Model 3

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

SR+ in 2 weeks. Or wait up to 3-4 months for AWD LR

So I have an order placed for an SR+ blue w/ white interior estimated delivery Mid March.

Deciding whether to do an order for an AWD LR instead and hope it comes in the next shipment. Website estimate is 8-12 weeks (how accurate is this?).

Couple of decisions to make
- Have a bit of range anxiety I do about a 160-mile trip 1-2 times a week to the coast. There are superchargers and destination chargers at one end but rather not have to charge till I get home.

- Weather and temp isn't really an issue for me because I live on the east coast of Australia where in winter the coldest it gets is around 10c or 50F that's probably less than a week a year. Usually 28+ or 79F all year and never snows.

- Audio, not a deal-breaker for me but still a consideration doing these road trips each week to the coast.

- Acceleration. Just fun factor, in saying that I've never owned a fast car before the fastest car I've probably driven is a 9 sec 0-100 SUV. Though have been a passenger in my mates M3 AWD before didn't get a full pull off in the city probably 0-35 and it was head back against seat quick for me.

- Price. Is worth the extra 20k AUD nearly 16k usd?

Cheers,
Super excited to get in one either way 😬.

Comments

• Go LR.
  • Yep LR. I love the premium sound. Use it every drive. Having extra range and acceleration is nice too. You’re looking at a time diff of 10 weeks for what will be a significant purchase. Just tell yourself it’ll be worth it. Because it really will.
  • Unhelpful and miserable. Flagged.
  • Imagine not even owning a Tesla and coming in here to talk shit about it. Sad sad life
  • If it’s a 160mile round trip, then you’re fine with either model. If it’s 160 miles each way, then you’re definitely better off with a LR.

LR is good value for the extra dollars; but extra range and features don’t mean a thing if you don’t need them.
  • Get the AWD. The audio is amazing, the extra miles will always come in handy, and the quicker acceleration is super fun. You will not regret it!
  • LR. I do a 135 miles round trip daily. Took delivery Dec 19, 2020 and the OD is already in excess of 6700 miles. With the added capacity of the LR model I have enough battery that if I have errands to run throughout the day I know I will still have a comfortable range left to get home. The premium audio is just icing on the cake when it comes to the drive.
  • LR, not just for the extra range but also for the faster charging speeds. When calculating your range requirements you should understand that the rated range of the car is overstated. Tesla's are charged to 90% most of the time to protect the battery, charging to 100% is something you do only if you absolutely have to. On the other end subtract 25 miles to give you a comfortable margin to get to your destination. Superchargers aren't nearly as common as gas stations so you can't drive the car until it's on empty, you want to give yourself a good reserve. The other thing is speed and weather, cars use a lot more energy at 80MPH then they do at 55MPH and if it rains there is more drag which also reduces range. The LR AWD is absolutely fine for roadtrips, before COVID I did 5 or 6 thousand mile of road trips with no range anxiety at all, but I wouldn't have been able to do all of them with an SR+.
  • LR if you can.
  • > @father_of_6 said:
    > Can't go wrong either way. My opinion though... if you're already going to spend $36k, the extra $11k is worth it for dual motors, longer range, premium interior, better resale value, and higher likelihood of success when evading the police.

Also has faster charging rate at super chargers.
  • > @M3phan said:
    > Unhelpful and miserable. Flagged.

Who did you flag? I don't see a Fish post.
  • > @triumphbob said:
    > > @M3phan said:
    > > Unhelpful and miserable. Flagged.
    >
    > Who did you flag? I don't see a Fish post.

The flagged post has been removed. There is a new troll called intel something or other, he might be Fish or he could be someone new. I lean towards the theory that he's a different person because his posts are entirely negative, Fish was more nuanced than that.
  • > @bjrosen said:
    > > @triumphbob said:
    > > > @M3phan said:
    > > > Unhelpful and miserable. Flagged.
    > >
    > > Who did you flag? I don't see a Fish post.
    >
    > The flagged post has been removed. There is a new troll called intel something or other, he might be Fish or he could be someone new. I lean towards the theory that he's a different person because his posts are entirely negative, Fish was more nuanced than that.

It seems awfully quick for moderation removing the post, did it get up to 10 flags? Just curious.
  • You want AWD if in Queensland. Roads are slick in the torrential rains, especially if you go into the Daintree. AWD is worth it on so is longer range.
  • SR+ is more than enough. If you get the long range, you'd be spending a LOT of extra money for many things you won't need. I've done 1000+ mile road trips in SR+ with no worries at all.
    I suppose the only issue would be that the AUSSIE supercharger network is not as robust as in the USA.
  • I went with the LR and have never had a single regret about the added range, the faster acceleration, and the superior sound system. I was pretty sure if I had gone with the SR to save money (and not an inconsiderable amount of money, by the way), I would have ended up regretting it as long as I owned the car.
  • For a 160 mile round trip with no recharging opportunity at one end, the better choice is the LR.

I have the SR+ and with 100% charge to begin the trip, you should be able to make it, but you will get a warning message when the available range drops below 30 miles. In the cold winter months with cabin heat on, it could be a challenge to make the entire round trip on a full charge.

As others have pointed out, there are other benefits besides ranget that can justify the higher LR price The better audio system and better acceleration are both tangible benefits that should enhance the driving experience.
  • > @triumphbob said:
    > > @M3phan said:
    > > Unhelpful and miserable. Flagged.
    >
    > Who did you flag? I don't see a Fish post.

Just seeing your question now. It got appropriately pulled fast.