Model S

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Backup Camera Night Vision

M3 owner and was convinced to throw down for an S now. Brilliant car. But, the backup camera/lights are worthless at night? Is there a setting I need to adjust, or is this a serious design flaw?

Comments

• Was fabulous with MCU1. After the upgrade to MCU2 it's pretty badly illuminated at night. Not sure what the deal is.
  • Known issue that apparently can be improved with new camera, per post on TMC.
  • > @"SoCal Buzz" said:
    > Known issue that apparently can be improved with new camera, per post on TMC.

Covered under warranty?
  • I've had the same problem since I purchased my "Raven" June 2019. Have had several MS's previously & my new one definitely had diminished nighttime illumination. Have taken it into service 4 X's for this, even replacing the backup camera, to no avail. Told it was a firmware problem & a fix was pending. That was 9 mos ago.
  • My backup illumination went out after upgrading from MCU 1 to 2 as well
    Just waiting for a fix, as new cameras do not seem to be the solution.
  • Same issue, I thought it was bad eyesight! Basically went much darker after my MCU1 to MCU2 replacement. Camera is pretty much useless in the dark unless you flash the brake lights to illuminate things. I think somebody at Tesla missed validating the upgrade before pushing it out to the general public.
  • Thanks for the responses. I’ll hope a software fix is developed soon.
  • @SoCal Buzz, can you give us a link to TMC where that info is posted? Please?
  • I had a service appointment scheduled for this issue, and they called me today (1/6/21) to cancel it and told me that a firmware fix is coming for the dark backup camera issue which began when I upgraded my MS recently to MCU2. The tech stated that the rear camera brightness will be better with upcoming version "20.21.8".

This version # does not correspond with my current software version 2020.48.30 but I did not notice this until after the call and hope the gist of the message is legit.
  • > @cliffordbaynon_93393562 said:
    > I had a service appointment scheduled for this issue, and they called me today (1/6/21) to cancel it and told me that a firmware fix is coming for the dark backup camera issue which began when I upgraded my MS recently to MCU2. The tech stated that the rear camera brightness will be better with upcoming version "20.21.8".
    >
    > This version # does not correspond with my current software version 2020.48.30 but I did not notice this until after the call and hope the gist of the message is legit.

They probably meant 2021.*.*.
  • > @DRFLGD said:
    > > @cliffordbaynon_93393562 said:
    > > I had a service appointment scheduled for this issue, and they called me today (1/6/21) to cancel it and told me that a firmware fix is coming for the dark backup camera issue which began when I upgraded my MS recently to MCU2. The tech stated that the rear camera brightness will be better with upcoming version "20.21.8".
    > >
    > > This version # does not correspond with my current software version 2020.48.30 but I did not notice this until after the call and hope the gist of the message is legit.
    >
    > They probably meant 2021.*.*.

I'm assuming this update is coming soon! I'm having the same issue on my 2015 MCU1->MCU2 Model S. I was about to order a backup camera upgrade to do it myself, but I am praying this software update will fix it instead. Fingers crossed!
  • What is a backup camera upgrade? Its that what its called in the parts catalog? Or something that Bob Lutz is selling on eBay?
  • I have the same problem, but I'm not downloading any updates until they fix the font issue.
  • After upgrading from MCU1 to MCU2 when the MCU1 went bad on my 2015 Model S, I have the same problem with the backup camera become dark and unusable at night. The font size on the screen is very small also. I am in contact with my advisor for help.
  • TT and I agreed to stop tracking failed MCU1 issues and we stopped working on restoring FM radio, so I needed something else to do. I've been curious about this low light image on the backup camera.

Several people are reporting the problem stated after their MCU2 upgrade. However on TMC and here in this thread there's also reports from people that have 2019 S's with factory MCU2 that are also reporting log light viewing problems. So it appears its not limited to MCU2 upgraded cars.

Several folks have said techs and SAs at their local SC told them there's a firmware fix coming that will fix this. Well, that sounds strange considering some of us were on the same version of fw before and after MCU2. I have not noticed a low light problem on my '17 since the MCU2 upgrade. But in the interest of trying to help, I tried this.

The rear camera is still made by the same company - SEMCO. The part number listed now is 1061269-00-D and that I guess we can conclude comes on the 2020-21. We can’t tell when the part number changed from 1061269-00-B to 1061269-00-D. So we don’t know how much before 2020-21 year models that 1061269-00-D became the camera. My 2017 has 1061269-00-B.

I’ve never seen an explanation about Tesla parts that states that they change the part number when they change the vendor/source. But when they change the “last letter” of the part number is an indicator this is a different revision. However, I think this logic makes sense enough to use it in explaining differences – until we hear different

I looked up the camera currently available in the online catalog. Its a restricted purchase item. But I found one on eBay same part number and bought it. And got it.

I did not permanently install it. I removed the left side plastic handhold. I could see the blue camera connection between the car’s cable and the rear camera. It’s not easy to reach. With considerable difficulty and without disassembling the car further, I reached and disconnected the mounted 2017 camera and plugged in the 1061269-00-D version. I used the cable length and with painter’s tape – taped the camera to the license plate. I took before and after pictures. I tried to create the same scenarios for two shots. I wasn’t mounting it permanent. And it’s a pain to mount it again for more tests.

I took two sets of same pictures using my phone my MCU’s screen, same conditions with 2017 and 2020 camera. Pictures were: 1 in park, in park with foot on brake. in reverse with foot on brake, and in reverse without foot on brake. I am not going to post them on any source. I accidently deleted half that matched. If you don't believe me, then you don't believe me, that's okay. Just not going to bother to recreate this again.

Bottom line. When I compared them, I can’t tell a difference. I don’t think replacing the original MCU1 camera with one from MCU2 car solves the problem or even helps. Only thing left is to wait on the firmware fix and hope it helps. I didn't see a low light problem, so others will have to judge if fw helped.
  • @akikiki
    I want to thank you for the test that you went out of your way to do for us. This camera issue has been some of the reason why I haven't updated my MCU1 yet. I'm sure my refresh 2016 has the same camera as your 2017. Thanks again.
  • My thanks as well, holding off on MCU2 for same reason.

Were the tests done at night?

Is it possible the newer camera requires a different firmware?
  • Thanks Guys. Really appreciate the acknowledgement of effort.

@tl, I'm do not think yours is same as my version. You might have 1006773-00-x. We know they were numbered "C" to "E". I have several spare "E"s. Looking at my old notes from our front cam kit days, I recorded our first known report of a newer camera that was thought to have better resolution. That was in July 2016 and was 1061269-00-A. Also looking at my eMMC failure spreadsheet, I see your build was 6/16, so your car might/most likely has one of the last 1006773-00-x camera installed.

You should be able to pop the left handhold off and look up inside. Lots of these camera have the white tag that has the part number on them.

Trivia. Since we are talking camera versions. From June 2012 until late spring 2013, Tesla installed two versions of the backup camera. At the time, they made a big deal that S's with Tech Package had HD 1080p backup and no Tech Package had 720. But in spring 2013, word surfaces all cars got 1080P with was 1006773-00-x.

Yes, done at night, in my garage, with doors closed all lights off. Only light came from the car. So dark, hard to see anything. Tried to maximize darkest scene possible.

I don't know if there's a way to perform a firmware upgrade. Never heard it being done. I have extra older versions of the camera that were on 2013-Q1/2-2016-ish from my time installing the front camera kit. I've had one all apart. There's no input to update firmware.

By the way, I bounced my test and info by kdday on TMC. He has the "C" version of the camera and he agreed with my thinking that switching hardware (camera) is not going to help solve this. Those of us that visit TMC, know kdday and his work well.
  • @akikiki, from what I'm reading then it looks like the darkness that's been reported is probably a compatibility issue with the new MCU2 and the older MCU1. Unless Tesla does a software update the problem will remain. I've read some reports of it not being real bad and also with brighter backup lights that also can help.
  • Agree - Egg-xactly
  • @tl, but there solid reports by name of people with 2019 S's (Ravens) that have the same issue. Naturally, factory MCU2.
  • I have the issue as well with the backup camera on my 2015 model S. It was great til the the mcu1 failed, and I purchased the muc2 upgrade in October. I also purchased the upgrade for my wife's 2018 model X. Hers is fine
  • Good. Well, sorry, I don't mean good that you are also having this issue. I mean good that we have another example from another year with a different rear camera version than we have already identified as having the problem. The wider the group with the problem, the more likely (finally) Tesla will put resources to it and fix it. I remember a post as far back as Oct last year where someone was told by their SC that a firmware update was coming that would fix it. "Well,,,,,,,,"
  • Adding: 2016 S, rear camera worked great at night prior to MCU replacement. Pretty useless now. For that matter, night vision on rear camera in previous 2013 S also worked just fine. Fix this, Tesla.
  • Great opportunity for a third party....

Camera issue is the only thing holding me back on MCU2.