Model Y

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Satellite radio

No satellite radio? Any plans to add it? Need it.

Comments

• There are no plans to add satellite radio to the MY. There is no place on the roof for the antenna. But you should be able to listen to Sirius XM on your phone. The service available on your phone has additional features and channels not available on the normal satellite radio.
  • Just bluetooth it from your iPhone from the SiriusXM app
  • https://teslatap.com/articles/xm-radio-in-teslas/
    or even
    https://www.grecobon.com/2019/06/siriusxm-satellite-radio-installation-tesla-model-3/
  • Works great when there's a cell signal. See, the advantage of satellite radio is it works virtually anywhere in the US, regardless of cell coverage. XM using your CELL phone doesn't solve the issue.
  • I get it but if you’re buying a MY or M3 you go into it knowing you’re not getting XM built in. I was not happy about it either but I’m coping and have not had any issues with streaming it via BT. I also think the Tesla Spotify and Tune-in apps are perfectly fine as well. I’m saving a fortune by not paying $250 for XM in my last car.
  • We just picked up our Y 10 days ago. There has been a persistent problem of the radio cutting out for a brief period (fraction of a second) after some noise. Distamce to the radio station less than 10 miles ((16km). Anyone else having had the problem?
  • Not having Sirius in the Model Y is preventing me from getting a Tesla. I love music, and I live in the mountains, Sirius XM has been a game changer for me. I almost shelled out the extra $50k for a Model X, but I had to step back and be like, the X-Wing doors are kinda annoying! And having to carry a key fob is annoying AF, given that Model Ys don't require a key fob! Like can we get a mid range SUV that has XM and 0-60 in 2.6 with all vegan interior? Like are they not adding XM because Starlink service those long road trips or trips in the mountains that are typically only serviced by XM?
  • They're not adding XM/Sirius because it's not something that the general public wants. Not worth Tesla's time and money on engineering a solution and added cost to put the hardware in for a feature very few people are going to use. I had SXM factory-installed in the 4 or 5 cars prior to my Model 3 (not by choice, just how they came) and I didn't use it beyond the free trial period that came with the car...not worth any dollar amount in my opinion, since the channels are super repetitive with their playlists and I can get better music selection for free on Slacker and even better options on Spotify for only $5-10/mo.
  • > @GreginNH said:
    > They're not adding XM/Sirius because it's not something that the general public wants.

I had SXM factory-installed in the 4 or 5 cars prior to my Model 3 (not by choice, just how they came) and I didn't use it beyond the free trial period that came with the car...not worth any dollar amount in my opinion...

Spoken like someone who doesn't understand the post you responded to. Tesla removed XM in favor of more robust streaming options. And if there's LTE near you (3G is being decommissioned nationwide), no problem.

I just love people who unilaterally believe they can speak for other people or the "general public."
  • I love my Model Y, however, I find myself often cursing Elon's name when I'm driving, and trying to listen to a news radio channel or other station on Tuning. We live in the country, and often don't have a 4G signal. The TuneIn often loses connection for several minutes. I'm no tech wizard, but even when I'm driving in town, the signal is often lost. Several times, the radio just stops functioning entirely, and I've had to reset the whole system to get it to work again. I want actual satellite radio! Not something that will only work if the car or phone can get a 4g signal.
  • @kikicolorado the workaround is, if your cell phone carrier has a more robust signal than AT&T (used by the car) use your phone to access the SXM app, and then just BT it to the car. If all wireless carriers in your area have signal weakness, this of course won't work.

I feel your pain, but it's tilting at windmills to expect XM in any future M3 or MY. Believe me, I've tried for years. And the omission of AM also has potential issues related to safety - signs that say "tune to 1680 when flashing" and so forth. Anyway, it is what it is, unfortunately.
  • A competent car audio shop or even DIY will work to install XM into your car. Or AM if you want that. It won't be completely compatible with the center touch screen, but hey it's just another touch screen of some kind...

TeslaTap has some good info on XM (and other things) for the M3 that will likely be the same or close for the MY.
  • It'll be a cold day in hell before I mod my MY or M3.
  • I've already swapped floor mats, added center console wraps, added ceramic coating, signed up for Spotify, added dashcam usb drives, swapped aero wheel cap kits, bought snow tires, all kinds of 'mods'. Everyone wants their car to work for them. Why not mod the car audio to suit?
  • Is there any chance that our vehicles have built in hardware to someday connect to the STARLINK satellite network with a software update? STARLINK is awesome!
  • > @posinator_92599 said:
    > I've already swapped floor mats, added center console wraps, added ceramic coating, signed up for Spotify, added dashcam usb drives, swapped aero wheel cap kits, bought snow tires, all kinds of 'mods'. Everyone wants their car to work for them. Why not mod the car audio to suit?

I was specifically referring to mods to the electrical system. Because dinking with the Tesla electrical system (especially in the MY or M3) is not like dinking with the electrical system in most other cars. And then, of course, is the lack of integration with the main screen. But many still do, and bully for them! I just don't want to see them bitching when Tesla denies a warranty repair resulting from the mod.

But changing out the console, ceramic/wrap coatings, blackout decals and so forth are not an issue at all (other than aesthetics).
  • > @TenaciousT said:
    > Is there any chance that our vehicles have built in hardware to someday connect to the STARLINK satellite network with a software update? STARLINK is awesome!

No, apparently Elon has stated STARLINK will not work well in moving vehicles.
  • It’s been my experience that the audio is very good when using Bluetooth to listen to XM stations. Yeah it sucks that MY doesn’t offer XM but there are other options.