Forums

Window rolls down by itself overnight

Window rolls down by itself overnight

I’ve been having this problem since I took delivery several months ago and the techs have been working on it OTA but it still happens.

Anyone else have this issue?

Atom12 | 2 December, 2018

@Magic 8 Ball, what will it take? My story: I assumed it was me. I put sticky notes on the driver controls and the right rear window. This reminded me to be vigilant in my observations. I returned from a shopping trip and the right rear window had rolled down a couple of inches. Service "re-calibrated" (I think this is just holding the switch to the stops for twenty seconds). Problem solved.

Magic 8 Ball | 2 December, 2018

@Atoms12 It would seem odd that calibration would "solve" phantom window down and cases like yours sound more compelling but I went through a few years on the Cmax Forum and read accounts of people putting tape over the port and then removing the tape etc. only to finally come to the realization it was them before and after the tape.

Like I said phantom window down may be real but I am not reading widespread accounts, just maybe less than 30 and certainly less than 100 stories here. Time will tell but there are many stories here already from people that thought it happened to them to realize they accidentally hit the window down switch and did not notice.

Atom12 | 2 December, 2018

@Magic 8 Ball, I can only speak from my experience. I will add that it didn’t start happening until after a major service. The driver door and front bumper were replaced (unrelated to phantom window issue).

Magic 8 Ball | 2 December, 2018

@Atom12 It is tough to generalize that all of these accounts are, in fact, related. Coincidence is a possibility also. More data needed. I have not heard anyone confirm that TESLA service is aware and knows of a fix for phantom window down.

riccifrance | 2 December, 2018

I think despite the phantom windows rolling down or accidentally touching the buttons while exiting the car, it would be a good idea to have an automatic windows closing when locking the car. I mean, of you are locking the car, it means tut you want it close right? So why not have them closing automatically when the doors are locked.

kristijanaoravec | 2 December, 2018

Happened the other night during rare LA rain. Luckily we caught it before we went to sleep so it didn’t get more rained in. Happened one other time.

G.Molina | 3 December, 2018

I've had the car for about a month. Happened to me twice in the past week, both times the front passenger window was completely open. Got rained on the second time. Taking it in to the service center on Thursday.

terminator9 | 3 December, 2018

Can I get that feature (window control) in the app? :)

Tesmat0 | 4 December, 2018

After exiting the car and while my wife was still inside in the front passenger seat, I did my usual walk-around window check and all was well. When she eventually opened her door one of the rear windows immediately rolled down. Since there's no button for that rear window on the front passenger side, it doesn't make sense that it was a driver side problem.

G.Molina | 10 December, 2018

I wanted to circle back around on this. I took my M3 into the service center last Thursday and they replaced the window regulator (whatever that is) on the offending window and recalibrated all four windows. It took them about an hour. It has only been a few days, but no issues so far.

gaspi101 | 10 December, 2018

G.Molina: Happy to hear it! Congrats.

dave999z | 19 December, 2018

Just got my car back from service today. They replaced some window module and... now the window control doesn't even work properly (does not go down automatically with a full press - you have to hold it down continuously - and when it gets to the bottom it doesn't slow down but instead just abruptly slams down). Great. Have to take it back in next week.

mdaware | 19 December, 2018

i too had both rear window regulators replaced at sc after coming back to a wet backseat

Tesmat0 | 19 December, 2018

SC asked for times at which the window problems occurred so they could remotely access the logs in my M3 and try to determine the cause. Gave them two times, different windows. Heard from them a few days later that apparently the window switches in the driver side door handle were emitting spurious electrical signals that were the source of the problem and the switch assembly needs to be replaced. They also want to replace a window regulator on the passenger side.

There's not enough time to get the service done before I leave for a milder climate, so service has been scheduled for the Spring. In the meantime my M3 will stay snug and plugged in my garage.

jedanielee | 27 December, 2018

This just happened to me tonigh, less than an hour ago, for my M3. Took my father out and got back to both front windows all the way down in the public parking lot. Nothing seemed to be amiss, but still a bit disconcerting... I'll read this thread in the morning to see what my options are.

Bryan.whitton | 28 December, 2018

I had the same problem. I would have people telling me that the passenger rear window was partially down while it was charging at work. I would get into the car in the morning in my garage and I would notice the same thing.

I called the SC and scheduled a time to get it "fixed". Then I was reading about the same issue by many folks in this very forum. First I read about the calibration of the windows then in the same thread I read that it was human error, that as people were leaving the car they would touch one of the buttons momentarily and a window, usually the passenger rear, would move 3 to 4 inches down.

So I re-calibrated the windows and then changed where I would touch the door to exit the car. Lo and behold the window issue stopped. Then one day while in a hurry to get out I reverted to my old way of exiting the car and sure enough the rear window rolled down 3 or 4 inches.

I have continued to create the habit of using the arm rest as the grab point rather that the handle at the front near the buttons. No more issue.

Just my experience.

ODWms | 28 December, 2018

That does sound about right. Not to negate other prople’s experiences, but I'd be hard pressed to believe this isn’t the case in at least some of these issues.

langolier | 28 December, 2018

Five times for me since Nov. 30. Various windows, sometimes partially down, sometimes fully down. Twice in the overnight rain.

After the first time I made it a practice to inspect the windows after exiting the car. Definitely no button mishaps involved in at least 4 of my 5 experiences. Unlikely a button mishap was involved in the first one.

henry.groover | 28 December, 2018

I have had this happen a few times in the 3 months we've had the car. I found out about the recalibration here on the forum and that fixed one problem (where the passenger window didn't go down all the way, still sticking up about 5mm).
I scheduled a service appointment and they are supposed to be fixing it. I've heard others mention the faulty controller, if it's a faulty switch controller that would certainly explain it.

cbenoit | 29 December, 2018

Chiming in here to say that I went out this morning and the driver's window was completely rolled down (am up in frozen north country; it was freezing rain overnight). Super disappointed, not only did I have to do my usual hair dryer thawing of all the door handles and windows, but now also thaw and then wipe down the ice all over the driver's seat. It was a mess. Already had a service appointment booked for next week, will add this to the list.

willvalle | 6 January, 2019

Took delivery Dec 9..that same night I found my passenger window partially down...it was parked outside, I assumed it was me and forgot about it...That is until I noticed it again and again I doubted myself...That is until today - during a massive winter storm I stepped out to check on my car and sure enough, I found the passenger Side window about 1/4" down...it was down enough to allow the rain to soak my interior...Needless to say I immediately grabbed a towel and began to dry off my seat, door panel, center console, carpet, etc. I'm positive my windows were all rolled up and now I'm positive something else is at play....I reached out to Tesla via email to get an idea of what is next. My car sleeps outside at the moment and so I can't afford to have a funky random window roll down.

AWDTesla | 7 January, 2019

Happened to me twice over the weekend. Passenger windows down half way.

pavanforest | 9 January, 2019

Oh weird, it happened to my M3 AWD last night when it rained :(
Yesterday morning I have enabled child locks and window locks. In the evening I just parked and went to a shop in rain when I start driving back I noticed out side noises coming in, when I checked both my rear windows rolled down, I'm sure I didn't do it. and seats and floors on back seats got wet.
My guess, windows rolled down when I started the car.

gvnpeacock | 11 January, 2019

The passenger window in my M3 has been dropping down maybe a quarter inch to the degree that I've gotten in the habit of nudging the windows up when I get in the car. The other day, I came to my car in a parking lot after it had been raining and the passenger window was half way down and the seat and floor were soaked. I'd been the only one in the car and I was pretty certain I hadn't left the window that way. Tonight, again in the rain after driving by myself, I returned to the car to find the passenger window half way down. I was startled by that and rolled it up and left it it for a while, when I came back, the driver's side window was half way down. I'm really concerned about this. It seems to related to the rain. Tesla needs to fix this.

ericgivens | 12 January, 2019

I have experienced this problem since day 1, third visit from the Ranger scheduled for the 24'th of this month in hopes of resolving. The Ranger did confirm that unlike the M S/X the M3 does not have a window recalibration feature accessible to the owner through the window switches. The M3 window calibration I observed required the Tesla laptop and a direct connection to the car.

tony987654321 | 20 January, 2019

My white AWD Model 3 with software version 2018.50.5 did rolled down it's front driver side door window by itself.

On Jan 19,2019 night I parked my car outside and plugged it in. Checked the carging rate in car screen through window and left. The window was closed that time. App showed that car is locled. During snow storm came with rain. Next noon I found the window rolled down and water in it.

Window was closed at night before I left. If it was open I would have felt chilling cold while driving. So there is no question that I left window rolled down.

Looks like Model 3 is water proof. I used towel to a absorb all water in the car door. Luckily it was not much water. Maybe the way I parked and the wall saved it from lot of rain water. Just running the car heat to dry the carpet. I had rubber mat so most of the water was on the rubber mat and little reached the car base carpet.

I am really unhappy with Tesla software. It's app did not even warn. It showed car is locked properly when I checked during night. Next day in the noon when I turn on heat using Tesla app than it gave warning that one door is open. Than I ran to car door and got to know that water has entered the car.

Never leave Tesla cars under open sky. Very bad experience with my first car. Tesla is making defective cars and selling them at premium prices.

I wish somehow Tesla can take this car back and give me full refund. Maybe I should have purchased it after 3-4 years when Tesla have learnt how to make good cars. It feels like Tesla is just experimenting with people. Door handles, doors , windows, autopilot nothing works in this car. Only good thing is acceleration and maybe it's because of just electric motor and any electric car will have it so what Tesla is doing for so many years that they can't even design properly working doors.

tony987654321 | 20 January, 2019

My white AWD Model 3 with software version 2018.50.5 did rolled down it's front driver side door window by itself.

On Jan 19,2019 night I parked my car outside and plugged it in. Checked the charging rate in car screen through window and left. The window was closed that time. App showed that car is locked. During snow storm came with rain. Next noon I found the window rolled down and water in it.

Window was closed at night before I left. If it was open I would have felt chilling cold while driving. So there is no question that I left window rolled down.

Looks like Model 3 is water proof. I used towel to a absorb all water in the car door. Luckily it was not much water. Maybe the way I parked and the wall saved it from lot of rain water. Just running the car heat to dry the carpet. I had rubber mat so most of the water was on the rubber mat and little reached the car base carpet.

I am really unhappy with Tesla software. It's app did not even warn. It showed car is locked properly when I checked during night. Next day in the noon when I turn on heat using Tesla app than it gave warning that one door is open. Than I ran to car door and got to know that water has entered the car.

Never leave Tesla cars under open sky. Very bad experience with my first car. Tesla is making defective cars and selling them at premium prices.

I wish somehow Tesla can take this car back and give me full refund. Maybe I should have purchased it after 3-4 years when Tesla have learnt how to make good cars. It feels like Tesla is just experimenting with people. Door handles, doors , windows, autopilot nothing works in this car. Only good thing is acceleration and maybe it's because of just electric motor and any electric car will have it so what Tesla is doing for so many years that they can't even design properly working doors.

johnw | 22 January, 2019

3 times since October. twice passenger front. Today, both rears about an inch

Ciriart | 23 January, 2019

The problem is very real...

We've been having the windows roll down since we got our car in October. It happened twice so far this month. We park, windows are rolled up, then at some point either the front or real passenger windows rolls itself all the way down.

We had a mobile Tesla ranger recalibrate the windows, but we continue to have the issue.

Bad news is that we live in a rainforest.

AWDTesla | 23 January, 2019

Yeah, tesla ranger comig to look at my windows next week, amongst a list of other things. I've read new regulators will fix the problem.

langolier | 23 January, 2019

AWDLRM3 has been at SC since 12/31 for front passenger restraint system warning and random window roll down problem. Still 'staged' (whatever that means). Don't know which is taking the time. They've only mentioned the airbag problem.

RES IPSA | 23 January, 2019

Maybe your M3's are haunted by some sort of spirit... Have any of your tried the services of a spiritual authority to remove the possible ghost?

AWDTesla | 24 January, 2019

@langolier yeah we have the same restraint system warning but for the middle back seat. That seat belt doesn't retract anymore so I can't use this car with my kids anymore until its fixed.

leberta | 24 January, 2019

I have had an issue with the rear passenger window (and other windows) on our Model 3 dropping any where from 2 ins. to 5 to 6 ins. since the day the car was delivered. Yes it was delivered in this condition. It has been in the Tesla Service Center for this problem for well over 30 days on 3 separate occasions. As a matter of fact it's still there on its third attempt to be fixed and yes no answers as to why this vehicle does this. I have the vehicle for 80 days and out of the 80 days it has been in the Tesla Service Center for 35 of those days. Totally fed up.

jdeau9 | 4 February, 2019

Ghost Windows: This is currently happening to me. I park, go into a store and come back out to a window down. The first few times I discounted this to human error, but then it happened in the rain a couple times and I know for certain I did not leave my windows fully open in rain storm.
Nothing was found during my first trip to the Tesla service center. I left with a request to monitor the situation and document if it happens again. I did document the next two times I returned to my car to find open windows. Results of my second trip to the service center are the same as the first. They can't find anything in the data that indicates an issue even with the date and time of the occurrences.
Is there anyone having a similar issue? Did you figure out a resolution?

Magic 8 Ball | 4 February, 2019

When you exit the car it is easy to accidentally roll down window(s) (wrist makes contact with buttons), without noticing.

don.lind | 4 February, 2019

Seems like a software fix could be considered. Something along this line:
1) when the car is locked as you're walking away (or if you use the "lock" button in the app), all windows should be rolled up automatically (in case they're down).
2) when the car is parked and locked, no inputs from switches or other software should ever trigger any window to be rolled down.
3) if the car is parked and locked, and a window is somehow down, notification via the app should be sent and the window should be rolled back up.

What about a person sitting in a parked tesla who wants the window down?
If it's locked, they should unlock it and then the rolling down wouldn't be inhibited.
Or, the software could even do a popup on the screen requiring an explicit "yeah, do it... I want a window down but the doors locked."

Automatic roll ups could be an issue if someone or something is sticking out of the window.
I presume there would be some way for the rolling up to notice significant resistance and stop rolling up.
Much like a garage door knows when it's hit something while closing.

Then there's the super-low probability emergency where someone's gotta get out of the car and the doors aren't working and it's locked and in park...

Lots of things to think about... and I'm sure some issues that I didn't mention here.
This is complicated.
But windows can't be allowed to do an "uncommanded roll down" while parked in the rain.

I've seen it twice in the past two months since I got my M3.
One might have been human error. But pretty darn sure the other one wasn't.
Nothing bad happened other then "wow, that's not too good" thoughts.
I, too, live in the rainy Pacific Northwest.
But "The Good Car" is garaged while home, so it's only when I'm out and about...

JR250 | 4 February, 2019

Hi all. I've had this happen to me also. Not sure where the root cause is but I know the window buttons are way too sensitive. They actuate at the very top of their travel range so any slight brush against them rolls the windows down.

If this is the source of the issue, it might be fixable OTA: add a 500ms delay between button push and the window rolling down. In Tesla fashion, call it "window chill mode".

JR

LadyGrey | 5 February, 2019

I just had this happen yesterday - passenger window was rolled all the way down when I returned from inside the bank - car was locked. I freaked but oddly feel better seeing that I'm not the only one. I have 2018.50.0 firmware. They'll fix it.

john.t.keyser | 16 February, 2019

I have had my car since July. No major software glitches until this week. Now on two separate days I have had the car refuse to go into drive, and in addition on two different occassions my car has rolled down a window part way while it was sitting parked with no one in it. This is a huge safety issue as it would be easy for things to get stolen.

john.t.keyser | 16 February, 2019

Also, it would suck if this happened while it was rainning. Tesla please get your act together. There is no reason the software should be able to roll the windows down while the car is parked and unattended.

Lisaseanscott | 17 February, 2019

This has happened to me at three different random times. Always the passenger side rear window. I tired recalibrating myself. I keep watching the forums to see if there is a fix....

wahhabb | 18 February, 2019

Raised hand for this problem intermittently, sometimes fully lowered, sometimes slightly, I did have a neighbor call me during heavy rain that my rear window was down. All of my windows except drivers’ have experienced this at least once. I’ll try the calibration fix, but would love to see Tesla address this.

wahhabb | 18 February, 2019

Raised hand for this problem intermittently, sometimes fully lowered, sometimes slightly, I did have a neighbor call me during heavy rain that my rear window was down. All of my windows except drivers’ have experienced this at least once. I’ll try the calibration fix, but would love to see Tesla address this.

jamiempeters | 19 February, 2019

This has been happening to me as well, ever since taking delivery of my M3. It only happens about once every 2 weeks or so and on every occasion but one, nobody was in the passenger side of the car. It only happens on the passenger side, both front and rear. I have tried to "recalibrate" the windows as others have mentioned and also have tried doing a soft reboot of the system but nothing has fixed this problem. For those of you who have had the service center replace parts, did this fix the issue for you?? I have an appointment this weekend, hoping they can fix it....

Am also having issues with an Advanced Auto Pilot free trial software download disabling my car... I never received an invite for this free offer, it just appeared on the screen one day. The program never finishes downloading and I have to reboot the computer in order to clear the message and drive the car. Very annoying. Tesla said this is a known issue and they are working on a solution.

johnw | 20 February, 2019

Me too- probably 7 incidents in 5 months. No pattern, different windows every time.

annemarie.brest | 23 February, 2019

Me too. 4 or 5 times. Seems totally random. Always happened in public parking lots. Once I got rain in the car. Front passenger window only but always all the way down. Bummer. Did anybody got the problem fixed for good?

c.viau1 | 24 February, 2019

YUP , Twice this past month. Once during the night, snowy btw. So next morning a nice white stuff on my back passenger seat.... The next time, while supercharging during a trip, went back to my car to find the passenger side front window rolled down completely. No passenger thought :)

ODWms | 24 February, 2019

Has anyone ever seen the window roll down by itself? So far, what I’ve heard is from folks who come back to the car and find the window rolled down. Has anybody actually witnessed this in action?

mmaitre | 14 March, 2019

Same for me. 5 times this next 3 month windows roll down. Is no one here have also a weird problem I thing associate with electric sensor/windows phantom, when blog charging tesla home. The amps drop down to zero after going to 23 amps - 3 times befores return to normal amps 48amps and charge normally.

Pages