General

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

GM is trying too hard?

At the 2021 CES
GM announced Cadillac eVTOL autonomous personal air taxi, Halo self driving pods, Bolt EUV with Super Cruise, BrightDrop EV600 (with EP1), and claims so many more in short order.

Why cant they focus on what they can deliver?

Comments

• edited January 13
    That's the way auto manufacturers roll...well the way they make it look like they are rolling. haha
  • GM is a PR company, while they pump out ICE cars to the end, Golden Parachutes are at the ready

IMHO
  • GM is grasping at straws. Their one and absolutely only goal is to get investors to start buying their stock and increase GM's, whoops I am sorry I meant gm's, value.

As blkice said, they are and have been for a very long time, a PR firm.
  • > @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > Their one and absolutely only goal is to get investors to start buying their stock

I thought you were going to say "Their ultium goal..."
  • General Moron has become a vaporware manufacturer. A disease they caught or gave to Nikola?
    Nothing in their portfolio seems to have a reasonable chance of success....? An environment destroyer (Humbuckler)? A station wagon caddy? Pouch batteries without density or longevity? Car chassis not complete? Only 30 gwh of battery capacity? 30 cars spread over that 30 gwh, or 1 gwh per vehicle available in 3 years? Nothing about saving those U.A.W. jobs? No environmental credentials? Sellers of Echo-Pacman ICE trucks? Get real, get responsible to society GM.
  • In order for these other car makers to survive they will need a charging infrastructure and so only realistic option is to have Tesla grant them access for a fee which hopefully would mean Tesla owners get it free or at discount
  • > @Calidude said:
    > In order for these other car makers to survive they will need a charging infrastructure and so only realistic option is to have Tesla grant them access for a fee which hopefully would mean Tesla owners get it free or at discount

Before that happens we need way more stalls bc it won't be enough if Tesla opens up network.
  • @WW,
    There will be no problem with more stalls if the other manufacturers pay a reasonable amount that covers increasing the number of Supercharger stalls. There may be short-term shortages but, with funding, that won't be but a short term issue.
  • > @"Earl and Nagin 08 RDS 359" said:
    > @WW,
    > There will be no problem with more stalls if the other manufacturers pay a reasonable amount that covers increasing the number of Supercharger stalls. There may be short-term shortages but, with funding, that won't be but a short term issue.

No arguing there but they are to greedy and I don't believe they are serious about EVs.
  • Talking about legacy companies and why they don't invest in Tesla network.
  • > @Calidude said:
    > In order for these other car makers to survive they will need a charging infrastructure and so only realistic option is to have Tesla grant them access for a fee which hopefully would mean Tesla owners get it free or at discount

***** excellent point Calidude. For Tesla to give up one fourth of their product differentiation (other three being range, performance and availability) they'd have to get something substantial. If they could finance mega expansion of their charging network, might be worthwhile, otherwise might be a bad move for sales volume.
  • Like everyone else, I would like to see the continued expansion of the Tesla chargers, but let's real this back a bit. Expanding existing sites is still as complex as putting in new sites. Meaning, adding more stalls to an existing site may not be as easy as you think. You still have limitations on available power on site. You also have federal/local limitations on how many additional parking spaces can be "taken away" from general parking. You also then have to get the local Zoning board permission to expand.

So in the end MG, MB, etc. can pay Tesla a trillion dollars to help expand the network, but they are still limited on how/where they can expand.
  • > @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > Like everyone else,power on site. "

"...... You also have federal/local limitations on how many additional parking spaces can be "taken away" from general parking. ..."

*******************pet peeve notice******by Bob*****************

NOT MUCH MORE STUPIDITY THAN A REQUIREMENT TO PAVE MORE LAND THAN ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY (OR DESIRED) STUPID LAW THAT LEAVES 90 PERCENT OF PARKING SPACES EMPTY FOR 9 MONTHS OF THE YEAR
    TRASHING THE ENVIRONMENT IN THE PROCESS.......

This is about as sane as using a full size 4 door pickup truck for personal one person commuting.
  • They want investors to buy there stock before it drops like a rock
  • GM...

Masters in overselling and under delivering.
  • GM...

Masters in overselling and under delivering.
  • Well, that is when they're not deliberately killing people while conspiring to cover it up.
  • Stick at least 4 charging stations at participating gas stations and the gas station and gas company get a piece of the action. Then continue to expand Superchargers at new locations and charge other car makers to use while Tesla owners get it for free. Agreed that not enough Superchargers to open to other car makers and may not be worth it to Tesla to give them access
  • Logistically and practically speaking, it's NOT worth it.
  • Seems like GM (and other ICE manufacturers) have to trade their existing business models in order to succeed with EVs. I'm not entirely convinced they can do it.

Walk into a Chevy dealership and see if anyone tries to sell you the Bolt. To a salesman, that car carries a lot more "objections to a sale" than any other vehicle on the lot. They need to make sales, and when they have to answer questions like "how do I charge it?" and "what type of electricity do I need at home?", customers don't pull the trigger... they leave to do more research.

I believe in just a few years, Tesla will be manufacturing more vehicles than GM.
  • @father_of_6

I don't think they'll have to "trade their existing business model' since they already know how to sell a car (that's all car sales are...'selling'...and they're all 'salesmen' and it's just a practiced and rehearsed dialog with some predetermined talking points), but I think they're just being reluctant to learn the new lingo because it's taboo in the auto industry to sell (or speak of) anything but ICE's.

Another part of it, I think, is 'old dog new trick' syndrome and a bit of just abstinent stubbornness.

I agree with your projection.

+1
  • At the sales rep's level, a commission is a commission. The same goes for the F&I rep. Go to any Chevy, MB, Audi dealership and they sell all brands as used cars. They just need to move/finance metal. It's the dealership owner(s) that care because the front of the house isn't where they make most of their money.

though time is money and the owners don't want to have their people tied up teaching people about EVs.
  • Compared to a twin turbo 24valve motor with variable valve timing, variable compression ratio and a 10speed automatic transmission an EV will be easy to work on. That’s a problem for dealerships and that is really sick in a lot of ways
  • @"blue adept" - I should clarify.... ICE manufacturers and their dealerships make a *lot* of money on service/maintenance/aftermarket parts. Dealerships especially... I ws surprised to learn they make more on services than sales. EVs have less maintenance, so this transition hurts their existing business model significantly.
  • Chevy bolt...ugliest EV car....another example of legacy car makers not really wanting to get into EV and none will survive without charging stations...Tesla wins...