General

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Taycan 4S has fastest ever EV Cannonball Run

Comments

• “ Four Porsche threads posted in General.

None by me.” - fish

How many nonsense filled responses from the fish in those threads?
  • > @lbowroom said:
    > So we all agree it’s far easier to go to almost infinitely more places around the country in a Tesla on the supercharger network than any other EV on CCS.

That’s still probably an accurate statement. But it’s not likely to last longer than 1 or 2 years more since there are many more cars built to use CCS and it’s the standard.
  • > @Darthamerica said: > That’s still probably an accurate statement. But it’s not likely to last longer than 1 or 2 years more since there are many more cars built to use CCS and it’s the standard."

Probably inaccurate to say "far easier". Just as easy on the main routes only caveat would be there are some low traffic areas you could not do it with EA...yet.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @Darthamerica said: > That’s still probably an accurate statement. But it’s not likely to last longer than 1 or 2 years more since there are many more cars built to use CCS and it’s the standard."
    >
    > Probably inaccurate to say "far easier". Just as easy on the main routes only caveat would be there are some low traffic areas you could not do it with EA...yet.
    >
    >

Tesla has had more time to deploy its vertically integrated charging network. It’s not surprising that a proprietary charging network works better. But that was only a temporary thing and mainly intended to give potential Tesla owners less concern about range and the ability to travel. However CCS will overtake Super Chargers in numbers very quickly.
  • > @lbowroom said: > How many nonsense filled responses from the fish in those threads?"

Identifying your post above as a "nonsence post" (totally off topic) you lead by a 10:0, always off topic while mine are always about the Porsche or the Tesla...except when I very occasionally point out your math errors on "nonsense" posts.
  • @Darth - It wasn't necessary for anyone to go out of their way to disparage the Taycan. Porsche did that by totally missing the market with a car that far more expensive, slower, less range, less power at most speeds, less cargo space, heavier, and bottom of the pack in automation features, when compared with a Model S. Many features standard in the Model S, are extra-cost items in the Taycan, like basic ACC. It's a $2,000 option on the Taycan! So this pig is far from a great EV despite the dollars Porsche pays you to say otherwise.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > @Darth - It wasn't necessary for anyone to go out of their way to disparage the Taycan. Porsche did that by totally missing the market with a car that far more expensive, slower, less range, less power at most speeds, less cargo space, heavier, and bottom of the pack in automation features, when compared with a Model S. Many features standard in the Model S, are extra-cost items in the Taycan, like basic ACC. It's a $2,000 option on the Taycan! So this pig is far from a great EV despite the dollars Porsche pays you to say otherwise.
    >
    >
    Exactly. Already widely discussed here and in the Porsche Forums, but the Taycan missed the finish line by a wide margin. That being said, there are people who want one and got one, but the number of people who canceled their reservations was

Many of us -- myself included -- looked at buying one and it was not worth it. The original Mission E was a great concept car, which is why there was quite a bit of excitement around the Taycan. Epic fail on Porsche's part, on multiple levels. Again, already widely discussed.

If someone wants to go buy one, there are plenty around. Have at it!
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > @Darth - It wasn't necessary for anyone to go out of their way to disparage the Taycan. Porsche did that by totally missing the market with a car that far more expensive, slower, less range, less power at most speeds, less cargo space, heavier, and bottom of the pack in automation features, when compared with a Model S. Many features standard in the Model S, are extra-cost items in the Taycan, like basic ACC. It's a $2,000 option on the Taycan! So this pig is far from a great EV despite the dollars Porsche pays you to say otherwise.
    >
    >

Trust me, the only people disparaging Taycan are a few Tesla fanbois on this forum who know very little about cars. Otherwise it’s almost universally recognized as the best EV in the world right now.
  • Edit -> That being said, there are people who want one and got one, but the number of people who canceled their reservations was significant, leading Porsche to drop their production numbers and projected sell through.
  • Off topic and nonsense are not equivalent
  • And you have never corrected anyone’s math.
  • > @SbMD said: That being said, there are people who want one and got one, but the number of people who canceled their reservations was significant, leading Porsche to drop their production numbers and projected sell through.”

And on Planet Earth.

“Porsche Taycan Sales To Exceed Target Of 20,000 This Year”

https://insideevs.com/news/456396/porsche-taycan-sales-20000-this-year/
  • Wow, I didn't know Porsche was going to miss their plans by so much. The original plan was 40,000. They did about 11,000 sales to dealers in 2020, with less actual sales to customers. That's an epic fail. Sounds like 20K is another wild aspirational goal, but good for them.

I have no problems with anyone buying one, but the Taycan provides horrible value when stacked against Tesla. With Plaid coming out later this year, it will likely decimate Taycan sales.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @SbMD said: That being said, there are people who want one and got one, but the number of people who canceled their reservations was significant, leading Porsche to drop their production numbers and projected sell through.”
    >
    > And on Planet Earth.
    >
    > “Porsche Taycan Sales To Exceed Target Of 20,000 This Year”
    >
    > https://insideevs.com/news/456396/porsche-taycan-sales-20000-this-year/
    >

Planet earth indeed. Yawn.

That wasn't the original target. Some of us have been following this project for quite a while. I am also aware of the needed changes at the plant down to the labor level which now have to be rethought and is no small feat.

Believe what you want, but in your terms, you are a flat-earther in perspective.
  • Comparative year sales show Taycan doing 1/4th the sales of the Model S.

Case closed.
  • > @RedShift said:
    > Comparative year sales show Taycan doing 1/4th the sales of the Model S.
    >
    > Case closed.

There is no case. Taycan is not intended to be a mass market car. It’s a luxury item catering to a niche market. Apples and oranges.
  • > @Darthamerica said:
    >
    > There is no case. Taycan is not intended to be a mass market car. It’s a luxury item catering to a niche market. Apples and oranges.

And yet you have started the threads to compare these cars, and in a Tesla Forum, no less.

An interesting study in pivots, @darth, but one you have made before; you do this when it suits your narrative-for-the-moment.

Keep posting.
  • 20000 a year is not boutique for a ultra luxury car.

Moreover, 40000 a year was the aspiration.

Case closed, sit down.
  • > @RedShift said:
    > 20000 a year is not boutique for a ultra luxury car.
    >
    > Moreover, 40000 a year was the aspiration.
    >
    > Case closed, sit down.

I am sitting down! Otherwise I might fall over laughing at you fanbois trying to rationalize away reality. Porsche made a fantastic EV Sports Car in Taycan. For whatever reason that upsets a few Tesla fanbois who thought the world stopped the day they got their cars. It’s like dealing with children here.
  • I must admit they are growing on me. At first I didn’t like the styling; too much panamera to it. But I see them frequently in town and have come around.

The value proposition isn’t there but that’s true of many luxury cars.
  • @Darthamerica

“ I am sitting down! Otherwise I might fall over laughing at you fanbois trying to rationalize away reality.”

Project, delusional grasshopper. Project.
  • > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said:
    > I must admit they are growing on me. At first I didn’t like the styling; too much panamera to it. But I see them frequently in town and have come around.
    >
    > The value proposition isn’t there but that’s true of many luxury cars.

That’s fair in my opinion. Nothing wrong with a Model 3 Performance for ~2/3rds of the cost. But as you suggest, there are intangibles associated with luxury brands and these purchase decisions aren’t rational. We could make the same case for why a Prius is a better “value” than M3P. So it’s really all preferences and financial ability.

If you see a white one at night with The Mission E styled white wheels, it’s an incredible sight. A lot of us buy cars specifically because we want exclusivity. Part of the appeal of the Taycan for me is knowing that not everyone can have one. At this point all I’m waiting on is to see what Model S Plaid actually offers whenever it becomes a real car I can buy and drive. If all it is is just 100 miles more range and a faster 0-60 time, I’ll pass. I’m hoping for aggressive styling changes, better technology and an interior worthy of $150K.
  • Is that the one with the white patches along the wheel barrels?

Looks good in motion; looks not so good parked.
  • > @SbMD said: > That wasn't the original target. Some of us have been following this project for quite a while. “

I’m sure you are expert but...all these headlines...who to believe?

“Automotive News reports that global demand for the Taycan has outstripped Porsche’s expectations. “

https://electrek.co/2020/05/26/pandemic-causes-porsche-to-slow-down-us-sales-of-taycan-ev/
  • > @FISHEV said:

> I’m sure you are expert but...all these headlines...who to believe?
    >
    > “Automotive News reports that global demand for the Taycan has outstripped Porsche’s expectations. “
    >
    > https://electrek.co/2020/05/26/pandemic-causes-porsche-to-slow-down-us-sales-of-taycan-ev/

And you know, I had to ask myself, "isn't this curious" when I read this article when it came out and the others that came out courtesy of the Porsche press junkets. How is that Porsche reduced the overall projections from their original 1-5 year ramp up, then backed down, and reframed it as an increase?

Wow. They are going to fool some people for sure. Looks like they did.