General

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

My 2019 TESLA MODEL S STOLEN

Car was stolen out of garage. got fob inside home. The App is telling me where it is located but was not there. For 2 days Tesla support was useless until today i was helped but came back and said they can't track the car. I can change the heat, watch temperature go up and down and changed the setting to valet and sentry and set a 50 mph speed limit. I am not tech savy but do find it strange i can send signals to car but they can't find it.

Comments

• You can check in your app cars location.
  • Get police and go to it.
  • > @WW_Icefree said: > You can check in your app cars location.

> @kevcdunne123 said: > The App is telling me where it is located but was not there.
  • If the thieves cut the GPS antenna, or used a GPS jammer, the reported position will be invalid. I’d guess they used a jammer, although it surprises me that they aren’t also using an LTE jammer.

Go to the location, and use the app to honk the horn. See if you can hear it.
  • Can't Tesla locate car based on the LTE signal? Do you have FSD? Can you smart summon it if you go to reported location.
  • Good point - The police could locate the car within perhaps half a mile by using the LTE signal.
  • > @kevcdunne123 said:
    > Car was stolen out of garage. got fob inside home. The App is telling me where it is located but was not there. For 2 days Tesla support was useless until today i was helped but came back and said they can't track the car. I can change the heat, watch temperature go up and down and changed the setting to valet and sentry and set a 50 mph speed limit. I am not tech savy but do find it strange i can send signals to car but they can't find it.

Read a few comments: App shows a location but car is not there. Think car may have been there when first stolen. Police are checking cameras tomorrow. Have FSD. Won't let me summon the car. Honked horn up and down road. Mileage hasn't changed. Tesla support hit or miss, yesterday was told its not Teslas responsibility to find car. Agreed but for 91K and FSD i don't know how they can't track it. They definately don't put their findings in email. Ignored my emails from 2pm Monday till i talked to a friendly customer service agent today. 3 unanswered emails. Im betting the car is on its way to another country. I will found out tomorrow how serious the police are in finding. No finger prints were taken inside house. Love the car, but disappointed in their support.
  • If in the U.S. it won't be a GPS jammer, at least not for very long. That would get tracked and shut down real fast unless maybe if they are literally in the middle of nowhere.
  • Just for grins, did you go to the location it shows and THEN check summon capability?
  • > @derotam said:
    > Just for grins, did you go to the location it shows and THEN check summon capability?

it showed top of a 4 floor garage, same cop went twice, i went 3 times. Says summons disabled. the photo on the app has the same photo for last 3 days, i swear thats my car close to the red pointer. it tracked my footsteps exactly as i walked. pinpoint accuracy
  • Ok just double checking. I am assuming you tried to honk the horn and listen for it...and checked for Bluetooth connection however unlikely.

As others have said, the police should be able to get cell tower pings as soon as they get imei data from Tesla for the LTE sim card.
  • Makes me wonder if I should use a pin to start the car
  • > @Calidude said:
    > Makes me wonder if I should use a pin to start the car

100 percent, it takes 10 seconds once the thief is in the car to go to settings and disable.
  • > @kevcdunne123 said:
    > > @Calidude said:
    > > Makes me wonder if I should use a pin to start the car
    >
    > 100 percent, it takes 10 seconds once the thief is in the car to go to settings and disable.

What is this supposed to mean?
  • The location wouldn't get updated if the car were not being driven, like if it were put on a flatbed trailer and towed.
  • Wouldn't disconnecting the 12V battery shut down cell signal and any tracking?
  • > @kevcdunne123 said:
    > > @Calidude said:
    > > Makes me wonder if I should use a pin to start the car
    >
    > 100 percent, it takes 10 seconds once the thief is in the car to go to settings and disable.

Gonna Need some ebumucation on this statement
  • > @hgmichna said:
    >>>it takes 10 seconds once the thief is in the car to go to settings and disable.
    > What is this supposed to mean?
    A thief in the car with the key fob nearby (or using a Key Fob Relay or something similar) has the ability to go into settings and disable remote access - which means your Tesla app will no longer work. By enabling PIN-to-Drive, just having the Fob nearby is not sufficient to start the car - you also have to know and enter the PIN code.

What I find interesting about this situation is that the GPS appears to be disabled, but the LTE connection isn't. I don't know of a way to do that without cutting wires. If I had to guess, the thieves drove it to the top of the parking garage to make sure they weren't being followed, disabled the GPS by cutting a wire but made a mistake and didn't cut the wire to disable LTE. Then they either drove off somewhere or put the car on a flatbed. The car would continue to report it's last position, but it wouldn't be there. I doubt that they flatbedded it, because the most obvious way to disable position reporting and LTE in that case is to disconnect the battery as Fishev notes.

Tesla won't be able to help; they may be able to talk to the car, but the car can't tell them where it is. Only the police have the authority to subpoena the data from the cell phone companies to be able to triangulate the car's approximate position.
  • @frank99 GPS isn't operational unless the car is on and possibly being in Drive. The LTE is on at some interval to check in for updates. It also must be active for you to be able to get remote access from the app even if the car is "asleep"
  • > @derotam said: > GPS isn't operational unless the car is on and possibly being in Drive."

Nope. App shows car position in Park.
  • derotam could be correct; the GPS was operational and knew what your position was when you put it in Park. If it then shutdown, and the car continued to report it's last know position, 99% of the time you couldn't tell the difference.
    Only by transporting the car on a flatbed could you tell whether the GPS was operational or not in Park. Maybe derotam remembers someone reporting on this.
  • Just curious if your garage door was open. If not, I guess they specifically targeted your car and broke into your garage.
  • Position does not show up on ferry.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > Position does not show up on ferry.

I screwed with Onstar years ago. They screwed up and programmed it wrong so it had to be fixed. I drove the car on the beach by Cape Canaveral and called them to check and they they must have read something wrong since they thought I was in Canada.

@Bighorn, does it know the location when you go thru the Washington-Baltimore, Lincoln or other long tunnels?
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @derotam said: > GPS isn't operational unless the car is on and possibly being in Drive."
    >
    > Nope. App shows car position in Park.
    >
    The app may show a position but it remains the last location that car was in drive. You need to stop stating made up shit so confidently.