Model 3

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Tesla Installed Mismatched Glass in my Car and I Am Angry

edited November -1 in Model 3
I just got by car back from service a few hours ago. The latest in a long list of things that have broken in my car is the rear window defroster. Tesla determined that they needed to replace the rear window glass in my car car to fix it.

When I went to pick up my car the first thing I noticed is that the new glass installed does not match the rest of the glass in my car. When I gave the car to them the top and rear glass had sort of a bluish tint. Now the replaced glass has a much different black or dark grey color. Here are some pictures. Top glass is on the left and the rear glass is on the right:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjL07ap25p51hSQqEJSH6_UkNTqL

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjL07ap25p51hSWESM-kmMKAzR5W

If you look closely you can see that even the non-transparent border areas of the glass are different shades on the two panels.

The service manager tells me that they have only one part number for this part, they have no control over what Tesla sends them, they are all like this now and I just need to live with it as there is nothing they can do.

I say it looks terrible and I don't want it like this. No joke as soon as I pulled into my driveway my neighbors who were way over on their properly called over to ask whether it was a new car and commented that they could see that the glass looked different. And this was at nighttime.

I asked the service manager if they can just put my old glass back on as I'd rather live with a non-working rear-window defroster than have it look like this but he said they can't.

I am not happy. I am especially not happy because this was my 6th service visit already for a total of more than 5 weeks in service and I'm already going to have to go in for service #7 because the seal around one of the glass panels is coming up and they need to replace it.

I did notice that a newer car in their showroom also had different tint on the top and back glass but the difference is not nearly as obvious as it is on my car because the top piece is darker so it matches the back piece much better.

My questions to all of you are: Would you accept this? Does any of your cars look like this? What do you think I should do?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited November 2018
    Yawn.
  • edited November 2018
    It is weird how these things happen to some people. Fate?
  • edited November 2018
    I have accepted it. Reddish tint on front roof panel and a bluish tint on the back glass panel. Build date July 2018.

I do not notice any difference in the car on a sunny day.

There have been previous threads about this issue in the past. I consensus is that both panels still have IR and UV protection
  • edited November 2018
    @RES IPSA

Do your panels look as different as mine do? It's quite a striking contrast.
  • edited November 2018
    I have never looked at my glass roof panels in that bright of artificial light like in your pics. But the contrast is very noticeable if you pour some water on the roof glass. The front looks red and the back looks blue. Earlier build models have red glass on the entire roof
  • edited November 2018
    So it's patriotic. Cool!
  • edited November 2018
    The best I have a is mag flashlight. The front glass does have the look of your car in the pic, but not a severe. The rear panel looks darker on my car like your car does in the pic. I would guess our cars are the same considering your car in the pic is under very bright light (much brighter than my mag flashlight
  • edited November 2018
    Wow I cannot believe you find this acceptable!
  • edited November 2018
    Angry at whom? Pictures don’t help much, but how is this any different than having window tint on the rear window and not the roof, which I imagine people are routinely doing.
  • edited November 2018
    @RES IPSA

It's also very noticeable under very little light. My neighbors noticed it from their property when I pulled up and my drive / lawn lights were not on. Just a street light further up the court.
  • edited November -1
    I would prefer to have all the roof glass match, but the car did not come that way. All Tesla said in advertising the car to me was that the pano roof has UV and IR protection. And apparently it does even though sometimes in May or June 2018 they started to install two different colored roof glass pieces

And I think most people tint the back roof panel because they do not like the look of how the glass isn't tinted towards the trunk (they want the roof to all be the same dark color).
  • edited November 2018
    @Bighorn

I am angry because I gave them a car where the glass all matched and they returned the car looking much worse in my opinion.
  • edited November 2018
    @RES IPSA:
    "I would prefer to have all the roof glass match, but the car did not come that way."

Mine _did_ come that way and I want the car returned to me looking as good as when I gave it to them. I really don't think that's being unreasonable...
  • edited November 2018
    Mine is not that noticeable in low light. if your new roof is, then maybe Tesla has started to install a new (third version) of the roof glass. I do not know... I would just make sure it has IR and UV protection.

You can always ask Tesla if they pay the $150-$250 to tint that front roof piece...
  • edited November 2018
    Angry at whom was my query.
  • edited November 2018
    I never said you were unreasonable... Did Tesla tell you the glass would look different before they replaced it? If not, Tesla should have, at the very least, told you that the new glass will have a different look than the original glass that came with the car.
  • edited November 2018
    Carl is angry at Tesla (I think)
  • edited November -1
    Carl... Get your car fix for all of the hardware and other mechanical defects.

Some of the cosmetic defects (or the cosmetic look of the car... like the roof glass) are just things you are going to have to live with. I have just accepted the car will never look as perfect as I want it to (i.e. mismatched pearl white front bumper). Just love driving the car as best you can.
  • edited November 2018
    I tinted all my windows, blacked out the chrome, changed the wheels and tires, ceramic coated and clearbra'd. My neighbors didn't notice a thing. ;-)
  • edited November 2018
    why so much sarcasm?
    why not just don't respond if you got nothing to offer to help?
  • edited November 2018
    @Carl .. Agree, every reason to be frustrated !! A new car with different shades of glass on roof and rear just doesn't seem right, at least in my opinion. It's the Tesla SC not any other body shop, so they should know what parts are being sent by the factory to replace.
  • edited November 2018
    No surprised. Tesla changes stuff all the time under the same part number. Most notably, paint codes. I bought some parts for one of my car, same year, same paint code, build date one month apart. Nothing matched. One piece was significantly lighter than the next.

Tesla apparently tinkers with things, but doesn't bother to change the part numbers or codes to match when they make a change. Not a good thing.
  • edited November 2018
    @Carl Thompson: looks cool! Most people pay extra for two-tone color schemes
  • edited November 2018
    @Carl, can you tint one portion of the glass to match the other?
  • edited November 2018
    Carl,

I had a protective film installed on the top of the roof (both halves) of my P3D+ to protect the glass from surfboard incidentals like sand, rocks, wax, roofrack straps, etc. in the future when roofrack becomes available. You could do something similar by tuning the hue for either half (or both) until you get an even appearance. Detailing shops can do wonders with protective film these days. Take good pics (daylight, before and after) and send them along with the bill to your Tesla SC asking them to right their wrong.