Forums

V9 Dashcam USB issue

V9 Dashcam USB issue

Anyone who has V9 already and having trouble with USB for dashcam not reading when plugged in car? I did it the first time and it showed up on my status bar but I removed the USB to check it on my mac. When I replugged it on the car USB port, it wont show on the status bar anymore.

jimglas | 7 October, 2018

were you able to use a Mac thumb drive?

kenj | 7 October, 2018

Yes -- be sure to follow the instructions on formatting the USB drive and make sure you create the folder that is expected or it will not work.

mathwhiz | 7 October, 2018

NB - folder must be a root directory.

LTR | 7 October, 2018

The USB must be formatted in FAT32
This is not the standard formatting currently selectable in Windows.

If you are a Windows user, suggest this program to format in FAT32...
https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/smartdisk-fat32-format-utility-t...

Then just make a folder called TeslaCam and plug in to one of the two front USB ports.

LTR | 7 October, 2018

Direct download link: (no 'newsletter signup' required)

https://www.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownload.php/45b142b4988de815a7497f313...

kenj | 7 October, 2018

Dashcam
You can now record and store video footage captured by your car’s forward-facing camera onto a USB flash drive. To record:

Configure your USB flash drive by formatting in the 'FAT32' (Windows) / 'MS-DOS (FAT)' (Mac) file architecture and add a base-level folder in the flash drive called 'TeslaCam'.
Insert configured USB flash drive into either of the USB ports in the front row.
When properly configured, the Dashcam icon will be displayed in the status bar with a red dot indicating that it is recording.
Note, the USB must be plugged in while driving to record.
Tap the icon to save a 10-minute video clip or press and hold to pause recording. Recordings not downloaded after an hour will be deleted. Be sure you have sufficient space on your flash drive to allow for saving (each minute of video recorded uses approximately 30 MB; the 1-hour circular buffer requires ~1.8 GB of free space).

Teslarati1 | 8 October, 2018

Thanks! I did all the USB formatting instructions but I guess I found out why it wont work. In the cars electronic manual, there's a note stating that dashcam may not be available for some that are built earlier than August 2017. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but does that show on your manual too?

kenj | 8 October, 2018

Yes. Cars earlier than August 2017 are AP 2.0

Triggerplz | 8 October, 2018

My MX is earlier than August 2017 and it doesn’t have AP 2.0

Vawlkus | 10 October, 2018

Crap, I think mine falls under that as well. :(
Oh well.

Teslapalooza | 10 October, 2018

The people who bought before Aug 2017 paid the same exact price for the car as the ones who bought after Aug 2017. So why are they short changing those of us who bought before Aug 2017? Are there any hardware differences? If so, is it possible to upgrade to the 2.5 hardware?

Vawlkus | 11 October, 2018

2.5 no, but they are working on a swappable MCU for v3 that’s more powerful than either.

Teslapalooza | 12 October, 2018

@Vawlkus, so the only difference between AP2.5 and 2.0 is the more powerful MCU in 2.5? If so that would explain why the USB dashcam recording works only in 2.5.

Vawlkus | 12 October, 2018

I’m not sure that’s the _only_ difference, but that’s a major one.

ca.best | 15 October, 2018

Does anyone know why I'm getting camera icon with x mark.
When i plug in the drive everything works, but after about hour, I see the icon with X mark.

Thanks

MisterBee | 16 October, 2018

Must you have to have Ap2.5 or will dashcam work with version Ap 2.0?

MisterBee | 16 October, 2018

How do you definatly check which version of AP your car has.?

nipper2 | 17 October, 2018

Does the X90 have the dashcam?

Model - X | 17 October, 2018

Pretty sure any car with AP 2.5 will have it with the V9 update.

Yes but does the 90 have a camera for the dashcam

jimglas | 17 October, 2018

close to a record
I saw 10 once

johnse | 18 October, 2018

@nipper

Some 90’s have 2.0, some have 2.5. The change to 100 packs was not made at the same time as the 2.5 update.

Triggerplz | 18 October, 2018

Some 90’s have 1.0 If you have a 1.0 like I have you SOL for dash cam and the 360 view

michael.pool | 19 October, 2018

@ca.best, I believe its a storage capacity issue. Just ran into the same x, looked at usb drive and it was full. From a few hours of driving. Im looking to see if there is a limit, I would have thought that the files would purge and rewrite..

LTR | 19 October, 2018

Definitely not a storage issue when it happened to me. Had many GB of free space when the dashcam stopped recording. Reformatted and working again.

tommyaros | 19 October, 2018

Same issue here, i reset the screen and shut down car and it worked again.

jjgunn | 20 October, 2018

Formatted 16 GB drive w/Windows 8.1 at FAT32.

USB stick is low profile about 1/2" long. Don't need any size larger than 32GB so I figured 16GB would be fine.

Plugged in & immediately started working - no issues so far.

preachemail | 20 October, 2018

How do you determine if you've got AP 2.0 vs AP 2.5?

syedzia | 20 October, 2018

yes my car is bought just 2 weeks ago. i am presuming i have 2.5? not sure how to figure that out.

jjgunn | 21 October, 2018

preachemail | October 20, 2018
How do you determine if you've got AP 2.0 vs AP 2.5?
-------------
https://jsfiddle.net/qja8wjxc/95/show

Try that from your car browser

jjgunn | 21 October, 2018

Had my USB drive stop recording too.

Pulled it out & checked USB. Windows 8.1 reported "errors" scan disk to repair . I scanned - windows repaired the USB stick all working again.

I checked out some of the videos on the USB drive. Excellent video quality so if you have an incident it will be instantly clear to determine fault/what happened

Sagarvr | 28 October, 2018

PROBLEM FIXED!
I too had difficulty getting my MS to recognize the dashcam USB. At first, it worked well. Then after a few days I saw the 'x' symbol on the dashcam icon. Previously, I would reformat the drive, recreate the TeslaCam folder and it would start working again. Went through this exercise multiple days. Yesterday, the reformatting trick did not work. The MS just did not recognize the USB drive which is a SanDisk 32GB mini drive, about thumb-nail size.

I rebooted the MCU and the dashboard computer and that too did not help. Finally, I used a suggestion of a contributor on this blog (sorry I did not record his/her name) and reformatted the USB using the most secure option. On a Mac, it is under security options in Erase. The 'strongest' version (drag button to far right) will rewrite the USB seven times. Be aware that it can take a very very long time to complete, over an hour in my case. Then created the TeslaCam folder and voila! The MS recognized the USB and started recording. Now it is yet to be seen how long it will keep functioning. Fingers crossed!

wmyers | 28 October, 2018

If you want something that doesn't stick out so much. Try the Sandisk Cruzer Fit line. Very compact.

wmyers | 28 October, 2018

If you want something that doesn't stick out so much. Try the Sandisk Cruzer Fit line. Very compact.

iblatnik | 23 November, 2018

Hi followed all the instruction to format the usb but looks like the dashcam icon doesn't pop up on my tesla X 90D.
Is there a maximum size USB I can use I'm using a 128GB?
Also do I have to name the USB key or leave it Blank?
Any advice welcome thank you

jjgunn | 23 November, 2018

If you have AP 2.0 - I believe the USB TeslaCam is not operational on the older hardware.

TeslaTap.com | 24 November, 2018

@iblatnik - I strongly suspect you have HW2.0, when HW2.5 is required for the dashcam (cars made after July, 31, 2017). Size does not matter much - 2 GB or larger, and there is no upper limit. Name of the USB drive does not matter. Here's more details from an article I wrote: https://teslatap.com/articles/ultimate-tesla-dashcam-guide/#what_about_t...

iblatnik | 24 November, 2018

TeslaTap.com and jjgunn
I think you are right as my car was delivered in april 2017
thank you for your support.

thom.collins | 28 November, 2018

Following the thumb drive formatting directions, my DashCam seems to be capturing the video in one minute increments, but when I try to view them, they all have a December 31, 1969 creation date. Pretty sure that is not the time they were captured. Any ideas on how I can reset the time on my DashCam?

Renegade Misfit | 28 November, 2018

The files are named by the time they were created, so a programmer could make a tool that changes the timestamps for the files accordingly. There might even be some software utilities that could be configured to do it, but there are definitely many that would let you do it manually... not a task I'd look forward to for a lot of files.

Renegade Misfit | 28 November, 2018

Of course, better yet, a Tesla programmer could make the dashcam feature set the timestamp automatically when creating the file, which is what you'd expect, and what *I* suspect they'll eventually get around to. I was just talking about what you can do to fix the problem with videos created before they do that, if it's important to you.

jjgunn | 28 November, 2018

Turn on NTP for God sakes!! ;-D

Pages