General

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Is the Porsche Taycan better than a Tesla?

Comments

• Hmmm ... now why would the need to discount a vehicle so drastically?
  • > @"Daisy the Road Rocket" said:
    > Hmmm ... now why would the need to discount a vehicle so drastically?

Must be selling very well /s
  • You are finally “wrong” about that $200,000 Taycan @Bighorn and it only took about 2 years. ;-)
  • Yes...Porsche Taycan is STILL the best car, much less the best EV in the world.
  • @SamO

Lol, but I only ever said it about the Turbo S
  • Taycan is better at depreciation
  • > @lbowroom said: > At what, staying on the dealer lot unsold?"

Local dealer had 12 and sold half in last month so a cool $2.5M in Taycan sales in 30 days.

Taycan is a hot seller and big money maker for Porsche.
  • so $417,000 average price each? sweet!
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > Yes...Porsche Taycan is STILL the best car, much less the best EV in the world.
    —————————-
    It’s fastest, goes farthest
    Swims like a submarine
    And flies!
  • $417k is a lot.
  • I like submarines

And pancakes
  • And turtles
  • In fairness, a couple things from a Taycan critic:

I was just able to configure a very nice 2wd base Taycan with premium paint, the extra passenger screen, and a full bevy of extras like 4-zone heated seats, largest battery, insulated quiet/thermal glass, seat ventilation, ionizer, adaptive cruise, InnoDrive, surround view cameras, panoramic glass, dynamic lighting, premium package, all for $106k. With the exception of AWD and the acceleration/speed, I'd say a more advanced car with more range and way more features than the 2014 P85D we bought for $132k. In my opinion, the $106k Taycan that I configured is worth all the money and is nicely equipped at that price - fully customized with upscale green paint, better windows and seats and interior than available on any Tesla - and it is a Porsche. I would buy that $106k Taycan if in the market - and it is really only $98k after the $7,500 tax credit, which is no longer available to a Tesla buyer. So the $200k meme is over. You can buy a very nice Taycan for under $100k, all-in.

Second, the uprated EPA range estimate for the Taycan 4S just happened and it is clear that Porsche essentially undersold range, using the worst combination of car and tires to get to the 195 number for the "turbo" - so while the 227 EPA range is still not comparable to Tesla, and Taycan efficiency remains bottom of the pack, it is nowhere near as bad as some of us have been thinking or pushing on this forum. The base model hasn't been rated yet, but it is lighter without the forward motor, so may be even better on range.

I'm not renewing my order at this point, but Porsche is incrementally getting there after a rocky roll-out. I'm starting to see Taycans virtually every day in the Boca-to-Palm Beach stretch of 95 and A1a, and they do look damn good.

Tesla needs to up its game quickly, especially with interiors. Perhaps the rumored refresh will do the trick. Tesla is still well in the lead, but other marques know how to make better screwed-together and finished cars, and EV's aren't hard once you solve battery and software. Obviously VAG still has a way to go, but they aren't fooling around, and the Taycan, now at half the price we saw at intro, should turn more heads now that price and range are less of an issue.
  • @Pungoteague_Dave

All well and good, but it’s no longer 2014 and the current $69,420 Model S crushes what you bought 7 years ago for $132k, I’m surmising. Now if there were a space time discontinuity, the Porsche may have a chance.

Also,
    https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-refresh-plaid-spy-photos/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Time stands still for no car company. That and pretty soon, Tesla will likely get the $7500 credit back if they don’t means test it.
  • > @Pungoteague_Dave > So the $200k meme is over. “

It never existed. You have to load up the top model to get to $200k.
  • Correction. You have to keep options to a minimum to keep the top model under $200k. None of the car mag editors configured their desired car for under $200k.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > Correction. You have to keep options to a minimum to keep the top model under $200k. None of the car mag editors configured their desired car for under $200k.

At least there is finally a loaded Toycan that can be purchased under $200,000.

Meanwhile, tri-motor Plaid Model S will be the quickest, fastest production car on the planet with over 500 miles of range, a worldwide charging network and Full Self Driving for under $150,000.

Bye bye Porsche. Don't forget to turn out the lights out and closer the door when you get to bankruptcy. And don't let the corinthian door hit ya' where the good lord split ya'.
  • I was surprised no one did a line-by-line comparison with the 2021 Model S P100D adn Plaid and the 2021 Taycans. I did this a few weeks ago:
    https://teslatap.com/taycan-vs-model-s/

I was stunned that the Taycan 4S requires $29,719 worth of options that are included for free in the Model S P100D. The Taycans are clearly very poorly equipped. Even the charging cable is extra!

Do you want a fully loaded Taycan 4S? The price goes from $103K to a whopping $209K! This is not even the Turbo 4S.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > @Pungoteague_Dave
    >
    > All well and good, but it’s no longer 2014 and the current $69,420 Model S crushes what you bought 7 years ago for $132k, I’m surmising. Now if there were a space time discontinuity, the Porsche may have a chance.
    >
    > Also,
    > https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-refresh-plaid-spy-photos/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
    >
    >
    > Time stands still for no car company. That and pretty soon, Tesla will likely get the $7500 credit back if they don’t means test it.

The new P model that Pungoteague_Dave has starts at $84,990, not $69,420.
  • My 2013 P was rated 0-60 at 4.4 seconds. Now the basic LR is much quicker, by about a second. Apples to apples. Basic stuff. The cheap Taycan is downright slow. 5.1 sec. Nice try.
  • *4.2 sec
  • But its a turbo!
  • > @Bighorn said: > Correction. You have to keep options to a minimum to keep the top model under $200k.”

Which still disproves your claim of $200k as you three Taycan Models under that, check out this loaded green Turbo in Bellevue for $188k.

https://www.porschebellevue.com/new/Porsche/2020-Porsche-Taycan-e1735c170a0d04fe5cda681e63dcbb1b.htm

Not sure why that $200k number was so important to you but it was so wrong it required an intervention.