Model S

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

NHTSA tells Tesla to fix it - via recall

Here it is. Get in line.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2020/INRM-EA20003-11321.pdf

Comments

• I sort of jumped the gun with "tells". They asked, Tesla. But anyone think that Tesla is going to say no?
  • It will be interesting to see what Teslas' response is. They have until the 27th to respond.
  • I guess I saved Tesla some money. Already upgraded to MCU2
  • Tesla will tell them they already extended the warranty to cover this problem. It will take more than just tell them to recall. Courts and all the jazz.
  • "ODI believes that a 5- or 6-year life expectancy for a component integral to providing the driver with safety functions is insufficient. During our review of the data, Tesla provided confirmation that all units will inevitably fail given the memory device’s finite storage capacity. Tesla provided its own statistical model showing the number of projected weekly MCU repairs from 2020 to 2028, estimating that replacement rates for MCU failures will peak in early 2022 "

"... showed MCU failure rates between 14.2 – 17.3% for the range of MY 2012-2015 Model S vehicles..."

"The Safety Consequences and Precedent
    A. The lack of an image on a backup camera display increases the risk of a crash
    B. The lack of a functioning windshield defogging and defrosting system may decrease the driver’s visibility, increasing the risk of crash.
    C. The impact on alert/sensing functions on ADAS and turn signal functionality increases the risk of a crash.

So much for Teslatap's 0.03% failure rate and all the fanboys' "it's not a safety hazard." Akikiki, thanks for the update.
  • Looks like predicted future failure rates and not actual failure rates right now.
  • Hard to tell with your cut and paste style.
  • Best way for Tesla is to offer deep discounts for MCU 2 upgrades for people who wants it.
  • For 1-1.5k I would get the upgrade.
  • akikiki, you clearly didn't read the report.

This letter is from the ODI. They are asking Tesla to do a recall. They do not have the authority to mandate a recall. It further states that if Tesla doesn't provide additional data to show why a recall is not needed, ODI will then pass it's report onto those in NHTSA that will review the report/findings and if felt, they can/will mandate the recall.

Thanks for posting though.
  • Does anybody know the cost of upgrading from MCU1 to MCU2 in Southern California? I’m making an appointment right now. Thanks.
  • It might be a good idea to get in line for an MCU2 before the rush when folks realise the recalls will take longer than airbag and steering bolts and hope for a refund when they finish up replacing MCU1 in 3-4 years.
  • > @WW_Icefree said:
    > For 1-1.5k I would get the upgrade.

I agree! They should split the cost which I’m told is $2500 to upgrade.
  • They can fix MCU1 without an upgrade to MCU2.
  • @avesraggiana
    MCU 2 Upgrade in So Cal cost me $2500 + Tax. Took 1 day for the upgrade for my Dec 2017 S.

The upgrade really makes a difference.

Good Luck
  • What MGM-75 said. Everyone talks about the games and access to Netflix, Youtube, etc., but having actual internet functionality on the big screen is really nice. Reading restaurant menus, for example, as opposed to trying to read them on your phone.
  • upgrade was done in my garage by mobile service in about an hour
  • > @jimglas_98269389 said:
    > upgrade was done in my garage by mobile service in about an hour

Mcu update? Are you in CA?
  • @jordan, had to re-read it to see the "asks/request". But you clearly didn't see my second posts, eh?
  • > @WW_Icefree said:
    > > @jimglas_98269389 said:
    > > upgrade was done in my garage by mobile service in about an hour
    >
    > Mcu update? Are you in CA?
    ------------------------
    yes, in Colorado
  • > @MGM-75 said:
    > @avesraggiana
    > MCU 2 Upgrade in So Cal cost me $2500 + Tax. Took 1 day for the upgrade for my Dec 2017 S.
    >
    > The upgrade really makes a difference.
    >
    > Good Luck

EEEEK!!! Pricey! I was hoping the price to upgrade had come down. Just got a notice saying that I would need to bring our Model S75D in to the Service Centre. No Mobile Service.

We also have a late 2018 Model X100D. The MCU2 really is superior to the MCU1, there’s a definite difference.

Thanks for your response.
  • Since my whole motivation for upgrading from MCU1 to MCU2 is because the MCU1 is intermittently glitchy, I wonder if our local Service Centre (San Diego) could offer a lower price to upgrade to MCU2, especially since our MCU1 is eventually going to have to be replaced anyway...

Of course, there’s no one, anywhere, at Tesla who could simply pick up the phone to answer my question.
  • I had my eMMC chip replaced. I asked if I upgraded to MCU2 whether I'd get a credit for the cost of the eMMC chip. The answer was no. So I just did the (free) chip.
  • > @inconel said:
    > I guess I saved Tesla some money. Already upgraded to MCU2

You're entitled to the difference
  • > @avesraggiana said:
    > Does anybody know the cost of upgrading from MCU1 to MCU2 in Southern California? I’m making an appointment right now. Thanks.

A person with a 2015 85d was quoted $2250 for the upgrade. The screen would get replaced also