Solar Roof

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

SOCAL Installation Timeline

Hi all, I was just did an online chat with a Tesla support rep. THey told me that the current timeline for a solar roof installation is 1-2 months in my area (Seal Beach). Has anyone had their install go that fast recently? Thank you.

Comments

• I highly doubt 1-2 months. I'm in Glendale. Placed my order in June and tear off began two weeks ago. Currently waiting for Tesla to install roof. I'm being told they should start in 3 weeks. When I signed up in May the sales rep had told me it would take maximum 3 months....🤔
  • Thanks, that's helpful. Both project sunroof and tesla recommend a 4kw system for our address and our usual $100/month bill. But that was for our old single story no AC, no insulation, single pane window 1200 sq foot house. New house will be a two story, 2500 square foot house with AC, a hot tub, and likely an EV in a year or two. Any thoughts on system size? Thanks.
  • The same system size has different output depending on orientation and shading or lack of. Likewise 100.00 per month can mean different usage depending on your rate plan. I’m sure someone will be able to give you a number based on what you stated. But you can also do some homework yourself to come up with an estimate. Start by calculating your annual usage in kWh now, then add up all the usages for planned new appliances and toys. Manufacturer usually gives you energy usage and you can manually calculate annual usage or go to https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/maps/appliance-energy-calculator to get the number bases on your appliance. EV is based on how much you drive them so you need to estimate that. Add them all up and pad another 10%, your utility would not like a much bigger system output than what you are consuming now so you would have to list your planned new appliances. If you are building a new house and not adding to your existing house then just ignore what I said.
  • > @lakerpaddler said:
    > Thanks, that's helpful. Both project sunroof and tesla recommend a 4kw system for our address and our usual $100/month bill. But that was for our old single story no AC, no insulation, single pane window 1200 sq foot house. New house will be a two story, 2500 square foot house with AC, a hot tub, and likely an EV in a year or two. Any thoughts on system size? Thanks.

My house is 2,500 sq-ft. I have a pool and spa and AC, but no EV. My yearly consumption is about 7,500kWh (pre-covid), so I got a 5.6kW system which is supposed to give me about 8,200kW for the year (my City will not allow more than 110% of usage over previous 12 months).
  • > @lakerpaddler said:
    > Hi all, I was just did an online chat with a Tesla support rep. THey told me that the current timeline for a solar roof installation is 1-2 months in my area (Seal Beach). Has anyone had their install go that fast recently? Thank you.

I doubt that seriously. Been waiting for years for OCFA to approve solar roof. Anything on your side?
  • Hi,
    No, it does not go that fast. I live in the SF Bay area, where everything Tesla is located. I placed a deposit for solar roof in February, 2020. Installation began in middle of July 2020. Completed by August. Received Permission to Operate In September 2020.

The guys that did our installation (great guys, very professional) came from Fresno (about 4 hours away). They told me that installs have ramped up, and they've been super busy.

Took forever to get city & PG&E permits, solar roof designs, final approvals, paperwork signatures, and set up installation date.

After installation, again it took forever to get final inspections from the city. I emailed the city and PG&E (they responded, and I believe it helped speed things up).
    Anything not up to code will need to be done/redone, and reinspected. For us it took almost 2 weeks with 3 inspections.

Then Tesla sent all the paperwork to PG&E for review. Within 3 weeks got an email for Permission to Operate. I turned on our system and called Tesla to activate our system, for monitoring.

Sorry for being long winded, but, the process is long. I can't imagine how long it takes for people outside the SF Bay Area.

Was it worth it? I think so. Roof looks great until it gets dirty. Your roof for new house will probably need to be around 10-12 Kw. 4Kw might be too small. Cost will be more, after accurate sq footage is calculated and final system design created.

Hope this helps.
  • I'm in SoCal and just got my solar roof installed. Here's my timeline:
    9/25/20 - Signed Tesla purchase agreement.
    11/19/20 - Tear off starts
    11/23/20 - Dry in starts
    12/9/20 - Solar roof tile install starts
    12/11/20 - Install completed
    12/23/20 - Inspection approved.
    1/25/21 - PTO submitted to SCE by Tesla
    1/26/21 - PTO approved by SCE
  • > @korwinlee_98306346 said:
    > I'm in SoCal and just got my solar roof installed. Here's my timeline:
    > 9/25/20 - Signed Tesla purchase agreement.
    > 11/19/20 - Tear off starts
    > 11/23/20 - Dry in starts
    > 12/9/20 - Solar roof tile install starts
    > 12/11/20 - Install completed
    > 12/23/20 - Inspection approved.
    > 1/25/21 - PTO submitted to SCE by Tesla
    > 1/26/21 - PTO approved by SCE

wow that's quick! I signed 06/11/20, and had PTO approval on 01/25/21. Also, in SoCal.
  • What county in SO CAL? I got a call yesterday from an advisor saying they are delayed in OC and have no definitive timeline........So pathetic. Signed a contract in April 2019 and then updated to V3 in October 2019.
  • We are in Santa Barbara. Installation finished in November 2020 after countless delays and we are still waiting for PTO in February. Tesla has dropped the ball more times than I can count. Stay on them everyday after installation to ensure you receive your PTO.
  • > @Lakersfreak said:
    > I highly doubt 1-2 months. I'm in Glendale. Placed my order in June and tear off began two weeks ago. Currently waiting for Tesla to install roof. I'm being told they should start in 3 weeks. When I signed up in May the sales rep had told me it would take maximum 3 months....🤔

I agree. I started this project in June 2020. Looks as though they will be tearing the old roof off next month in March 2021. 21.5KW and six powerwalls. I live in Florida.
  • "Stay on them everyday after installation..."

I'd edit that to say "Stay on them, every step of the way."