General

COVID-19 discussion thread for all

Comments

• Do the case studies of stores factor in some people wearing the masks below their nose, adjusting them, talking to the person at the meat counter or cash register? You dont touch shopping carts, exchange products with one-another or touch things on the shelves that other people could have touched in a church to the same degree.

We can go all day with this. To what degree are you going to decide if something is too dangerous? You're not going to be able to leave your house. If you follow the guidelines you should be allowed to operate. If not, then its not about following the guidelines.
  • I did accurately represent what you think about religious people and their churches, did I not RedShift?
  • I've seen your posts for years RedShift. I know what you think about those who believe in a supreme being. Have you changed your mind?
  • Clearly its not about following the guidelines.
  • > @MitchP85D said:
    > I've seen your posts for years RedShift. I know what you think about those who believe in a supreme being. Have you changed your mind?

When that belief overrides common sense and public health, it is indeed less important in that specific context to ensure the public good.

When people cite the teachings of God/Jesus/Allah/Buddah (notably, all written by fallible men) as the reason to hate (abortion, gay marriage, Black people in general, and not wearing masks to protect others), sorry. That's objectively stupid.
  • Religion is made up tool to rule the sheep. Believing in something is ok with me but you don't need church and their bs to believe in any form of God.
  • > @WW_icefree said:
    > Religion is made up tool to rule the sheep. Believing in something is ok with me but you don't need church and their bs to believe in any form of God.
    >
    And sadly, politics in the US are beginning to resemble religious fervor on both sides. This doesn't bode well for dialog, understanding, and compromises necessary to benefit as many as possible, rather than just a Party's base.
  • @WW_icefree

I don’t have a problem with anyone who believes in a deity. I do object to those that start organizing and demanding both attendance and money.

Look at the mega-churches. The desire to get private jets (‘god wants me to get a Gulfstream’). Look at the rampant sexual abuse.

Have a peaceful and beautiful relationship with god. Pray to god and be responsible when praying with others. No problem from me.
  • This still doesn’t seem very Christian.

https://mobile.twitter.com/harrylitman/status/1333457267060994048
  • > @RedShift said:
    > @WW_icefree
    >
    > I don’t have a problem with anyone who believes in a deity. I do object to those that start organizing and demanding both attendance and money.
    >
    > Look at the mega-churches. The desire to get private jets (‘god wants me to get a Gulfstream’). Look at the rampant sexual abuse.
    >
    > Have a peaceful and beautiful relationship with god. Pray to god and be responsible when praying with others. No problem from me.
    >
    >

Living a block away from a megachurch, and watching their continuous expansion and new buildings on their 20 acres, there's a lot of money that didn't go to the needy. It's a self-priming pump.
  • FYI - received a detailed briefing on CV19 from a very high level expert. Most interesting was that it was explicitly stated that masks are almond 100% ineffective at stopping the spread and that the risk of civil unrest is rising as a result of severe state and local restrictions that are having a devastating impact on people. When asked what steps we could take to protect ourselves from infection, the answer was, “nothing”. On the bright side we were told that it’s extremely unlikely to kill or even cause severe illness in most people.
  • Scott Atlas is free to go full Q after being canceled by Stanford and Hoover.
    Darth loves him a conspiracy.
  • https://digest.bps.org.uk/2017/04/05/why-more-highly-educated-people-are-less-into-conspiracy-theories/
  • you cant cure stupid
    but you can infect it
  • If face masks are supposedly not effective then perhaps common folk should be upping their game and add on a face shield or adding another mask layer. Something has kept thousands of front line workers from getting infected.

Federal instructional mask use PSAs are long, long overdue.
  • Oh, speak of the devil.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump-ally-dr-scott-atlas-reportedly-resigns-from-coronavirus-task-force-11606782515?mod=bnbh