Forums

Tesla for college + Parking and charging

Tesla for college + Parking and charging

Hello. I am considering getting a Tesla car for college in a few years. Would this be ideal? And if so, how and where would I charge it? Could I charge it in the dorm parkings? Thanks.

lilbean | 7 July, 2018

That depends on the availability of a power outlet. The car comes with an adapter for a 120v outlet.

jordanrichard | 8 July, 2018

“In a few years.....”? I gather then that you are in middle school right now...........

Also unless the college you get into has public chargers on the campus, I don’t think you will be able to charger the car.

Madatgascar | 8 July, 2018

A lot of colleges do have free chargers. I stopped at a few in CA back in 2013-2014 before superchargers became widespread. Download the Plugshare app and check out the colleges you are considering.

SamO | 8 July, 2018

No problem. Return in a few years and we'll explain how its done.

Sleepydoc1 | 8 July, 2018

You didn't say where you are. In CA many of the schools don't let freshman living on campus get parking. As for Tesla, great car. But horribly scary for a new driver. Too fast and things happen before you know it. Start off with an slower ice with good safety structure and then get the Tesla. I have 2 teens and I need them in something they can can control. It takes time to get the muscle memory to respond as fast as your car can do things. Sorry I spent you'd like a dad, but you asked.

jpcollins9 | 9 July, 2018

UAB in Birmingham, AL has approximately 20 on-campus chargers for students and faculty. I seriously doubt they are unique in that respect.

nzepeda41 | 13 July, 2018

It is very ideal. Talk with the University prior to purchasing your Tesla. Mine lets me park in the faculty parking and plug in there. I heard rumors that they will be installing a charging station on campus as more people are purchasing them.

Xerogas | 13 July, 2018

@DanielR1: if you can afford it responsibly, go for it.

HeinekenMS100D | 13 July, 2018

Tesla for college? I would focus on college, graduate, get a great job and when you're ready, then buy one. But hey, guess I'm old-fashioned.

janendan | 21 July, 2018

Do most Tesla owners have Chargepoint account for public J-1772 chargers?

Peachybooks | 7 August, 2018

Chargepoint, EVgo and Blink are all good to have because you never know when you’ll need them. Especially Chargepoint. I like the freedom of using the add to (smart phone) wallet feature with Chargepoint, the tech at their 800 number will walk you through how to add it from the ap.

Most CA colleges do have charging stations close enough. Even if they don’t, you can always charge nearby and Lytton/Uber, walk the rest of the way. I have observed that many Ev owners have a scooter or bike to take complete their commute. Added exercise and still avoiding smelly gas pumps.
Best regards,
whatever you decide. Paige

rxlawdude | 7 August, 2018

Why respond to a thread where the OP leaves a question, gets answers but never is seen again?

Oops, I did it.

jimglas | 2 November, 2018

fragged!

kcheng | 2 November, 2018

Wouldn't want to be the parents who had to pay that kid's insurance.

rxlawdude | 2 November, 2018

There's a special place in hell for any student that buys a paper off the Internet in my ethics course.

And likely an expulsion.

Rachel McGeorge | 20 June, 2019

@katie06webber, It seems to me that it will take more time for this.

IsabelleDobell | 20 June, 2019

I think Tesla would be a good addition to a college student.

d4deeptibisht | 20 June, 2019

Yup buying a new one for college wont be a good choice. Better get a job first before picking one. https://bestproduct.in

kaffine | 21 June, 2019

rxlawdude You teach ethics if they are not good students they wont know it isn't ethical to buy a paper online.

Are they supposed to wait until they start work to find out that plagiarism saves time?

Sorry I work in an industry that plagiarism is common.

Katie Webber | 24 June, 2019

Tesla is quite an expensive car. For a student, this is too much waste. Refuelling this car is cheap, but maintenance costs thousands of dollars. I believe that you should not use it during college. I would rather spend this money on additional education or some kind of courses. There are many free educational websites, but attendance at the courses is more efficient. If you do not want to spend money on it, then you can use the conclusion sentence Sow. You can find it on the link https://papersowl.com/conclusion-generator I really like Tesla cars, but you have to understand that this is still more a concept than a full-fledged car. I think electronic engines are the future, but so far there are many limitations in using this. I want to buy Tesla in a few years. I think that in 2022 the battery will be enough for 1000 miles without recharging. I want to write a short article with my own reasoning. After 15-20 years, gasoline engines will no longer be in cars and that's fine. The environment is polluted at too high rates and cars contribute to this

andy.connor.e | 24 June, 2019

What college student owns a BMW?

From a college student's point of view, to have a car at all a luxury.

andy.connor.e | 24 June, 2019

*From a college student's point of view, to have a car at all is a luxury.*

posts get posted with missing words

TabascoGuy | 25 June, 2019

My daughter just finished her 2nd year of college. Her winter beater is a BMW.

andy.connor.e | 29 July, 2019

ihax flagged