Model S

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

The T turns Six...Any Signs of Aging?

Comments

• edited March 2016
    Model S 85D, one year old, 11,755 miles. First annual service, replaced trunk lid power strut (was sticky in cold wet weather) and changed floor mats to version 3.

Tire wear even all round with 6 mm tread left. No alignment needed.
  • edited March 2016
    Our S85 13,xxx will be 3 years old in June and has almost exactly 30,000 miles. Mostly minor issues like 12 volt battery and new Michelins to replace Goodyears. But just got this email a couple of days ago:

"Tesla vehicles are equipped with telematics systems to provide remote diagnostics support. We have been notified this vehicle has been remotely diagnosed that the Power Switch and Power Supply would benefit from the latest generation components."

That is being proactive!

And I guess that "power supply" doesn't actually mean a new battery (!!!), but will find out when it goes in for service (with loaner) in 2 weeks.
  • edited March 2016
    @moorelin
    It's the contactor upgrade most likely.
  • edited March 2016
    Like "Tola" and "Simply Red" I am at the one year mark this month with my 85D, 11K miles. As Tola said, my car is faster and more capable than when I bought it. He has had his share of issues though: Sunroof seal had to be replaced, and some minor wind noise corrected. Oh yeah, and a replacement front motor-
    The SC in Denver has been great and everything has been rectified to my full satisfaction. As soon as Tesla comes out with a pick-up model, I will sell my remaining ICE.
  • edited March 2016
    @Bighorn

agree
  • edited March 2016
    3 Years old, almost exactly. 2013 P85 75K miles. Battery pack replaced at 30K, Rear window cable broke a couple of times. The last incident had to pay for it since I was out of warranty.
    Lots of tires :)
    I love the car, I'm ruined for anything else.
  • edited March 2016
    "ziggy | March 15, 2016
    Rear window cable broke a couple of times. The last incident had to pay for it since I was out of warranty."

How much did it cost?
  • edited March 2016
    My carbon fiber decor trim on the dash appears to be discoloring underneath the vents. I've been waiting over a month for Tesla to locate the parts, apparently nobody in the country (including the factory that makes the cars) has any. And what kind of carbon fiber discolors over time? Not <i>real</i> carbon fiber, I can tell you that much...

Oh and those of you with CF spoilers, it doesn't appear to be real CF either. The finish will eventually rub off from simple air resistance. I've had mine replaced already once for this, and now the newly installed spoiler is unsticking on the driver's side.

I think my third drive unit is starting to buzz at low speed now...

Gotta love Tesla "quality"...
  • edited March 2016
    17K miles and 1.3 years on my S85 VIN 59600. Went through 1 milling drive unit, they removed those pesky insects along with the unit and gave me a new one, at no cost, and in 2 days. Also a hoarse claxon was replaced, but I think it was my fault driving over a shallow flooded area. Also at no cost. I had to align the wheels as the camber had been lost a little due to a little spirited driving on my part (I paid for that). Some rattle on the drivers seat, nothing major. Overall is definitely a great car. The paint job is the best of all cars Ive owned, and cheapo ICE that we bought almost at the same time looks 5 years older. I have not waxed my tesla for the 1st time yet.

The best testimonial in my case? I am expecting our second Model S. It will replace that ICE and my trusty 85 will go to my wife.

Is that good. I hope Tesla keeps afloat. I really dont want to ever again drive an ICE.

GR
  • edited March 2016
    17K miles and 1.3 years on my S85 VIN 59600. Went through 1 milling drive unit, they removed those pesky insects along with the unit and gave me a new one, at no cost, and in 2 days. Also a hoarse claxon was replaced, but I think it was my fault driving over a shallow flooded area. Also at no cost. I had to align the wheels as the camber had been lost a little due to a little spirited driving on my part (I paid for that). Some rattle on the drivers seat, nothing major. Overall is definitely a great car. The paint job is the best of all cars Ive owned, and cheapo ICE that we bought almost at the same time looks 5 years older. I have not waxed my tesla for the 1st time yet.

The best testimonial in my case? I am expecting our second Model S. It will replace that ICE and my trusty 85 will go to my wife.

Is that good. I hope Tesla keeps afloat. I really dont want to ever again drive an ICE.

GR
  • edited March 2016
    Thanks, everyone, for your excellent reports!
  • edited November -1
    We need to educate more owners that quoting their 90% and 100% charge range doesn't mean anything about the health or capacity of the battery.
  • edited March 2016
    After two+ years no oil or gas leaks, no muffler ash, no radiator problems, no catalytic converter issue or tailpipe discoloration, and my garage has never been this clean without gasoline, exhaust or oil smells.
    The car is still new. Just got an upgrade via WiFi. On my second set of tires. Leather still smells great too.
  • edited November -1
    My 85D 74427 is 355 days old I have 70,000 kms on her I am currently on a road trip and am in Florida now some 2000 + kms from home. As you all know my car has improved a great deal via updates. I have not had any problems with motors or handles or rattles or batteries. I supercharged recently to 100% and had 423 kms of range that's 260 miles. Used up 1 set of 4 tires , I live in Quebec and this car is by far the best winter car I have ever driven snow and ice are simply no match for tesla D models. I have never driven a new car as much as this tesla and by the time I get home to Quebec I will have only 5000 miles of warranty left in 1 year of ownership. I'm very impressed with this beautiful car
    Cheers
  • edited March 2016
    Our 2015 S85D has 58,000 km (36,000 miles) and we have had no issues at all. Weirdly it still charges to 432 km (268 miles). I keep the car in a heated garage and it's always plugged in btw. I charge to 90% in the winter and 80% in the summer ... plus range charging every other week roughly. Lots of Supercharges too.

We also drive everywhere including into charger deserts, into the mountains, trips in the cold ... just takes a bit of planning. Won't ever buy ICE again!
  • edited March 2016
    vin 2859 late 2012 delivery. Almost 40000 miles. No major issues. Several trips from SF Bay area to Pagosa Springs CO and one icey trip through Oregon mountains at 0 degrees! With lots of snow. Dual drive would have helped, but we made it through without incident while many cars were in ditches.
    Currently in the PA shop to fix rear door handles. They have suddenly decided to open the door with no request by us! Spooky! And obviously dangerous. One Tesla employee said they had this problem. Have not heard of others seeing this problem.
    Generally the car gets better with new software releases.
    Since purchasing in 2012 we have been treated like honored guests. The Menlo Park and now the Palo Alto staff have been great. We are still thrilled with the car and the support. Is there a model 3 in our future? Seems likely.
  • edited November -1
    @reitman
    Phantom door opening has been reported by many early vintage owners. I think it's a presentation adjustment issue likely addressed with a new unit.
  • edited April 2016
    T
  • edited April 2016
    Mine too has just past 2 year mark with 28K miles on it. Still flawless and drives like a charm. No issues whatsoever except SC decided to replace the DU when I took car to its first annual service and mentioned a drone noise at highway speed. I was in another car yesterday following my wife who's driving this opticoated and just washed pearl white. I kept on saying to myself what a beautiful car. There is absolutely no sign of aging.
  • edited April 2016
    T is in for second annual service. No issues so far. Decided to do LTE upgrade. 20,000 miles.

Ogled Model X, many on lot in San Diego. They are slammed getting every one of them ready.

Drove first loaner home, silver 85 in 13,000 VIN range. Only 16,000 miles so someone's garage queen. Compared loaner air suspension with our coils.
  • edited April 2016
    My S85 turned two in March also....vin 30,xxx....46.000 mi.....I've had issues, but no inconvenience or expense, which is what really counts. My 90% has never been more than 232...now it varies between 228 and 231. I've really enjoyed the whole Tesla experience.
  • edited April 2016
    Second annual service resulted in replacement of brake line chafed by rubbing of fender liner. Good safety item catch by San Diego Service Center.

Also, replacement of suspension bolts, and LTE upgrade. Map tiles now materializing much faster. Will be useful for upcoming California Wine Mountain trip May 15.
  • edited May 2016
    Claudia, My 2 year service was last week and was a pretty similar experience. I got my first loaner, and it was a little older than my car (around 24K VIN with 40K miles)! It was also an S85 in the classic dark green color. It had a few extra interior options mine doesn't have, like leather seats, pano roof, and air suspension. I didn't care about those much, but the air suspension was pretty cool. Certainly not something I would actually want, for reliability reasons, though.

They did change out my drivetrain for noise, though. I'll have to check my invoice to see if they changed the 12V battery. If not, I'm still on my original from over 2 years ago.
  • edited May 2016
    @Rocky H,
    That is proactive to replace drive train, especially since service center isn't exactly close to you!

Glad to be able to tell Consumer Reports the car has been very reliable, just one door handle and small parts replaced.
  • edited May 2016
    Tomorrow my S60 turns 3 years old. I just crossed 27,000 miles, VIN 9,xxx. Red, coil suspension, black roof, tech package, leather. No issues. I don't go for annual inspections. 12V battery replaced after Tesla emailed me saying they want to replace it before it went bad (much better service than my dad's Fit EV whose 12V battery died when parked at the Philadelphia airport, and he returned to a dead car) Just installed a lacewood yacht floor. Happy to be starting to see a few more Model S here in the Atlantic City area now.