Cybertruck

RV Towing Wish List

In no particular order:

1. Integrated brake controller or prewired for brake controller
2. Frame allows weight distribution hitch. (air suspension is not as effective)
3. Center display can integrate multiple cameras (backup, sides) attached to RV and allow for virtual sky view of surroundings.
4. 5th wheel capable
5. Camera close-up and guide for hitching.
6. 30 and 50 amp power outlets for RV shore power.
7. Mid gate to allow for dogs to ride in bed area under tonneau cover and still be with the family.
8. Allow for Cybertruck with RV to charge at future Tesla Semi charging stations.
9. Tow mode to help monitor sway, braking, and efficiency.

Comments

• Because of the exoskeleton design, there is not a traditional frame to mount a hitch to. This is also an area of interest for those that want to attach a plow.

We'll have to see what solutions Tesla provides when more specific information is released.
  • Oh for sure!! Someone was talking about t-slots on Twitter I thought it was a brilliant idea there truly are all kinds of different ideas they could use. I'm still super optimistic that they'll include something for a fifth wheel. It's a truck so I feel like that's a must but idk. I'd love for the Cybertruck to be able to maybe catch the wireless cameras already setup in my rig. 6- I think it comes with a nema-50 plug with the portable charger?
  • How far do you think you'll be able to tow an RV on a charge?(even with the biggest battery)? Maybe 100, 150 miles? Maybe thats ok...im guessing it takes a lot of range off a big ICE truck too.
  • > @Spuzzz said:
    > How far do you think you'll be able to tow an RV on a charge?(even with the biggest battery)? Maybe 100, 150 miles? Maybe thats ok...im guessing it takes a lot of range off a big ICE truck too.

I expect the tri-motor will have a range somewhere north of 600 miles. When towing at max should be half that. Driving at 55 mph would be about 5.5 hours down the road. Charging would also need to be faster (that's why I'm asking for fast semi charging capability). I haven't done any calculations but I expect with at tri-motor I can drive about 4 hours down the road, charge for 30 minutes from 10% to 90%, drive for 4 hours, charge again from 10% to 90%, and repeat if necesary.

For ICE cars it looks like highway mpg while towing for a 3/4 ton truck is about 10 mpg. Ford F250 has at most a 48 gallon tank I believe. So it can go theoretically 480 miles. Will you want to go that far without stopping for 30 to 45 minutes?

I also saw an interesting article or youtube video (can't remember) where they made the case that the 3500 lb loading capacity of the Cybertruck allows for bringing along a propane tank and generator for range extension if you need to go far off grid.
  • My wish list would include an RV that would integrate with the car seamlessly. The RV would be on its own skateboard with batteries, motors and even solar on the roof. It wouldn’t be cheap with a massive battery but could theoretically increase the range and make for some epic off-grid adventures.
  • look at this posting to see what is important for truck owners and how they will view and evaluate the Cybertruck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoqlP5PS8k8
  • I'd like Tesla to work with Reese® RV towing accessories manufacturer (I have no association with Reese®) to design a GooseBox gooseneck coupler for the CyberTruck. Reese® already has a pinbox designed to combine the best features of 5th wheel couplers AND gooseball hitches.

The downside of traditional gooseneck couplers was the lack of any shock absorption between the truck and trailer, but the Goosebox has solved that. It's like a 5th wheel pinbox but instead of a kingpin, the coupler has greater reach to connect instead to a gooseball mounted to the floor of the truck bed. The Goosebox has airbag adjustable height and shock absorption to make traveling with your trailer a much smoother experience.

The problem that CyberTruck is going to have for 5th wheel RVers is going to be the interference that the sail panels are going to present when making sharp turns and backing. The CyberTruck's independent adjustable suspension can help somewhat with that, by tilting side-to-side and front-to-back in those situations, but adding an ability for the coupler to raise and lower and/or slide forward and backward could eliminate all sail panel interference. The CT's onboard air compressor can be used to remotely or automatically add/remove air from the airbags to prevent the overhang from contacting the bed sides.

When I take off in my CT for Full-time RV life in my 5th wheel I don't want the inconvenience of having to haul around a HEAVY mounting system in the bed of my CT. Those mounts, especially a slider mount, that would be needed to alleviate the sail panel problem are around 200 lbs. That is NOT the kind of useless weight I want to be carrying around in my bed after I've dropped my trailer. It's a drain on precious range in the back country and is a waste of space in the bed. I want my dogs to be able to use the bed when running errands or doing day trips away from the RV. An individual and even a couple would have a hard time trying to remove a 5th wheel coupler by themselves. Unscrewing a gooseball from a recessed mount in the bed of CT would be far superior.

https://www.reeseprod.com/products/pin-boxes/goose-box
  • I would like to be able to flat tow the CT behind our RV. I had posed this question to Rivian and they replied that their vehicle would be flat towable.
    Please Tesla make this CT flat towable!
  • > @Knollibe said:
    > I would like to be able to flat tow the CT behind our RV. I had posed this question to Rivian and they replied that their vehicle would be flat towable.
    > Please Tesla make this CT flat towable!

I would guess that a CT is going to weigh north of 8000 pounds. while it's possible to flat tow this kind of weight you better have a serious tow bar. Most RV;s are not rated to tow anything close to this either.
  • "I would like to be able to flat tow the CT behind our RV."

Get FSD and have your CyberTruck meet you at our next destination.
  • With all the talk of a 5th wheel, flat gooseneck, ok yes. But I would be surprised if it can tow a 5th wheel camper. Most 5th wheel campers are 12-14k+ lbs and huge, tall and not at all aerodynamic. It is a 1/2 ton truck with a unibody...

Pulling and towing well are very different. Just because you can pull it doesn't mean you should tow it. If the CT comes in rated to 14k lbs really shouldn’t be looking at campers over GVW 10k lbs and probably more like 7-8k lbs if you want to tow it comfortable and well.

Here is a commercial of a 1973 Chevy 3/4 ton pulling 187 tons (374000 lbs)

https://youtu.be/LL4OeiMjvtk
  • > @macdolton_98561497 said:
    > > @Spuzzz said:
    > > How far do you think you'll be able to tow an RV on a charge?(even with the biggest battery)? Maybe 100, 150 miles? Maybe thats ok...im guessing it takes a lot of range off a big ICE truck too.
    >
    > I expect the tri-motor will have a range somewhere north of 600 miles. When towing at max should be half that. Driving at 55 mph would be about 5.5 hours down the road. Charging would also need to be faster (that's why I'm asking for fast semi charging capability). I haven't done any calculations but I expect with at tri-motor I can drive about 4 hours down the road, charge for 30 minutes from 10% to 90%, drive for 4 hours, charge again from 10% to 90%, and repeat if necesary.
    >
    > For ICE cars it looks like highway mpg while towing for a 3/4 ton truck is about 10 mpg. Ford F250 has at most a 48 gallon tank I believe. So it can go theoretically 480 miles. Will you want to go that far without stopping for 30 to 45 minutes?
    >
    > I also saw an interesting article or youtube video (can't remember) where they made the case that the 3500 lb loading capacity of the Cybertruck allows for bringing along a propane tank and generator for range extension if you need to go far off grid.

lets put that in some " real world" terms i have a 6000 lbs 26' boat . do you REALLY think that i drive 55 to the river ? it is 200 miles away through the Mojave desert in summer with hills A/C on max. I am doing 70-75 mph . i need at least an additional 20-30 miles to launch boat run to the store ect. so i want to know what the range is going to be. It seems impactable to use it as an everyday / everything use vehicle. but i want it to be so badly. and all these calcs need to be figured with the 3 motor.

and to answer your question yes ! when i go to the river i drive straight through as it is remote after 29 palms on hwy 62. only next stop is vidal junction on 177 . then the small town of Parker AZ. where i vacation.
  • @coleAK "Pulling and towing well are very different."

Yes, that's true. That's why Tesla says the CyberTruck has "the ability to PULL near infinite mass and a TOWING CAPACITY of over 14,000 pounds"

https://twitter.com/etienneshrdlu/status/1197812415045537794?s=20

Towing capacity is based on a vehicle's ability to: corner, come to a halt, and tow uphill in hot weather with the A/C on without overheating. The Tri-motor CT will exceed the ability to pull a 5th wheel trailer with GVWR up to 14k#. Range will suffer, but I'm willing to haul my RV even if the 500+ miles of range are less than half that with a trailer. My model 3 gets just over 200 on road trips, and I don't mind that at all.