Forums

Model S + Honda 240v Generator = Unlimited range?

Model S + Honda 240v Generator = Unlimited range?

I'm concerned about the range of the Model S which might limit it's suitability for road trips. Would it be possible to have a trailer hitch with hitch-platform and carry a Honda 240v generator and somehow power the car while driving at highway speeds? I know that this would not look sexy, but it would provide me a level of comfort that I could use the car for more than 160-200 mile trips.

Thanks.

ST70 | 29 September, 2015
brec | 29 September, 2015

@notblueclk, re "There are only three places on the US map where you don't have access to either a Tesla Supercharger or a Level 3 CHAdeMO: Texas (West by El Paso), North Dakota, and West Virginia."

I'm not sure what you mean by "places," but in considering cross-country trips I encounter: I80 in the state of Nebraska -- the entire state has ONE CHAdeMO at a Nissan dealer; the state of Iowa has ONE Supercharger at its western border; and what would be your Level 3-accessible route from, say, Cleveland to Boston?

Source: Plugshare

teslamonterey | 29 September, 2015

Get a tow hitch on the rear or your Tesla. Then hook up a semi-trailer size truck. Have the interior packed floor to ceiling with shelves the right height to accomadate about 1000 generators. Fill then all up with gas and wire the electrical power to your Tesla battery. Fire up all the generators. Then take off on an around the country trip and tell us how it works out. I think you're on to something here.

whitex | 30 September, 2015

The only way to charge white driving is get a trailer with an engine that will push your Model S while it is charging using regen. You'll need to work out the throttle controls, but if are looking for a contraption to have a Model S drive on gasoline, that's probably your only choice (may not be legal, but at least it doesn't violate laws of physics). ;-)

prp | 30 September, 2015

@mskinner, don't worry about them. A few people on here suffer from low self esteem, and try to boost it by having a cheap shot at others.

Pages