Model 3

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Getting really fed up with Tesla & USB music!!!!!!

So I was all excited to get the famed holiday update yesterday - 2020.48.26. Unfortunately it added a bunch of stupid crap like more fart games, but didn't fix USB music!

I have a 2020 Model 3 Performance with a 500 GB USB drive with about 19K FLAC cuts on it that, since new:

1) Will not resume playing where it left off when I get in the car unless I wake the car up first via the app, and even then not always

2) Does not respect Replay Gain, so some tracks recorded at a higher volume blare. The volume must be constantly fiddled with.

3) since 2020.44, album art will not display in the player for tracks containing it. It's stayed broken for the last 4 releases!

I have many thousands of dollars invested in my music collection and I'd like to listen to it, not pay you a monthly premium bandwidth fee so I can stream crap over the internet! I've tried different drive sizes, different file systems, different allocation unit sizes; nothing works!

This is a $65K dollar car; isn't it kind of basic that the stereo should work right? I had a $100 Chinese MP3 player in my last car that outperforms Tesla in every way! Pity I can't just use that and escape this stupid broken mess, but Oh, guess what? Tesla was too cheap to include an AUX port to plug it into! What do I have to do, put a boom box on the passenger seat?

In other respects, the car works very well, but this is just stupid!!!!!! Less moronic farts and games! Put the priority on fixing basic things that are broken!!!!!

Very frustrated that Tesla can't get its priorities straight and fix my car after an entire year..

Comments

• I am thankful and grateful for the lump of coal Santa brought me this year.
  • 🥱🙄👍
  • I'm an 8 year MS owner and 3 year M3 owner. I've gotten pretty used to OTA's breaking things that worked perfectly fine before, removal of features I liked, new features that nobody asked for, waiting months, if not years, for things people are asking for and that general sense that Tesla knows what's best for us so sit down and don't complain when they change things because there are fanbois here that will flame you if you do.
  • You know you don’t have to download the updates, right?
  • > @"stingray.don_98527447" said: > You know you don’t have to download the updates, right?”

You know that the updates are bug fixes and a safety issue, right?
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @"stingray.don_98527447" said: > You know you don’t have to download the updates, right?”
    >
    > You know that the updates are bug fixes and a safety issue, right?
    >
    >

You know trolls are mentally ill, right?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/your-online-secrets/201409/internet-trolls-are-narcissists-psychopaths-and-sadists
  • Once again I encourage normal members to write email to [email protected] about FiSHEV misinformation campaign against Tesla. If enough people bring this to their attention we might get rid off him forever. Thank you.
  • > @stevenmaifert_12203 said:
    > Tesla knows what's best for us so sit down and don't complain when they change things because there are fanbois here that will flame you if you do.

Since there really is little to no evidence that Tesla monitors these forums for content the lashing out here is usually frowned upon by many. Typically if the "complaint" is absent of whining ad hominem it is left alone but when starts to look like a rant no holds are barred.

I recommend contacting Tesla, through your account, if you have specific complaints you wish to weigh in with.
  • It's frustrating that a college intern should be able to do a better job in a few days than Tesla has done on this feature in many years, and I understand your frustration. Tesla has yet to get the basic features working for USB that one would reasonably expect, such as remembering where it left off, being able to "favorite" folders, and to be able to put them in a rotation. But for now, it's less usable than a 1975 car with a cassette deck. At least those remembered where you left off, and could move on to the other side when one side completed, rather than switching to silence.
  • Who needs music on usb so last century. Get with the program everyone is streaming this days.
  • I eventually got to the point that I simply believe that Tesla hates anyone who plays music off flash drives. It makes it so much easier to understand why things break so often.
  • As prove you ar still here. Enjoy
  • But not for too long
  • > @FSD_Skeptic said:
    > If Tesla doesn't monitor their own forum that is linked from their Marketing website then why is that lil Flag ww_IceFree Being such a Flagget and Flagging everyone with a Tesla Complaint?

I really cannot speak for the motivations of others. I have extensive experience with this forum (I got booted from it twice) and out of that I learned this forum actually falls under the umbrella of customer service. It would be a much better forum if someone with a marketing background were in charge, IMO. Tesla has no marketing to speak of.

I like puzzles and trying to figure out why Tesla allows people to post things that are harmful to others here is a real head scratcher. There are other threads on this forum where people post information, that if followed, can lead others to their deaths. At first I thought it was consistent with supporting free speech but when I got booted for posting insults, and I see others posting much worse and not get booted, the puzzle became much more complicated.
  • That is frustrating I’m sure but won’t be a priority any time soon I’m sure.. 99%+ of people use Bluetooth. And I held on to CD’s and Blu-ray’s a long long time...convenience has taken over
  • One possible solution is to copy your music library (or as much as will fit) to you smartphone. I have well over 6000 songs on my iPhone SE and it works perfectly in my M3. You mentioned that you use FLAC files. You may have to convert them to Apple Lossless files to get more songs onto your phone, assuming you have an iPhone, but I doubt you'll notice a loss in audio quality considering the wind and road noise.
  • Here is my experience. I just purchased a 64GB Samsung USB 3.1, loaded the same 8.5GB of files that play flawlessly off the SD Card in my VW eGolf, along with models going back to my 2011 VW Jetta. However the first song will play but then I get "error loading USB" and no other songs will play. The song list on the M3 screen shows duplicates of every song. I removed the USB and inserted it into my laptop. No duplicate songs are shown and they play fine through the laptop.
    @Shelburne - I have all of my music on my iPhone and it works fine on the M3. However there are downsides to playing off the iPhone which include: 1) I have to open my music folder on my iPhone and select Albums and then start a song off my iPhone before I can control the songs from the vehicle. I often decide I want to play stored music after driving off and listening to the radio. Then I am either fumbling with my iPhone while driving (not safe) or I have to pull over to start the iPhone music. A pain and certainly not expected out of such a technically advanced vehicle. 2) Any sounds made for texts, emails, or other notifications interrupt the music and play over the car. 3) The iPhone battery drains when playing music. Yes, I can plug it into a USB to charge it but why should I have to do that when there are 2 USB's in the console that I should be able to use with a flash drive? Like others have said USB's and SD cards in much older vehicles work flawlessly. It is not rocket science to get this function working.
  • Unless your iPhone is ancient it shouldn’t drain just by playing Bluetooth audio. The people here who still load MP3s to a flash drive are certainly a head scratcher.
  • Hey at least they don't complain that there are no cd players in Teslas.
  • I’m sorry but I don’t understand this rant. As others have said USB music seems to have gone the way of cassettes and CD’s. Just put the music on your phone and stream it.

When I stream my music I get album cover art and it always picks up where I left off. Just the features it sounds like you want. Also when I get out of the car the music comes with me on my pods. Can’t do that with a USB stick!

With no wires and wireless charging built into the car they have you covered. That would be my suggestion. It will save you lots of aggravation.
  • > @coastliveoak_98388973 said:
    I often decide I want to play stored music after driving off and listening to the radio. Then I am either fumbling with my iPhone while driving (not safe) or I have to pull over to start the iPhone music.<

Correct, not safe or convenient. However, you should be able to use Siri to control your iPhone music with voice commands while driving.

I understand that many people have preferences for music on CD, SD or USB storage. I’m just thinking that you are running into a brick wall with Tesla here. It’s easier to find a way to go around the wall than keep banging your head against it. Might be best to stream from the phone or else drive a car with those capabilities - just likely won’t be a Tesla.
  • If they are not going to have the USB ports perform as they should why install them?
  • I thought they were for charging and sentry mode recording. I hadn’t thought of using as an aux input. Great if it works for that purpose.
  • > @RSX50 said:
    > I thought they were for charging and sentry mode recording. I hadn’t thought of using as an aux input. Great if it works for that purpose.

The USB ports supported media playback long before the dashcam was introduced. I suggest you browse the manual, you might learn about some other features you didn’t know you have. I don’t mean that sarcastically, I’m serious.
  • THE USB music issues have bothered me for over 2 years. It's never worked correctly. And no, there is no streaming or bluetooth substitute when you have a large library and prefer hi-bitrate files to go with the wonderful audio system.