my Vin had been “given” away by someone in higher up than her managers, I then called Tesla headquarters and spoke to someone and after doing some digging told me that my car had already been given to someone else.
    How can they sell a car that’s been paid for??
    Just think if I had driven the 300 miles to pick it up last Saturday and then have to drive 300 mi home with no car.
  • edited October 2018
    WOW! that's my vin# I was amazed I got my 3rd Tesla so fast...thanks Tesla this the best car yet!
  • edited October 2018
    Had the same...VIN assigned...VIN disappeared...my interpretation: It benefits Tesla, not the customer.
  • edited October 2018
    This is outrageous, I’m so sorry.
  • edited October 2018
    I am not financing, so I can do it this way. If you are financing, that adds a some complications. Hence the demand for a loaner - you are paying the loan, but have no ride. I also may have more cars perhaps than most - I am trading in one of three, so if things don't go right I'm not in a bind. One reason I'm willing to take a back seat for other customers who might not have as much flexibility.
  • edited October 2018
    If you paid for the car, you should ask for a loaner Tesla until they deliver the car you paid for.
  • edited October 2018
    My credit union had Tesla provide a letter of guaranty, LOG. This letter states that Tesla will send the Title in my name with stated VIN to the lien holder Credit Union. This then makes it harder for Tesla to do what happend to the OP.
  • edited October 2018
    Oh, also, I'm in Texas and we have to fully fund the car before they will ship from CA.
  • CSTCST
    edited October 2018
    @ST70 - playing with fire buddy! ;)
  • edited October 2018
    I am 0-2 on having a VIN and signed MVPA but no car to show for it
  • edited October 2018
    Update: Tesla issued me a new Vin today, my DA says that it is fresh of the line except the new Vin is actually about 50 cars newer than my old Vin.
    “We have a new VIN! It will be brand new, fresh off the line. The VIN is 5YJ3E1EB3JF063xxx. Right now the ETA is looking to be late October”
    At this point I don’t care, the sooner the better.
  • edited October 2018
    They did anything physically possible to deliver as many cars as they could in a short amount of time at the end of last quarter. Unfortunately some things weren't very pretty, but they got the job done.

Now they're back to a more sane pace and both the cars and the delivery experience will be the better for it.
  • vb1vb1
    edited October 2018
    Email works at Tesla!

So I got a reply email with a vin. Delivery date 4th week of October.
    I hope they continue to email and Elon can restrain his tweets a tiny bit.
  • edited October 2018
    Same thing for me. I paid 20% to Tesla, insured the car with the VIN number given initially. Got my loan from my Credit Union, but the car was assigned to somebody else with no new VIN showing up yet.