I test drove the blue S at the Palo Alto test drive event today and found the acceleration surprisingly underwhelming. I'm wrestling with how this could be true after all the fabulous reports from other drivers. The car I was in was ostensibly a Performance model according to the folks working there, although after reviewing my photos, I noticed there was no rear spoiler. I'm fairly certain it had the black interior with red piping though. I certainly wouldn't describe the acceleration as sluggish, but it didn't feel like 4.4s; it felt more like 5.6s. I gunned it several times during my drive, and it didn't have the instant punch I was expecting. It seemed to accelerate like a Trans Am during the first second or two, and then something kicked in which caused it to pick up the pace. Maybe there's something wrong with that particular unit.
I've been struggling all day with what might have happened, and there are a few caveats that might help explain...
1. I didn't actually clock my 0-60 time, so I don't really know how long it took me to get to 60. I've driven in other cars that will do 0-60 in 4.4 though, and this didn't feel like 4.4. (I know...not very scientific.)
2. It could be that my perception was altered because all the usual performance cues (engine sounds, body movement, road feedback) were missing. The ride was incredibly quiet and smooth.
3. The Palo Alto route was really bad for testing acceleration when I was on it. Most of it is composed of narrow, single-lane roads with cyclists peppering the shoulder throughout most of the route, so it was a bit unnerving sustain high speeds for any length of time. Most of my acceleration was limited to what I would consider short bursts.
4. When driving at high speeds, I never took my eyes off the road enough to get a glimpse of my max speed on the spedometer. I should've had my copilot monitor and report that to me.
5. Either I wasn't really driving a Performance model, or maybe there was something wrong with it.
Did anyone else drive that particular vehicle (Palo Alto, Blue, Performance, No spoiler, Black interior) today and come away with the same impression?
I'm thinking about going back tomorrow to see if they can shoehorn me in for another drive.