General

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Taycan vs. Model S

There is quite a bit of fake information about the Taycan vs. the Model S by various Porsche fanboys. It’s a good EV although expensive. I compiled all the details, from pricing, feature differences, and more:
https://teslatap.com/taycan-vs-model-s/

Two things stand out, that I wasn’t fully aware of. First Porsche has so many options that allow dramatic customization for custom orders. Cars on the lot are pre-configured, so the real choices are far less.

Second, it takes a lot of options to match up to what Tesla provides as standard. In the case of the Taycan 4S, you must order $29,719 worth of options. That ignores the extra $6580 needed for the larger battery, which is still smaller than the Model S 100 kWh pack. The Taycan Turbo S includes the larger battery and a few additional options, so the extra options needed to compete with the P100D is only $16,620.

Anyway, I’ve tried to be fair, and point out the features that are unique to each car without commentary. I expect a few Porsche fanboys will post the typical lies, like how 800v charging is faster than Tesla's 250 kW Superchargers (it isn't), but hopefully, I and others will respond if they show up. It really isn't necessary to make up stuff, as the Taycan is a reasonable EV for Porsche's first outing and could be right for the typical Porsche buyer.

Comments

• Good start for Porsche and Porsche fans.
  • Can you provide your experience with the Taycan. How long have you owned it? How many miles have you driven since you owned it? Vs how long have you owned the model S and how many miles have you driven with it?
  • How many Superchargers can the Porsche use? 😭
  • Why do we need to compare two? People who wants to drive Porsche will drive it and people who wants Tesla will own Tesla.
  • > @PteRoy said:
    > Can you provide your experience with the Taycan. How long have you owned it? How many miles have you driven since you owned it? Vs how long have you owned the model S and how many miles have you driven with it?
    >
    >

Why own a boat when you can rent this pig? I couldn't find one anywhere in Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, or Hollywood in the wild. . . not sure if they're stuck on dealer lots or what.

So I called for a test drive and found one at the stealership.

Jesus this car is one heavy pig. Not quite as fat as the Panamera, but really floaty and un-sportcar-like.

Sticker price . . . $218k. $4400/month for a lease. ha ah ah ah ha ha hah ah ha ha ha lololol ha ha lol

HARD. PASS.

https://www.beverlyhillsporsche.com/inventory/new-2020-porsche-taycan-turbo-s-turbo-s-awd-4dr-car-wp0ac2y13lsa71080
  • @PteRoy - Don't own a Taycan and zero plans to own one. Just creating a balanced view and to counter some of the FUD posted in other threads that disparage the Model S in favor of the Taycan. It's not that the Taycan is a bad EV, as it's quite good in some aspects. It doesn't seem to be at all competitive with the Model S though, but hey, it's an EV and I happy that Porsche is at least trying. Most other carmakers are not even trying.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > @PteRoy - Don't own a Taycan and zero plans to own one. Just creating a balanced view and to counter some of the FUD posted in other threads that disparage the Model S in favor of the Taycan. It's not that the Taycan is a bad EV, as it's quite good in some aspects. It doesn't seem to be at all competitive with the Model S though, but hey, it's an EV and I happy that Porsche is at least trying. Most other carmakers are not even trying.

Well I hope you get the chance to try one and then can provide a better review.

All the reviews I've seen for the turbo s have been very positive. Including someone with a 30million dollar car collection and previous tesla owner. Seems like it's for a different crowd of buyers. Out of my price range for now.
  • Lots of nonsense on both sides of this argument. Too many variables and subjective aspects to declare the ‘best’ car. TT’s compilation is a wonderful compilation for those who trying to decide.

This is Porsche. And Tesla. Both great. We will all rank and weigh each aspect in importance to our own lens.

There are no knock-out parameters. No super charging network? Less plush interior? Neither a factor for some.

I saw a Taycan in the wild the other day. Gorgeous. I looked at my S this morning. Stunning.
  • @PteRoy - Thanks. It wasn't meant to be a review but just a comparison of key metrics. Often a buying choice has little to do with all these metrics and is what you find resonates with you. Others may pour over all the cool details of both cars and look for the features they need or want at the price they can afford.

@Ohmster - Agree! The best car is one that fits your needs and desires, at a price you are happy with.
  • Why did you start another thread? Do you think its going to be any different? I guess the first 5 threads were not enough. I'll see you all 6 pages from now when the 6th thread gets created.
  • > @SamO said:
    > > @PteRoy said:
    > > Can you provide your experience with the Taycan. How long have you owned it? How many miles have you driven since you owned it? Vs how long have you owned the model S and how many miles have you driven with it?
    > >
    > >
    >
    > I couldn't find one anywhere in Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, or Hollywood in the wild. . .
    >

That is surprising. I see them routinely in my neck of the woods (north west san diego county).
  • There were a few in Santa Clarita, CA, north of LA.

I did a walk around comparison posted here in other threads with a '21 4S and my '15 MS 85D.

TT is right about the options adding a huge amount to the car price.

The one I saw was 144k MSRP.

It's a great car for Porsche fans, and is probably the best available car in production that can compete with a MS.

I think porsche tried really hard. If they created a charging network and superior support they would attract more buyers.

The jury is out on the mach E and other competitors. I don't think they have the culture, the will, and the ability to compete this late in the game.

A turbo in frost blue zipped past me on the 101 today, maybe 110 mph. Looked nimble enough for LA traffic.
  • Thanks for the detailed breakdown. I saw a Porsche Taycan pulling out of an affluent neighborhood today and thought about it. The main positives about it to me mainly are the prestige of the name, coupled with the styling and extreme customizability.
  • > @bassbone1_98264787 said:
    > Thanks for the detailed breakdown. I saw a Porsche Taycan pulling out of an affluent neighborhood today and thought about it. The main positives about it to me mainly are the prestige of the name, coupled with the styling and extreme customizability.

Most if not all are already customized by dealer. So extreme customizability is a stretch.
  • >@andy_connor_e - Why did you start another thread?

The other threads were filled with lies and hate - both for the Taycan and for the Model S. I'm sort of amazed this thread has been so diplomatic without a single lie yet. Clearly we have a higher class of posters in this thread so far! It is also nice that FISHEV and Darth have not derailed this thread yet.
  • i cant imagine how you thought that the same was not going to happen at some point here. All you need is a few fish or darth posts and everyone will lose their shit again. lol
  • @WW_Icefree “Most if not all are already customized by dealer. So extreme customizability is a stretch”

Nope. I’m no Taycan fan, but Porsche customization is real. You should take a gander through the Porsche configurator sometime. No two Porsches are the same. The list of options is amazing, and the alternates are endless. You can specify an unbelievable number of alternate stitching colors, choose from a dozen contrasting or even clashing seatbelt colors, change the dial faceplate background colors, pick from several colors for your mirror covers, add or delete multiple options for every badge and decal, literally choose every scrap of leather, wood, carbon fiber, fob cover, alternate paint color for interior bits, etc. Want special paint on your headlight windshield washer cover? It’s yours. Want to choose your wife’s latest toenail polish color as the primary color? Have at it. Okay, so the number of brake caliper color options is limited to four, and only two if you go with the $9k ceramic upgrade, but why be picky?

I just posted a rant about a recent Porsche experience elsewhere, but when it come to buying a Porsche, I cannot understand why anyone would forgo the whole girlfriend experience - custom order (even for a lowly Boxster), and factory delivery, Germany preferred, although in the U.S. only LA or Atlanta are available for the Taycan. The Porsche Delivery Experience is an irreplaceable and unforgettable part of the ownership experience in my opinion. We’ve done it twice in Germany with Porsche (and with a couple other German marques), a trip that makes for a lifetime great vacation experience. West coast delivery of our P85D in late 2014 was also enjoyable, but nowhere near the same level, partly due to California’s screwed up sales tax laws (had to take delivery in Portland and then drive to Fremont for the factory tour). Anyway, I’m told by my Porsche rep that over 80% of Porsches are customer-ordered because buyers generally want what they want and very few are used as daily drivers, so there’s little urgency. The exceptions who buy off the lot are invariably poseurs like Darth.
  • > @Pungoteague_Dave said:
    > @WW_Icefree “Most if not all are already customized by dealer. So extreme customizability is a stretch”
    >
    > Nope. I’m no Taycan fan, but Porsche customization is real. You should take a gander through the Porsche configurator sometime. No two Porsches are the same. The list of options is amazing, and the alternates are endless. You can specify an unbelievable number of alternate stitching colors, choose from a dozen contrasting or even clashing seatbelt colors, change the dial faceplate background colors, pick from several colors for your mirror covers, add or delete multiple options for every badge and decal, literally choose every scrap of leather, wood, carbon fiber, fob cover, alternate paint color for interior bits, etc. Want special paint on your headlight windshield washer cover? It’s yours. Want to choose your wife’s latest toenail polish color as the primary color? Have at it. Okay, so the number of brake caliper color options is limited to four, and only two if you go with the $9k ceramic upgrade, but why be picky?
    >
    > I just posted a rant about a recent Porsche experience elsewhere, but when it come to buying a Porsche, I cannot understand why anyone would forgo the whole girlfriend experience - custom order (even for a lowly Boxster), and factory delivery, Germany preferred, although in the U.S. only LA or Atlanta are available for the Taycan. The Porsche Delivery Experience is an irreplaceable and unforgettable part of the ownership experience in my opinion. We’ve done it twice in Germany with Porsche (and with a couple other German marques), a trip that makes for a lifetime great vacation experience. West coast delivery of our P85D in late 2014 was also enjoyable, but nowhere near the same level, partly due to California’s screwed up sales tax laws (had to take delivery in Portland and then drive to Fremont for the factory tour). Anyway, I’m told by my Porsche rep that over 80% of Porsches are customer-ordered because buyers generally want what they want and very few are used as daily drivers, so there’s little urgency. The exceptions who buy off the lot are invariably poseurs like Darth.

Nope. Bc they are already sitting on the dealer lot and whatever config they choose for you that what you will get. I don't call that very customizable.
  • edited January 14
    > @"TeslaTap.com" said: > There is quite a bit of fake information about the Taycan vs. the Model S by various Porsche fanboys."

All posted by Tesla fanbois on the Tesla factory fan site...too amusing.

It is fair to say the success of the Porsche EV has shaken the fanbois faithful. Tesla was supposed to be "decades ahead" according to fanbois canon and Tesla now finds itself a few years behind Porsche in EV tech.

https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/176957/is-the-porsche-taycan-better-than-a-tesla

https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/181058/taycan-4s-has-fastest-ever-ev-cannonball-run/p1

https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/180984/porsche-taycan-sets-record-destroys-tesla/p1
  • So you agree that $200k is the starting point for a marginally equipped Turbo S?
  • Rupert Stadler was 11 years Audi CEO, long rumored to become the new VW Group CEO and is indicted because of the Diesel scandal

Stadler about the responsible Engineers

"Camouflage and deception have long been part of a culture of work, and perhaps a culture of fear"

If they had "dropped their pants" Stadler said and revealed their knowledge back in the fall of 2015, Audi would have been spared a lot.

https://twitter.com/alex_avoigt/status/1349420484463648770?s=21
  • @WW_Icefree & @Pungoteague_Dave - You're both kinds of right. Yes, you can custom order a Taycan and wait 2-4 months to get it or pick up a pre-configured Tayan at the dealer. Hard to say which is more common. There are advantages to each approach and depends a lot on the patience of the buyer.
  • Didn't take long for the paid Porsche troll FISHEV to jump in. No one is scared of the Taycan except those pushing it as the best thing since sliced bread (it's not). Price alone narrows it's market dramatically.
  • Fishy sed:
    >>>It is fair to say the success of the Porsche EV has shaken the fanbois faithful

Well, not really. I am a card carrying Tesla fan, and I’m not shaken by the Taycan. It’s a great first attempt by a legacy automaker making the EV transition. They made a few mistakes that’ll make it a bit harder to live with than a Tesla, but that’s to be expected. Even if it were perfect, they weren’t gonna sell it to me-I don’t have that kind of coin.
    I’ll say it again-it’s perfectly fine for a $150k+ car to do most things better than my Model 3 and some things better than a model S. Heck, I hope their next EV does everything better than my Model 3 and catches up to the S. There’s lots of room for car manufacturers building quality EVs.
  • Taycan is a threat because nobody is buying it. -Guppy

This is the stuff that passes for logic in the realm of Tesla derangement.