Model X

Latest Release - Text Font Too Small on Display

Installed latest software release. Notes said "improved" display in some way. However, I view as a setback. The font on all text at bottom in particular is now smaller and much harder to read. Range, temperature, etc. I went to Display on settings but no choice for larger text. Any idea how to make the font larger?

Comments

• @brasscitycheck - Yep you should get fixed. Glasses that you can read and see the road. Perhaps a progressive lens might be worth considering. The display is dramatically different between Park and Drive. If you can't see this, you really should not be driving.

I agree it would be nice to have the larger fonts, but the smaller font makes the more important center 360 visualization quite a bit larger. I don't want to go back to the smaller visualization. Stoplights are easier to see, as are roadsigns and other elements of the display.
  • I agree with the above complaints about the smaller font size on the dashboard. Way too small! Is there a way to go back to the older software version? Or provide the ability to increase the font size as a user preference. That can't be that difficult to program. I have it on my iPhone. I don't need the center visualization better. It was perfectly fine for me in the older software version. I can use my own eyes on the road to see stoplights and roadsigns!
  • I concur. Had I known the dashboard fonts would be reduced so much, I would never have updated. What is the best way to revert back to the previous version, get Tesla to reconsider that ill-advised move or to convince them to give the driver the option to choose the font size? Any ideas?
  • Tesla is playing a very dangerous game...
    I was engaged in the homologation of vehicles.
    From my experience - after the last 2020.48.26 software update for Tesla Model X homologation of my car will definitely not pass.

In the 2020.48.26 software update for Tesla Model X, I have some very dangerous elements.
    Dashboard option when:
    - driving mode indication (PRND) located in bottom left corner
    - in this position indication block is fully covered by steering wheel
    - indication of the driving mode by critical very small font
    - driver have not any other confirmation of the current driving mode used

This option is potentially dangerous.
    What is the danger:
    - a vehicle with a "conventional" automatic transmission gives the driver additional tactile "push" of the mode switching confirmation
    - the Tesla electric transmission does not give any natural tactile of the mode switching confirmation
    - inexperienced drivers tend to get stressed when they detect the error of the forward / rear driving mode choice
    - Some of the stressed drivers tend to keep pressing the gas pedal instead of the brake pedal
    - Youtube is full of video clips on this topic...

Maybe solution to the problem:
    1. Move the driving mode indication block to the center of the bottom line of the instrument panel.
    This is the traditional position of the indicator for most vehicles.
    2. Change the font to a larger one.
    3. Make a mode indication block more brighter and contrasting (maybe good idea - use different colors) in the first moments after switching.

I'm also absolutely unsatisfied that critical data can not be read easily and clearly:
    - speedometer
    - indications of the current speed limits
    - battery charge level (an unexpected stop in dangerous conditions with the inability to continue driving)
    - outside temperature (moment of the appearance of black ice on the road - good idea to use different colors of the indication fonts for critical temperature)
    - difficulty in controlling the current time on the dashboard.
  • Yes I noticed that also or lets say had a hard time noticing it
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > @brasscitycheck - Yep you should get fixed. Glasses that you can read and see the road. Perhaps a progressive lens might be worth considering. The display is dramatically different between Park and Drive. If you can't see this, you really should not be driving.
    >
    > I agree it would be nice to have the larger fonts, but the smaller font makes the more important center 360 visualization quite a bit larger. I don't want to go back to the smaller visualization. Stoplights are easier to see, as are roadsigns and other elements of the display.

I think the point brought up is different. My vision is just fine. Where the information is now laid out i.e. gears, time, temperature and speedo cannot be easily seen. I need to move my head around to see it and do it while I have my eyes off the road. This is not safe. The way I see it is Tesla damaged my car with this update, similar to someone throwing a brick at the windshield. I now need to move my head around to drive the car, but before the update everything was fine.
    > @luv2travel63 said:
    > I called tesla yesterday and they admit there have been many complaints about this issue but it can only be fixed with a software update. I recommend calling tesla as more people complain they may get this issue fixed quicker. I don’t think progressive lenses should be a requirement to safely drive a vehicle.
  • > @luv2travel63 said:
    > I called tesla yesterday and they admit there have been many complaints about this issue but it can only be fixed with a software update. I recommend calling tesla as more people complain they may get this issue fixed quicker. I don’t think progressive lenses should be a requirement to safely drive a vehicle.

I 100% agree. What Tesla did is essentially damage cars for some owners. Damage meaning a case of when people will have hard time driving the car because of the update. It is not ok to do this to someone's property. Cars are not owned by Tesla once they are sold.
  • I recommend contacting Tesla immediately. They need to hear this.
  • I am a new Tesla Y owner and agree that font size for critical information should be adjustable. I have good distance vision and use reading glasses for small print but have never needed them for driving. A few alerts popped up on the screen yesterday during my drive home from the dealer and I was unable to read them because the font was two small. Alternatively, Tesla should start selling Tesla branded bifocals.
  • The new font is unusable
  • Wow, the fanboism goes to new levels here when the finger is pointed back, suggesting people have eye problems. No, this is an issue and Tesla screwed up. It needs adjustment. They'll get to it. You folks insulting owners who legitimately observe that this is a problem need to take a hard look at your motivations and attitudes - and the purpose for a general forum to discuss a vehicle. Tesla has a unique feature - the ability to send updates that change the user interface - there have been controversies in the past and we've gotten past them - yes some people do not like change and that may be at play in some respects - but the change is worthy of comment and is a legit issue for some people. The demeaning and insulting responses are off putting and unnecessary.
  • Thanks for the *update*.😂 I guess I will hold off again. I thought I wasn't going to skip updates again. Oh well.
  • Agree. Please change font size back to where it was or at least give an option for old vs. new display.
  • Who is Tesla.tap. ? if this is official Tesla response then this will be the last Tesla i will ever own and i ask others to consider their position.
  • @aoe - TeslaTap is NOT Tesla. TeslaTap is just a longtime participant in these forums. Usually presents good ideas, but in this case i disagree with TeslaTap.
  • @aoe1_98255137 - Sorry, I was a bit annoyed and shouldn't have been that snarky. Not my usual. I'm not paid or employed by Tesla, just a fan like many others. Gets a bit annoying with some of the crazy hyperbole on small fonts. I agree larger fonts would be nice, but I also like the larger visualizations. So larger fonts mean a smaller visualization display.
  • Agreed! Too small ,plz give option to make font bigger 😩
  • The Fonts are now much larger with the 48.35.5 release being distributed now.
  • @"TeslaTap.com" yes they are, although i was fine with the smaller fonts :smile: