Model S

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

NHTSA tells Tesla to fix it - via recall

Comments

• > @jimglas_98269389 said:
    > > @WW_Icefree said:
    > > > @jimglas_98269389 said:
    > > > upgrade was done in my garage by mobile service in about an hour
    > >
    > > Mcu update? Are you in CA?
    > ------------------------
    > yes, in Colorado
    >

That's nice. I don't believe they offer that for GA owners.
  • SC manager can provide discount on the cost of MCU2 upgrade (if asked nicely and they are willing to help).

Last November, I got the MCU2 upgrade on my Model S for $1900 + tax. Full replacement (main screen + IC).
  • > @avesraggiana said:

> EEEEK!!! Pricey! I was hoping the price to upgrade had come down. Just got a notice saying that I would need to bring our Model S75D in to the Service Centre. No Mobile Service.
    >
    > We also have a late 2018 Model X100D. The MCU2 really is superior to the MCU1, there’s a definite difference.
    >
    > Thanks for your response.
    >

Yes definitely pricey, but it made the car much better. The reboots, blackouts, delayed start, etc were a real pain. I did not want to wait for complete failure and then have to wait for an appointment or parts to get it fixed. I suspect the line for eMMC repair or MCU upgrade will start getting longer.

I didn't expect it, but the $2500 included a new IC and FSD computer. I don't have FSD, but I do have EAP. I can see all the renderings of traffic lights, street signs, markings etc.

Good Luck
  • 2017 MS100D, 32000 miles. I posted earlier my horrible experience over the past several months with continual blackout of the MCU and the instrument panel. I was continually assured that mine was a firmware problem which would be solved by the next upgrade. It never was. No one could explain why, since every MS has the identical firmware, everyone does not have this issue. My local service center finally agreed to replace my MCU with a rebuilt replacement identical to the one I have now. I refused, as I am already on my second MCU and don't want the same junk reinstalled. He then offered the new model for half price. But I am a news junkie and can't live without Sat radio and that as the car is under warranty I won't pay a nickel for this problem to be finally resolved.

In exasperation I wrote Jerome Guillen and asked for help. A factotum got back to me in pretty short order and explained they were really sorry to hear I was having such difficulty. "Our senior engineers have studied your logs and this is a software firmware problem which should be solved by the next update. In the meantime, you can always do a temporary fix by pulling off the road and doing a scroll wheel reset." I exploded, to say the least, and wroye back a blow by blow accounting of the same runaround I have been getting for months. I told him I was selling the car and ordering a Porsche the next day unless they resolve this to my satisfaction. He immediately wrote back and agreed to install the new model MCU and include the satellite radio module at no charge.

This was a few days ago. I get it installed on Tuesday. And then today the Wall Street Journal article appears explaining that this is a well-known issue which Tesla has claimed his software related and which experience reveals is not.

I am pleased that Tesla is finally doing the right thing but I should not have had to gone through what I did to get them to do this. A MS owning friend just told me "This has been known about for a few months already. It's why Tesla began replacing the MCUs at a greatly discounted price and providing a 2-yr warranty (2 years is laughable when they were replacing failed MCUs with identical MCU-1 units)."

They apparently hoped that this maneuver could head off this recall, but it didn't. If Tesla now addresses it by doing the Intel upgrade for free, then many will have wasted a lot of money. AND I'm not sure how they could address it by continuing to replace them with nvidia Tegra units because that is exactly what's being recalled for safety concerns, plus those are no longer being manufactured. When they replace them under warranty, they install a used and rebuilt MCU, and there can't be 150,000 of those available. And each already has a history of failure.

It does appear that Tesla was trying to get me to swallow a load of horse hockey, possibly at the direction of Fremont HQ. "Firmware upgrade will fix it," my achin' ass."

Maybe this will teach Tesla Service a lesson: when you know you've screwed up royally, the cheapest solution is to own it and do the right thing by issuing a voluntary recall and just effing fix it, ESPECIALLY when it's limited to your premium models, ferchristsake. Their duplicity on this was revoltingly shortsighted and, worst of all, mean-spirited. This forced recall will cost them a lot more than the parts and labor to fix 150,000 cars. The Director of Service will probably be "leaving" Tesla Motors. But I wouldn't be surprised it this was an Elon Musk decision.

As a wise Hungarian banker once told me after I was trying to explain why a deal had not gone well: "Success needs no explanation and failure has none."
  • My price was $2500 with both screens replaced. I think the $2250 price is reusing the main screen which is only an option on newer cars. That includes labor, but not sales tax.

From the letter sent to all MCU1 owners, it appears Tesla may give a rebate to those that upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2. My guess is it may be in the $300-500 range (i.e. the cost of a new daughter board to fix MCU1).
  • Well, I think the secret sauce has just been found. We all need to rant and explode and threaten to buy a Porsche, and we will be offered an install of the new model MCU and include the satellite radio module at no charge. After all, no one is more deserving of free stuff than anyone else, huh?
  • I paid for the MCU 2 which included two new screens about 7 months ago. Service told me they will do a rebate of around $450.
    Now the car has all the goodies our M3 FSD has
    Great service and a great deal.
    Isn't this old news about a $60 Chip that got overused by some owners?
  • i have a 2015 Tesla model S 85D what do i get when
    upgrade to MCU2
  • Maybe some reliability. You lose all radio and Sat radio unless you spring for a $500 radio module. Nice, huh?
  • akiki: Yep!
  • > @Mike83 said:
    > Isn't this old news about a $60 Chip that got overused by some owners?

No, it's an update of news about a chip that wears out and makes the car unsafe in 100% of vehicles with MCU1.
  • Tesla, I want to pay 1,5k to upgrade to MCU2 before Government makes you to do it for free. Let's do it!
  • Literally just pushed the "buy" button on a used 2017 100D. Any idea on if will come with the upgrade or should I schedule a $2500 fix before I even take delivery?
  • > @ToddC said:
    > Literally just pushed the "buy" button on a used 2017 100D. Any idea on if will come with the upgrade or should I schedule a $2500 fix before I even take delivery?

It will NOT come with the upgrade, unless the seller had gotten the upgrade at their own cost.
  • > @barrykmd said:
    > > @Mike83 said:
    > > Isn't this old news about a $60 Chip that got overused by some owners?
    >
    > No, it's an update of news about a chip that wears out and makes the car unsafe in 100% of vehicles with MCU1.
    >
    >

I have close to 100,000 miles in MCU1 with no issues even if the screen goes out.
    Don't see how this is unsafe. In fact this is the safest and most reliable cars I have ever driven. FUD is pervasive.
    I got the MCU2 for the FSD visual enhancements and YouTube and Netflix. BTW Internet radio works fine.
    Of course I understand the short position is growing so we have new smarty pants shorts coming up it seems. You shorts may need to lose more than the $40 billion you already gave us. But I don't mind. Go ahead.
  • > @akikiki said:
    > Well, I think the secret sauce has just been found. We all need to rant and explode and threaten to buy a Porsche, and we will be offered an install of the new model MCU and include the satellite radio module at no charge. After all, no one is more deserving of free stuff than anyone else, huh?

What if they call our bluff?

How will I afford the CT on order?
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > My price was $2500 with both screens replaced. I think the $2250 price is reusing the main screen which is only an option on newer cars. That includes labor, but not sales tax.
    >
    > From the letter sent to all MCU1 owners, it appears Tesla may give a rebate to those that upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2. My guess is it may be in the $300-500 range (i.e. the cost of a new daughter board to fix MCU1).

No sir, the $2,250 was a full replacement last October for a friend with a 2015 85D.

The rebate for upgraders should be $1900, because that's what the original replacement cost was. Most upgraded because it made absolutely no sense to replace the screen with the original for only $800 less when knowing it would fail for similar reasons.

The daughter board price came about, because competitors were replacing daughter boards for much less. Like any other company that wants to make a profit, Tesla dropped their prices and said "hey we can do that too"

I've questioned the replacement process way back in 2016 or 2017. I've said the whole screen replacement was ridiculous when they can just replace the board.

They've been charging $1900-$4000 to replace MCU1 units and all they have done is swap out the daughter board. The "service center is not a profit center" nonsense has been debunked. The profit on these replacements were insanely high.
  • > @Mike83 said:
    > Don't see how this is unsafe.

Read the government's report. They list hundreds of reports and studies that show how unsafe the loss of several features/controls are.
  • > @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > I have read the report and one of the biggest things the ODI cites as a safety item is the lack of a functioning rear camera.. So here is the problem with that, back up cameras were not mandated on cars until model year 2018. So not having a functioning rear camera doesn't make the cars not meeting federal safety standards that were in place at the time of manufacture. Are we going to do a recall on all cars from 1991 back, because they didn't have the airbags in the driver's steering wheel as was required starting in 1992....... ?

To be fair, they also mentioned lack of defrost, which is a huge safety issue when you can't see anything.

You're right about the back-up camera, but people have become dependent upon it and since the car came with it, it should be functioning as designed.

The screen also has a function to get out of situations where we can be stuck in snow. We can't raise the car in situation where it is needed to pass safely. There is also the manual lock feature on the screen used at a supercharger to safely lock yourself in the car in poorly lit areas and when you're not feeling safe in certain neighborhoods.

These issues are due to Tesla needing to keep costs down, because the cars were so pricey to build with little cash flow. Musk admitted that he thought Tesla would not last and the partners at the time didn't think they would sell more than 10k cars in their lifetime.

They did succeed and now that Tesla has over 20bil in cash, they should fix the issues they caused.
  • Silver, I was pointing out that they seemed to make it like the camera issue was the biggest safety issue.

What people become dependent on, doesn't make it a safety item. I depend on the car staring in the morning.......

I agree with the fogging up of the windshield because you can not drive a car with no visibility through the windshield. I can and have backed up my car without the rear camera coming on. Sure it took some extra effort, meaning looking all around for people, but I did it. Just like everyone here did when they had cars without cameras.
  • > @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > Silver, I was pointing out that they seemed to make it like the camera issue was the biggest safety issue.
    >
    > What people become dependent on, doesn't make it a safety item. I depend on the car staring in the morning.......
    >
    > I agree with the fogging up of the windshield because you can not drive a car with no visibility through the windshield. I can and have backed up my car without the rear camera coming on. Sure it took some extra effort, meaning looking all around for people, but I did it. Just like everyone here did when they had cars without cameras.

I get what you're saying. I rarely use the camera and would not trust it for side views.
  • Oh, I use the camera all the time. Admittedly before getting my car, the notion of having / using a back camera to me was lazy. However, I realized how much better it was because you can see the whole picture of what is going on behind you, versus just over your right shoulder. However, that doesn't mean I forgot how to do things manually by stopping to look over my left shoulder and the driver's side mirror.

What has been and continues to happen is that more and more people become so dependent/complacent on aides that they think everything is a safety issue because they don't know how to function without the aides.

Air bags and traction control and ABS are indeed aides, but they do things that we humanly couldn't do. Driving a car without cruise control, AP (TACC) and back up cameras do functions that we can do.
  • "Driving a car without cruise control, AP (TACC)...."

woah woah woah! easy hoss!

every time I lose those functions due to snow I have to manually do stuff and it seems I forgot how to!🤣
  • Parts availability for MC2 upgrade? I ordered the upgrade in late November and the service center placed the order on December 10, and the part has not arrived as of 1/15/21. The $500 digital radio did arrive.

Are others experiencing the unavailability of the MC2? Any suggestions?