Model S

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

The T turns Six...Any Signs of Aging?

Comments

• edited December 2019
    Well, when the Mobile tech reaches out to you, you can tell them that you tried canceling, but their system is broken. As the number of such situations come up, Tesla will realize their tech’s are wasting time traveling to fix cars that are ok.
  • edited December 2019
    Stuck handles that aren’t associated with the motor running sometimes get unstuck. The ranger will contact you before venturing forth, so it’s not a concern.
  • edited December 2019
    Thanks, @jordanrichard, and @Bighorn!

It is funny, but when I scheduled fifth annual style service this year, the app showed the early Sunday appointment, but when I arrived there, they didn't have us in the system.

But they accommodated us with a loaner and service bulletins were all taken care of.

Although we love technology, both of us also appreciate doing business face to face, or occasionally by phone. Old school and new!
  • edited December 2019
    Picked up a mint used 2013 S85 pearl white with 21's and EVERY option. Looks great and just hit 120,923 miles and got an error message the other day and now it's in service to replace the main battery. THANK GOD for the warranty! One question though...I logged in online to my tesla account to review my car and under the warranty tab it said my battery and drive unit coverage was 8 years,120,000 miles...I thought it was UNLIMITED miles?? Regardless they are changing it as I got a loaner and am set up nicely but I could've sworn it was UNLIMITED miles...
  • edited December 2019
    The 60s had a mileage limit. Not the 85s.
  • edited December 2019
    Could be a policy change though just like removing FUSC from some.
  • edited December 2019
    I started a thread on this warranty issue. So far someone with a 2017 100D saw the change as well. I have a S 85. Now with that said, if you go to the Warranty section in your TEsla Account, scroll down to page 5, it states in black and white that S and X’s are 8 years no mileage limitation mentioned. The exception to that is the 2015 and older S60s.

Under the page to the current Model S, the warranty also simply says 8 years for battery and DU. No mileage mentioned.
  • edited December 2019
    Checked app this am, appointment for tomorrow still appeared. No one reached out to us over the past three days.

Checked app just now, Tesla finally took note of our email messages and repeated attempts to cancel, and the appointment is now gone from the app.

Door handles all present and correct!
  • edited December 2019
    The T is in the shop at Kearny Mesa, low coolant alerts appearing again, 6 weeks after service for same complaint in Palm Springs. Service advisor says they need to drop the main battery to change out a $17 hose that feeds the main traction battery coolant. Repair may cost $500. Have red S75 D with 281212 VIN, which we are calling Red Beauty.
  • edited December 2019
    Sbeggs, did they attempt to fix it at that visit 6 weeks ago?
  • edited December 2019
    @jordanrichard,
    Yes, only they didn't go deeper than just changing the coolant, testing for leak at reservoir, purging any air bubbles. Strangely, four times in the past four years, we have had alerts and gone for service, but only topped off coolant or purged coolant loop.

The advisor said they had to drop the battery to access the main battery coolant hose. I.e., it's not visible. We asked them to save the old hose for curiosity.

We know it's not a false sensor reading, by the amount of blue fluid on the garage flooring.

Reminded us of “you have to pass the bill to see what's in it”.
  • edited December 2019
    Hmmm. Car mechanics 101 for checking coolant leaks no evident when the coolant system is static is to pressurize it and see where it was pissing out from.

I once had a power steering leak on a Mercedes that for the life of me I couldn’t figure out from where. I knew the lower pressure line was “Sweating” fluid, but no dripping. Then while showing our daughter how to park a car, as she was backing up, with wheels turned, I notice a huge puddle. So, with the car in park, I had her turn the wheel while I watched the hose and there was the strong stream of fluid pissing out. It was coming unnoticed crack/split in the hose which only happened when there was pressure in the hose from the turning.

So, as I said, it’s mechanics 101 dealing with fluid leaks is to pressurize or cause press, to see where it is come from if it is not obvious by mere drips.
  • edited December 2019
    @jordanrichard,
    You are right, but I am not sure how the techs determined it was that hose. Palm Springs did pressurize the system after purging it...all was fine for six weeks until fluid had gone down enough, then the alerts came back in force.
  • edited December 2019
    I thought the Model S was designed to quickly swap battery packs. Why $500 ? Must be more than just a battery drop.
  • edited December 2019
    cfishkin01, they fast swap out of the battery packs was before they made the modifications to protect the front vertical part of the battery. There is a titanium shield and an aluminum push bar that have to now be removed first.
  • edited January 2020
    @jordanrichard,
    Yes. Our car was made the first week the Ti shield was standard equipment at the factory build.
  • edited January 2020
    Sbeggs, what month was your car made again? My car was made starting March 12th, finishing on the 15th.
  • edited January 2020
  • edited January 2020
    @jordanrichard,
    T was made in the days leading up to delivery in San Diego on March 12, 2014.
  • edited January 2020
    More than one week and counting. No communication from shop yesterday. Hope the coolant hose comes in today.

Enterprise rental 75D doesn't seem to have traffic colors available on nav map, only Supercharger sites. No autopilot or TACC?
  • edited January 2020
    Battery drops take hours in a service center.
  • edited January 2020
    @Bighorn,
    Just heard from service. Both main coolant hose and coolant rapid mate are being replaced. Now up to $732. Wrote letter to service manager re several previous low coolant service visits that failed to resolve issue.
  • edited January 2020
    T is home, after 10 days in the Kearny Mesa San Diego shop. $557 to replace:
    a) hose, battery dcdc to heater (1028546-00-8) $17, special order
    b) assembly, coolant cx vehicle side, mdls (1003117-00-1) $120, in stock at shop

The warranty is for one year. We have the old parts and are inspecting them.

I think the cost of annual maintenance and extra out of pocket items is now about $500/year for the nearly 6 years we've owned this car, including the 4 prepaid service visits.

They took into account the $175 we paid two months ago to replace coolant, as the diagnosis didn't go deep enough. Hope it stays fixed!
  • edited January 2020
    When I got in the T yesterday to drive home, I noticed that the shelf where we stow our driving glasses was moved out and down, with metal clips showing. The service advisor secured it back up into place, saying that area is used by technicians to run diagnostics on the car.
  • edited January 2020
    Anyone else experience the low coolant alert resulting in the need to change out the main coolant hose?

In over six years of reading the forums, I can't remember any similar concern, although my memory is not that sharp.