Forums

Anyone else getting "Access Denied" when visiting www.tesla.com?

Anyone else getting "Access Denied" when visiting www.tesla.com?

Here's what I see:

==============
Access Denied
Reference Number: 18.4c1bba46.1530065503.52b7146d

If you believe this is in error, please contact waf@tesla.com

pnajar | 26 June, 2018

No issue here

Xerogas | 26 June, 2018

Fascinating. It works if I hit their website from a different ip address using my phone as a hotspot. Last night I was experimenting with downloading all the forums to a local database so I can add a search function to the forums. Wonder if they blocked my ip address?

TeslaTap.com | 27 June, 2018

I suspect Tesla issues a "Access denied" for bots that scan the site (like you may be doing). They may see a massive amount of data being extracted and temporarily (or permanently) kill that IP as a security measure.

I've done something similar on a site, where I have a white list of those that are allowed to do a deep scan (Google, Bing, etc.). I was getting hammered by bots scanning the site, and getting rid of bot IPs that had zero value to me dramatically improved the site's performance.

If you get it fixed, you might scale back the extraction speed.

Xerogas | 27 June, 2018

@TeslaTap.com: "I suspect Tesla issues a "Access denied" for bots that scan the site (like you may be doing).

If you get it fixed, you might scale back the extraction speed."
------

Thanks, yes I suspect the same, thanks for your reasoned answer. Not sure what a reasonable speed is: code is single-threaded and took many many hours to pull down just 26 MB of data. I may have to spin up an AWS instance with a different ip to continue.

I reached out to the provided email address and my local service center...we’ll see if I ever get unbanned! This prevents me from managing my car, shopping for add-one, etc. Maybe I could ask Cox cable to reprovision my modem.

BTW, local SQLite search is blazing fast!

NKYTA | 28 June, 2018

@Xerogas, are you abiding by robots.txt?

If not, you are part of the problem, for any solution.

TeslaTap.com | 28 June, 2018

@Xerogas - Sounds like you have an interesting project. I was actually think about doing a bot forum extraction and search a while back, but was just to busy on other projects (and had never done one before). Some of the things you can do with that data:

- Search for private threads
- Auto identify real owners (from private thread posts, but requires that an owner created or posted to a private thread)
- Identify people who change their forum name (i.e. keef changes it to hide who he is). Requires periodic scans to do this.
- Save historical posts
- Count thread creation and posts counts by name

You might limit scans to 15-20 MB per day, but I have no idea what the Tesla limits might be. Anyway, good luck with the project! Also I'd reboot the modem. Depending on the ISP they may issue a new IP address for you automatically, assuming you have a dynamic IP.

Luckypal | 9 August, 2018

@Xerogas could you provide an update regarding this issue? Have you contacted waf@tesla.com and is the issue resolved?

Reason I'm asking is I have the exact same issue. I contacted waf@tesla.com but haven't gotten any reply yet.

Xerogas | 9 August, 2018

@Luckypal: "@Xerogas could you provide an update regarding this issue? Have you contacted waf@tesla.com and is the issue resolved?

Reason I'm asking is I have the exact same issue. I contacted waf@tesla.com but haven't gotten any reply yet."
------
It resolved about a week after I emailed waf and my service center. I am guessing my experiments with downloading huge chunks of the forums with a script triggered an automatic block.

Nobody ever emailed me back.

Luckypal | 9 August, 2018

Thank you for the quick reply @Xerogas. I guess I'll have to wait for now!

Xerogas | 9 August, 2018

@Luckypal: also try asking your cable company to reprovision your modem. Often takes a while, but would solve the problem. I have no way of knowing if that was what fixed mine.

michellemodest | 10 November, 2018

having this issue now

neil.weinstock | 13 November, 2018

I also can't post any new threads right now, same error message.

kerry.schwab | 19 November, 2018

Same here.

TeslaTap.com | 19 November, 2018

If you get the Access Denied message while posting, try cutting your message into smaller posts. Yes, annoying, but it does often work - even with the identical text.

Tesla-David | 19 November, 2018

I have also been getting the access denied error message, especially when attempting to post links.

lilbean | 19 November, 2018

I get “access denied”when I try to post links to the Tesla website, yet the spammers can post links.

ian.corneille | 11 July, 2019

same issue. Comes up when I try to post a new thread. But if this comment goes through, then it allows me to comment

jimglas | 12 July, 2019

Posting to the Tesla Forums is now limited to verified Owners. To verify your account, contact forums@tesla.com.

andy.connor.e | 12 July, 2019

I used to get that all the time. Seems like they fixed whatever the issue was.

zlz"> | 15 July, 2019

https:/asdd

zlz"> | 15 July, 2019
zlz"> | 15 July, 2019
zlz123 | 15 July, 2019

asdadssadads